Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

In 15 years, we'll have God's Not Dead: The Musical.

I'd much prefer Nietzsche on Ice.

That said, last three movies watched were Frozen, Brave, and The Siege (1998). Let It Go is stuck in my head... Good thing Idina Menzel has an amazing voice.

watched It's A Wonderful Life for the first time (in b&w, of course), and I was pleasantly surprised. it's so fun to watch thanks to Jimmy Stewart's presence on the screen. and the way the story unfolds is just so fascinating. it's truly a timeless movie

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

watched It's A Wonderful Life for the first time (in b&w, of course), and I was pleasantly surprised. it's so fun to watch thanks to Jimmy Stewart's presence on the screen. and the way the story unfolds is just so fascinating. it's truly a timeless movie

Have you managed to watch The Philadelphia Story yet? I persuaded a friend to sit down and watch it the other week and she was amazed.

Jimmy Stewart's drunk acting is still stand out even with Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant swanning around.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

the only other Jimmy Stewart movie I've seen is that invisible rabbit companion one, forget the name. but Philadelphia Story sounds great, I'll definitely watch it. thanks ;)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Pleasantly surprised? What horrible predisposition did you hold to be pleasantly surprised by this movie? I'm glad you got over it?

Movies from that era in general tell stories much better than movies from today do, as they're more about the characters than what we commonly find today. You usually cannot go wrong with any movie Stewart was in.

Aside from The Philadelphia Story (which is a great movie), here are some recommendations with Jimmy Stewart:

Rear Window

The Man Who Knew Too Much

Vertigo

Rope

You Can't Take it With You

And some with Cary Grant:

North By Northwest

To Catch a Thief

An Affair to Remember

Arsenic and Old Lace

His Girl Friday

Notorious

Bringing Up Baby

All of the above are good to great movies in my opinion, many of which are considered classics and highly regarded by many. At least a couple of the above would be in my all time top ten list.

:)

Edited by Valsuelm

"Movies from that era in general tell stories much better than movies from today do, as they're more about the characters than what we commonly find today."

Nah. Like any era, majority of the movies back then sucked. It's silly to name movies considered amongst the 'best ever' and try to pretend all movies were as good as it. It does a disservice to the great movies.

• Like 3

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Rear Window

Vertigo

North By Northwest

these ones I've seen. I didn't remember Jimmy Stewart in them, I thought it was all Cary Grant  :disguise:

Walsingham said:

"The Killing Room" (2009)

So that's where Timothy Hutton went. (*Google* - I haven't seen Leverage series, maybe I should someday).

... and outside of America's Got Talent, I had no idea who Nick Cannon was. He doesn't do too badly in this film, for the type of film, I mean. Not a great movie or anything but at least it tries for something a bit more interesting. Plus for some reason I like "strangers in a closed room" type horror/suspense tales so it was watchable to me.

these ones I've seen. I didn't remember Jimmy Stewart in them, I thought it was all Cary Grant  :disguise:

:lol:
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So that's where Timothy Hutton went. (*Google* - I haven't seen Leverage series, maybe I should someday).

... and outside of America's Got Talent, I had no idea who Nick Cannon was. He doesn't do too badly in this film, for the type of film, I mean. Not a great movie or anything but at least it tries for something a bit more interesting. Plus for some reason I like "strangers in a closed room" type horror/suspense tales so it was watchable to me.

You should give the Nero Wolfe Mysteries a look see if you enjoy Timothy Hutton.

I'm not a major fan or anything, I just 80's remember him from Ordinary People, Taps, Falcon and Snowman etc and then he fell off my radar. Then I occasionally see him in something obscure (to me at least) and wonder what he's been up to. I think I made myself watch The Dark Half largely because I recognized his name.

If netflix has it I'll check the Nero one out too, thanks.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Snowpiercer. Really enjoyed it. Felt it went a bit too long. Maybe cut about 15 minutes from it.

Funny, because the Weinstein Company was going to cut 25 minutes for north American release before widespread outcry made them back down.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Pleasantly surprised? What horrible predisposition did you hold to be pleasantly surprised by this movie? I'm glad you got over it?

Movies from that era in general tell stories much better than movies from today do, as they're more about the characters than what we commonly find today. You usually cannot go wrong with any movie Stewart was in.

Aside from The Philadelphia Story (which is a great movie), here are some recommendations with Jimmy Stewart:

Rear Window

Vertigo

Rope

North By Northwest

To Catch a Thief

An Affair to Remember

Arsenic and Old Lace

His Girl Friday

Notorious

Bringing Up Baby

All of the above are good to great movies in my opinion, many of which are considered classics and highly regarded by many. At least a couple of the above would be in my all time top ten list.

I'd throw CHARADE on Grant's list and ANATOMY OF A MURDER and THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE on Stewart's.

You should give the Nero Wolfe Mysteries a look see if you enjoy Timothy Hutton.

The Nero Wolfe Mysteries are great - wonderful TV series that really evokes the books. Loved the repertoire acting troup approach.

For my viewing, I watched Stephen Sommers' Odd Thomas, an adaption of the Dean Koontz story with Anton Yelchin in the title role. It was enjoyable B-movie fare (what much of Sommers' films evoke) and fairly well done (I'd complain they nerf the mystery a bit by not having a large enough cast, but still).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Rear Window

Vertigo

Rope

North By Northwest

To Catch a Thief

An Affair to Remember

Arsenic and Old Lace

His Girl Friday

Notorious

Bringing Up Baby

I'd throw CHARADE on Grant's list and ANATOMY OF A MURDER and THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE on Stewart's.

I would add Mr Blandings Builds his Dream House to Cary Grant's list.  :)

• Like 1

Snowpiercer. Really enjoyed it. Felt it went a bit too long. Maybe cut about 15 minutes from it.

Funny, because the Weinstein Company was going to cut 25 minutes for north American release before widespread outcry made them back down.

Yeah, I know. I heard about Weinstein Co wanted to cut scenes and shorten it. It just seemed overly long and would've been better if they tightened up the script to make it about 15 minutes shorter. Cut a few seconds here, 10 seconds there. Overall, they could have shortened it a little by at least 10 mins, maybe 15. And you wouldn't have noticed it imo. 25 minutes is too much and would've butchered it.

Almost Famous.

That's a really great movie, imo.

Did you spontansously start to sing along during the bus-scene? a lot of people did.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Saw Divergent.

Yet another one of those YA book trilogies with a strong female protagonist that's being turned into a set of movies. I actually quite liked this one, think it makes a lot more sense and has more coherency then the Hunger Games.

On movie related news.. Luc Besson is back with what looks like could be an entertaining one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcLERVsu1O8&

Even if it does use that annoying "humans only use 10% of their brains" crap line.

• Like 2

Yeah, but Morgan Freeman says it, so that makes it alright.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Oh the initial Hunger Games isn't too bad. I find the concept of the districts and the way everything rolls along to be a bit dodgy, but I'm fine with suspension of disbelief for what you get.  My issues are more when you go onto the next two books. Things start to just get very messy, and I found the finale pretty much a throwaway mess of character turns, dodgy reasoning, and clutch-it storytelling.

Watched Ender's Game and Pacific Rim last weekend. The former seemed the better of the two, even though it is generally lower rated. The acting in the latter just seemed a little too forced and over the top. Both are decent popcorn movies.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."