RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

Who cares about achievements, blink is one big cheat. The play should never have something like it at his disposal.

It is a pretty strong ability, especially when guards can't look up.  Heh, the last level where I decided to screw stealth and just kill everyone was funny, I think there was a pile of 14 bodies at one point, guards just ran to the corpse and looked around - drop, kill, blink back up, repeat.

They can't look up very well. They do, graphically, but that's no further than the cone of light that gets visible by certain witchcraft.

Here's how it all works:

NPCs have bolts around their heads appearing when they begin to sense your presence, and there are four levels of detection.

Level 1- One white bolt will appear on either side of the NPC – The NPC has caught a glimpse of your character or heard a non-threatening sound.

The NPC will not actively search.

The NPC will return to patrolling or idle after a few seconds without further alerts.

Level 2 - Two bolts will appear on either side of the NPC – The NPC has seen your character or heard a threatening sound.

The NPC will actively search for a several seconds and up to a minute.

The NPC will return to level 1 after a about a minute or two without further alerts.

Level 3 – Three bolts will appear on either side of the NPC, and they have not turned red. In this case, the NPC is very close to finding or being aware of your character’s presence.

The NPC will actively search, up to several minutes.

The NPC will return to level 2 after about a minute without further alerts.

Level 4 – Three bolts will appear on either side of the NPC, and they turned red - The NPC has spotted your character and is actively engaging him.

The NPC will enter into combat and actively chase / attack.

This level will count as an official sighting of your character and will count against stealth-based achievements/trophies (i.e. Ghost, Specter).

If the NPC loses sight of your character, they will search for several seconds.

The NPC will return to level 2 after a few minutes without further alerts.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Yep, I recall how the bolts work.  Actually you are right they do look up, sometimes, you think they'd notice the displacement of air when I blink too :p

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yep, I recall how the bolts work.  Actually you are right they do look up, sometimes, you think they'd notice the displacement of air when I blink too :p

That was funny, I think its fair to say the AI isn't perfect. But its not enough to detract from the overall enjoyment of the game :)

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Styx: Master of Shadows trailer:

Looks nice, but it's hard to tell how it will actually play since it's pretty much all cinematics in the trailer.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Have they said anything about the mechanics and if it's going to be like "Of Orcs and Men"?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I scoured the interwebs and found this 25 minute long off-screen gameplay with developer commentary (complete with super thick accent):

Looks pretty interesting.  One of these days, Cyanide is going to make a really great game.  Will this be it?

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

the combat system is like in Dragon Age only the time doesn't completely stop when you press Spacebar, it goes into slomo, and you can queue your next 3 actions

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

One of the chicks looks exactly like Mary from Mars War Logs.

Sexy time confirmed.  Someone get Bruce's attention.

If they were going to clone a character from Mars: War Logs, I would have rather it had been Devotion.

As an aside, I hope they get the voice over guy to do the narration for the game, because holy smokes that's a hilariously bad voice over.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Haha, I hoped something like this would happen when I saw TB's Guise of the Worlf video!

Hopefully those pieces of crap get grinded to the ground so hard someone at Google with an actual brain might rethink some of their policies.

That whole thing is just surreal.

They linked an old steam post that shows they wouldn't bother going after TB, then denied and admitted and still denied going after the video. Then posted a video of the proof that the email wasn't faked as evidence that supports them....

It's a whole lot of O.o

Now, while I'm pretty neutral on TotalBiscuit in general, I'm flabbergasted at the mere notion that he or his PR guy would risk fabricating an email, so it's hard for me to not think his side is probably not in the wrong (bizarre activity of the developers aside)

• Like 1

One of the chicks looks exactly like Mary from Mars War Logs.

Sexy time confirmed.  Someone get Bruce's attention.

If they were going to clone a character from Mars: War Logs, I would have rather it had been Devotion.

As an aside, I hope they get the voice over guy to do the narration for the game, because holy smokes that's a hilariously bad voice over.

That does look good and it appears to tick many of the boxes that define a good RPG

But that narrator did sound terrible  :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Eschalon: Book 3 came out on Valentine's day. I had almost forgotten about it.

For anyone who likes story-driven, old-school, turn-based RPG's, this is a no-brainer. To anyone else, I would still recommend these games. They are FUN.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Game of Thrones arrpeegee was great.

That's the one game of theirs I haven't played yet.  Is the combat system like Of Orcs and Men?

We are stil talking about Cyanide games here, right?

Then you are also missing Aarklash: Legacy and Impire I think :)

Unless you are talking about Spider studios.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I was just coming here to mention that Banished will be available very soon. I remember seeing a developer vid. for it many months ago. 1.5 more days to be able to get it. And I don't have to Steam-purchase it if I don't want! And no awkward combat-mode tacked on, either. That's a nice review vid, haven't seen that one, thanks.

Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck ... altho, at least it'll only be about $20. :)

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Game of Thrones arrpeegee was great.

That's the one game of theirs I haven't played yet.  Is the combat system like Of Orcs and Men?

We are stil talking about Cyanide games here, right?

Then you are also missing Aarklash: Legacy and Impire I think :)

Unless you are talking about Spider studios.

You're right, I haven't played that game either.  I forgot all about it.  :blush:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Impire has terrible writing. The writer thinks he is funny and witty but isn't. The squad management is interesting, but the dungeon building is a let-down (LadyCrimson, do not buy this game, you'd be disappointed). I had fun enough with the game, trying out all the different units etc, but the campaign is  not interesting enough to play it to the end, and the dungeon building is too underwhelming to spend much time in skirmish mode.

Aarklash: Legacy is very typical Cyanide: trying to do a lot of interesting things, always constrained by size, money, whatever. Disappointing for some who were looking for a RPG with loads of stats and classes and character creation, fun for people who want to run around with a small 4-man party and try not to die.

And then there are the older games like Loki, Cyanide's diablo-clone, that again tried to do interesting things but somehow never managed to reach the popularity of games like Sacred, Torchlight etc.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).