Spill your blasphemous opinions on CRPGs here

- D&D is only relevant to people desperately clinging to childhood memories of sweaty nerds spending the summer in their mom's basement.

- People who claim they understand Planescape: Torment and accuse everyone who don't like it of not are usually the ones blinded by the pseudo-philosophical writing in Torment because they've never read a real book. No, your fantasy crap literature doesn't count.

Finally something blasphemous. Well done, my good sir!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

- D&D is only relevant to people desperately clinging to childhood memories of sweaty nerds spending the summer in their mom's basement.

- People who claim they understand Planescape: Torment and accuse everyone who don't like it of not are usually the ones blinded by the pseudo-philosophical writing in Torment because they've never read a real book. No, your fantasy crap literature doesn't count.

Finally something blasphemous. Well done, my good sir!

I wouldn't call that blasphemous as much as a misinformed attempt to insult.

There are oodles of blasphemous posts in the first few pages of this thread that are more informed and don't attempt to insult.

The quintessence of blasphemy is to insult.

Not really, irreverence is. Insulting can certainly be a part of irreverence, but something blasphemous requires something held sacred, in high regard. In the case of this thread that's considered to be people's opinions of cRPGs, not the people themselves. The post that initiated this discussion was insulting a group of people, not being irreverent to their opinions.

Blasphemous: ' )#@$ you Zeus!'

Not blasphemous: '@)#*$ you for believing in Zeus!'

I agree that a more apt word for this thread would be 'heretical'.

• Like 1

I would prefer a character with predetermined backstory and personality integrated into the world and events with depth to a fully customizable "me" in most rpgs.

I like both with no preference for either.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The quintessence of blasphemy is to insult.

Not really, irreverence is. Insulting can certainly be a part of irreverence, but something blasphemous requires something held sacred, in high regard. In the case of this thread that's considered to be people's opinions of cRPGs, not the people themselves. The post that initiated this discussion was insulting a group of people, not being irreverent to their opinions.

Blasphemous: ' )#@$ you Zeus!'

Not blasphemous: '@)#*$ you for believing in Zeus!'

I agree that a more apt word for this thread would be 'heretical'.

I disagree. Blasphemy is to insult or rebuke that which is believed. Insult is an inevitable consequence.

Martin Luther was deemed a blasphemer. So was Salman Rushdie. And Jesus. No comparisons here, more of an observation about those who applied the label.

Personally, in the right circumstances, I'd wear it as a badge of pride.

I am off-topic but we are all no doubt enjoying the semantics. I agree that heresy (equally enjoyable) might have been a better phrase, but our dear friend Indira can hardly be blamed for that.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Look, you guys do not need to get butthurt over this. mkreku might have a good taste in women, but in cars, games and movies, he's about as cultured as joe sixpack waiting for the superbowl sunday half-time show. So in the context of the thread, his opinion fits like a glove.

Monte seems to get it perfectly though.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

An opinion inspired by the DA thread:

JRPGs have had better political intrigue than WRPGs, Suikoden 5 and FF12 do it better than any WRPGs which seem to be stuck in the classic "save the world from an ancient evil"

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I don't want political intrigue in a RPG.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

An opinion inspired by the DA thread:

JRPGs have had better political intrigue than WRPGs, Suikoden 5 and FF12 do it better than any WRPGs which seem to be stuck in the classic "save the world from an ancient evil"

JRPGs do mostly everything better than WRPGs.

EDIT: well I don't remember any political intrigue in FF12 but Princess Ashe was hot.

Edited by Drudanae

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

"JRPGs do mostly everything better than WRPGs."

No.

What are a few examples of that 'no'?

*Aside from that: wasn't the quote perfectly on topic? chaos.gif

I didn't see any examples of the "yes", either.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Combat, writing, dialogue, characters, graphics, music, sound, character systems, freedom, etc., etc.

My counterexamples on behalf of wRPGs: Combat, writing, dialogue, characters, graphics, music, sound, character systems, freedom, etc., etc.

A list of elements of games =/= examples.

Sure, it is. You asked me what WRPG did better so I told you.

But, I'll play your trolling game: A. PST has a better story, characetrs, and writing than vast majority of JRPG.

The M&Ms have better exploration than any JRPG.

The FOs have better role-playing than any JRPG.

The NWNs have better character systems than any JRPG.

D&D games by and large have better combat than any JRPG.

BG2 has the better 'overall package' than any JRPG.

And, I loved JRPGs and some are amongst my favorite games.

Capiche? Happy now? Is that  example enough?

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

But, I'll play your trolling game: A. PST has a better story, characetrs, and writing than vast majority of JRPG.

I wasn't trying to troll so much as be tongue in cheek.  But it did prompt a very interesting list, so now my incentives are all screwed up. 

I'd say those were good reasons... Of Fallout: While it's my favorite RPG, I don't think it's a better one than Planescape ~though I do think it the better game.

**"Better" is highly subjective, and itself subject to local attitudes and appreciation.  There is a cultural difference apparent in regional games... One cannot pin it to any particular person or small group of course, but it seems common that [generally] one market approaches a game as "What shall I do next", where the other's approach is "What should I do next; (as in 'supposed' to be doing next)"; this is a none too subtle difference in design, and can be the point of failure or success in that market.

In such circumstance, the open world and 'hands-off' developer approach can cause failure, and that would not be "better"; (while the reverse is also true ~ in a different region).

I think it's not a 'who is better' duel; rather it's more of a Peanut Butter vs Vegemite sort of contest ~if contest at all.  It's not easy to judge two competitors who are striving for different goals using different rules.

**It's funny, this brings to mind the Celts. Romans derided the Celtic artists for producing cartoony doodles in stone instead of masterful figures... and the Celtic knots and beard pullers were often absurdly complex... but they were forbidden to create accurate effigy, and were not always doing the art for human appreciation.

Edited by Gizmo

Not an RPG, but:

Am I literally the only one on Earth that not only saw Broken Age's ending coming a million miles away, but thought it made no sense?

No.

*Also: That was only 'Act 1', there is more of the game to come; later this year.

Edited by Gizmo