Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Veronica Mars - thought it was really well done.  Went with my brother who never really watched the show (he was familiar with the basics though) and he enjoyed it as well.  Like most of the episodes, its not really a "who dunnit?" so much as a "how will/can Veronica solve it?" so it is very much like an episode of the show, but bigger and with a gratuitous PG-13 F-word (which IMO pays off with Logan's PG-13 line at the end of the film).

Great seeing the characters again, kinda wish Wallace and Mac had bigger parts (even though they play important roles) and I always can use more of Veronica and her Dad.  And again Mr. Casablancas (since his first name got caught in the filter) reveals why he's a fan favorite (rendering the gag I placed in these parenthesis nonsensical).  And yet it was also pretty much the best thing I could expect, and definitely pleasing for this fan of the show.

I hope it won't be 7 years before we get to visit the characters again (in film, since there's a novel coming in a few months from Rob Thomas).

Why the hell would you watch a college girl detective TV show. Must be awesome indeed.  

She was in HS to start with, only in college in season 3. :) 

I like mystery movies and TV shows.  I'm currently watching THE CRIME DOCTOR series from Columbia, for example, and its a pretty good 40s era mystery series (not as funny as say, Torchy Blaine, The Falcoln or Ms. Withers or Michael Shayne, but still well done).

Combine that with a show that has some really, really good lines and an appealing cast and yeah, I really liked the TV series.  the movie is good too.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Reign of Assassins.

Wuxia film, co-directed by Chao-Bin Su and John Wu.

Set in ancient China, Michelle Yeoh playing the deadly assassin who abandoned her old life in an attempt to live a normal life, live, love and just not be evil...  Only to have her old "gang" turn up to disrupt things in a quest to find the remains of a mystical Buddhist monk.

That nice mix of human story, romance, tragedy, a little mystery, wrapped up around some very nicely choreographed and styled fight sequences and some great music.

Sure, it's a little predictable if you know the style of film, but it's still pretty darn engaging with its twists and turns before the conclusion.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just watched the Breakfast Club for the very first time. It's a p.cool movie, but I don't remember school being anything like that.

Super cool dancing, though.

Man, wish I could dance like that.

But I suck at dancing.

Such sadness.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Just watched the Breakfast Club for the very first time. It's a p.cool movie, but I don't remember school being anything like that.

When did you go to school? The Breakfast Club is actually a pretty good representation of what detention could be like at a lot of schools in the US in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I used to actually sometimes look forward to detention. :)

It's definitely not like that now in most places though.

Every teen should watch The Breakfast Club. Or read Catcher in the Rye.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

don't watch the sequel, it's absolutely awful

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

When did you go to school? The Breakfast Club is actually a pretty good representation of what detention could be like at a lot of schools in the US in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I used to actually sometimes look forward to detention. :)

Started '94. We had some wild time in the high school later, but it was never like in the movies. :)

When I try to remember now, I actually can't really describe it. Or let's say I don't know how to. It was rather peaceful most of the time, we had the generic groups of people who sticked together all the time and then that's it, kind of. Rather shallow stuff. Nobody has been really interested in doing something crazy. Just think about it: The most crazy thing we did, that nobody(!) else on the school ever(!!) did before, was taking blankets in summer and sitting on the grass in the big school yard. This is how crazy we had been and that should tell what kind of school life we had.

The impression I get from old american school movies is that the students private life was more connected with the school than in germany. For us (me?) everything interesting happened outside of school, never in school. While such american movies make it seem that when being young, the school is all around you, everywhere, all the time.

It's strange and like I wrote- I can't really describe the feels.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Started '94. We had some wild time in the high school later, but it was never like in the movies. :)

When I try to remember now, I actually can't really describe it. Or let's say I don't know how to. It was rather peaceful most of the time, we had the generic groups of people who sticked together all the time and then that's it, kind of. Rather shallow stuff. Nobody has been really interested in doing something crazy. Just think about it: The most crazy thing we did, that nobody(!) else on the school ever(!!) did, was taking blankets in summer and sitting on the grass in the big school yard. This is how crazy we had been and that should tell what kind of school life we had.

The impression I get from american school movies is that the students private life was more connected with the school than in germany. For us (me?) everything interesting happened outside of school, never in school. While the american movies make it seem that when being young, the school is all around you.

Like I wrote- it's strange and I can't really describe it.

That makes sense.

Aye. In the US school is a larger part of life than in Germany for many kids (just noticed you're there and not here :)). For example, in most places here, sports are an integral part of the school, as is music, and other extracurricular activities. ie: having high school A play high school B in sport X is the norm here. From what I understand from talking to my relatives in Deutschland, that is not the case over there.

I could go on and on about crazy things I took part in and saw when I was in high school. :) One crazy example I can think of was a kid riding his motorcycle through the school, for which he got a few detentions, another was a kid and teacher having an argument that lead to the kid taking his desk through the window and sitting outside on the ledge in protest (second floor... but it was a big ledge). Funny stuff, hilarious at the time. Nowadays the former would probably be tasered (no kidding, this happens in schools here now) and the latter would cause the school to call in police and firetrucks freaking out about the kids safety instead of seeing the situation for the humorous one it was. Detention for me was almost always fun. As in the movie the teacher who was in charge of detention usually went off to do other things, leaving the students to do whatever, hilarity often ensued, and like in the movie the people in detention often came from different social groups.

Edited by Valsuelm

Heh, you would never ever have seen something like this in our school. Someone driving through the house with a motorcycle? He would be kicked from school instandly, or at least get a warning (3 of 3 and you are off from school). Moving your desk to somewhere else? The teacher would be like "what the f is wrong with you" and you get a warning. I have never seen a student having a serious argument with a teacher. They are the law, you obey. Everyone who didn't obey usually had been a huge idiot and social outsider.

But don't see this as "we are the slaves" or something. It was simply the mindset. Be serious, be grown up, or something along the lines.

Nowadays I feel we should have risked more, and be more active generally. There was no real "togetherness" - if you compare it with the Breakfast Club, when that rebell guy closed the door, everyone covered him, even though they had no reason to. In our school, the teacher would enter the room and some idiot would yell who did it. The teacher doesn't even have to ask. Meh.

Oh well. Now I have one of those "if I could jump back in time, I would do many things different" feels. :>

Edited by Lexx

don't watch the sequel, it's absolutely awful

There...was a sequel? I could have gone my entire life without knowing that.

It wasn't 100%, but the peer groupings of Breakfast Club were definitely around when I was in (public) highschool, in spades. Was never in detention tho.

Some 80's dancing was cool, but if you just went to social stuff or hung with kids at school, most of the time all you saw was that silly arm-swing motion "dancing." Like in that Terminator 1 club scene when the Terminator first finds Sara. The girl in the red skirt (and almost everyone else dancing). Sometimes when alone in a room I still do that. Habit. :disguise:

http://youtu.be/LTs8YnKfSsU?t=33s

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just watched the new Robin Hood film, the one with Russel Crowe, and I was somewhat entertained. Personally i've never had much of a liking for the gentlemans acting skills, nor found him to be much of a charismatic lead, and that hampered the film somewhat for me. However I liked a few of the period details they threw in, the presence of the Marshall etcetera, and generally I did not find it too egregious. Certainly it was far more pleasing than fairy tales like Braveheart that make a mockery of history. Still the real history of that period was far more interesting than what they managed to shoehorn into the film, and leaves me wondering why we in the west can't have something similar to the 2010 adaptation of the Romance of the Three Kingdom's, we certainly have the history. 

Cate Blanchett played a nice version of Marian, strong, self motivated and still womanly.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

There...was a sequel? I could have gone my entire life without knowing that.

It wasn't 100%, but the peer groupings of Breakfast Club were definitely around when I was in (public) highschool, in spades. Was never in detention tho.

Some 80's dancing was cool, but if you just went to social stuff or hung with kids at school, most of the time all you saw was that silly arm-swing motion "dancing." Like in that Terminator 1 club scene when the Terminator first finds Sara. The girl in the red skirt (and almost everyone else dancing). Sometimes when alone in a room I still do that. Habit. :disguise:

http://youtu.be/LTs8YnKfSsU?t=33s

'Come with me if you want to live.'

Such a great movie. A lot of great movies from '84-'85. Many that spawned very successful franchises. Terminator, Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters, Never Ending Story, Gremlins, Karate Kid, Romancing the Stone, Police Academy, Back to the Future, Revenge of the Nerds!     .... all from 84-85, and those are just the franchise starters.

Nerds!!

Holy (#@%! 30 years ago... time flies. And they don't make them like they used to much anymore.

I'm pretty sure there was never a sequel to The Breakfast Club.

Edited by Valsuelm

Another one I really liked, from a bit earlier, was the first 48 Hours.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

St. Elmo's Fire

yw

not a direct sequel, but a 'spiritual' one ;)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

St. Elmo's Fire

yw

not a direct sequel, but a 'spiritual' one ;)

I dunno. I've never thought of St. Elmo's Fire as a sequel. It was filmed directly after the Breakfast Club but by a completely different production crew and had a different writer. Regardless, I disagree that it's an awful movie. I enjoyed it and think it did a pretty good job conveying it's theme.

This movie probably more than any other gave us the term 'Brat Pack' too.

Every teen should watch The Breakfast Club. Or read Catcher in the Rye.

I agree about The Breakfast Club, but why Catcher in the Rye? So they go crazy and kill John Lennon?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Such a great movie. A lot of great movies from '84-'85. Many that spawned very successful franchises. Terminator, Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters, Never Ending Story, Gremlins, Karate Kid, Romancing the Stone, Police Academy, Back to the Future, Revenge of the Nerds!     .... all from 84-85, and those are just the franchise starters.

[denial]There were never any Never Ending Story sequels.[/denial]

[denial]There were never any Never Ending Story sequels.[/denial]

Yea.... I'm with you there. Same for the Secret of NIMH sequels. I probably shouldn't have listed Never Ending Story as beginning a successful franchise. Amazing movie though in it's own right.

It saddens me because it's such a great book and the first movie covers barely half of it. The second one had some elements of the second half of the book, but it completely bungled them - and the third was just completely pointless.

I didn't know there were actually sequels to Secret of NIMH but I'm going to assume they're like all sequels to Don Bluth films - awful cash grabs.

I didn't know there were actually sequels to Secret of NIMH but I'm going to assume they're like all sequels to Don Bluth films - awful cash grabs.

With the exception of Feivel Goes West.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It saddens me because it's such a great book and the first movie covers barely half of it. The second one had some elements of the second half of the book, but it completely bungled them - and the third was just completely pointless.

It was made 17 years after the original and had no input from Bluth, so...

(I remember seeing Secret of NIMH in theaters on first run...)

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man