Obsidian's (rumoured) next kickstarter, what would you want to see?

Arcoss

Next KS  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Original or licensed property?

• Original IP
    • Licensed IP
    • I don't mind either way
  2. 2. Which Combat system would you prefer?

• Real time with pause
    • Turn based
    • I don't mind either way
  3. 3. Which setting would you most like to see

You and me both. Off the top of my head:

DXHR: The tutorial gave me vertigo, 14 minutes in. Never played again.

I know it's not your point, but I have to call this one out. It's an incredible game by a new team: if you can bring yourself to do it, give it another shot. I've played it through more times than any other game of the past ~5 years.

And now, before someone posts a "thread direction" picture... 20s Cthulhu game in, say, San Francisco? Yes please?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I know it's not your point, but I have to call this one out. It's an incredible game by a new team: if you can bring yourself to do it, give it another shot. I've played it through more times than any other game of the past ~5 years.

I wish I could, it was you guys excitement that got me to preorder it, but I literally dry-heaved 15 minutes into the game from the first person perspective. A 3/4 scroll back like in FONV or Skyrim works for me but I just cant handle the first person perspective. ;(

I wish I could, it was you guys excitement that got me to preorder it, but I literally dry-heaved 15 minutes into the game from the first person perspective. A 3/4 scroll back like in FONV or Skyrim works for me but I just cant handle the first person perspective. ;(

Well, after the first 10 minutes or so, the perspective changes to third person (except in dialogues).

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Well, after the first 10 minutes or so, the perspective changes to third person (except in dialogues).

Whaaaa?

DXHR is third person only when in cover and in most dialogues. Or not in third person during dialogue per se, out from eye perspective anyway.

Edited by Slinky

It's difficult to take the thread vote seriously since it didn't include Fantasy or Horror as options. I suspect that Fantasy would blow Sci-Fi out of the water as a preference. Not that I'm against Sci-Fi...

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

DX:HR is definitely a FPS.  

After the tutorial it does slow down quite a bit though.  It's basically a shooter for the first 30 minutes, and then you can play anyway you want after.  I have trouble with the fast paced FPS games as well, but DX:HR never bothered me.

• Like 1

Nothing.  I gave 250 smakeroos for PI. Why the **** would I donate to Obsidian again until they deliver on their first KS? L0L Unless it literally a sequel to a favorite series of mine or has dwarves then nadda.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I burned out on DXHR after the slog that was the back to back missions in Tai Yong then Picus. The supposed Montreal quest hub really needed to be a thing, perhaps Singapore too if I had gotten that far. Given that there's both DLC and a Director's Cut of the game, it's disappointing they didn't use the opportunity to add those hubs. It does reflect my preferred style of game though, which is to say, this post isn't totally off topic: screw the extended stealthy-shooty bits, I just want to wander around the city talking to people and doing smaller things.

Dishonored was a bit of a weird one for me, tackled five (I think) missions so far, with months of not playing in between. The only time I played missions back to back were the Overseer followed up by the Golden Cat sequences. And I liked those missions because of the common areas between them which gave a good sense of the world - and again had some non-shooty-stealthy bits. But then the bridge mission I found to be an awful, linear slog. Then the Boyle mission, which really should have been right up my alley, turned out to be pretty ordinary as well. (What's the point of trying to put together clues when one person you can walk right up to at the start will tell you straight up what the answer is?)

FONV I've finished. Finished once. I've probably killed Benny about a dozen times, but then lose interest in that particular save and abandon.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

It's difficult to take the thread vote seriously since it didn't include Fantasy or Horror as options. I suspect that Fantasy would blow Sci-Fi out of the water as a preference. Not that I'm against Sci-Fi...

I presume Fantasy isn't there because P(o)E is itself fantasy and it would be a bit odd to kickstart another fantasy game given that, unless it were a sequel- and that was ruled out as a KS, iirc.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-17-what-will-obsidians-second-kickstarter-project-be

Not too crazy about episodic content, tbh, but I can see the advantages (like getting paid at regular milestones). Would depend on the content.

I have to say, the idea of a Cthulhu type isometric rpg really tickled me, really good idea. Apart from the whole copyright mess thing, which might be a turn off.

GREAT. -_-'

Two things.

1) They started APOLOGIZING before even saying what the IP was. Clearly it's an IP unfit for RPG. And they're already trying to say "no no no, it's ok, it'll be just fine". Clearly it won't.

2) They're going to make a stupid Titan Quest-like grinder with their engine, make it "pseudo-openworld", for NO REASON other than that openworld is supposedly trendy right now. Yeah, that's some proper motivation.

To say I'm disappointed would be nothing. I'm searching for an example of how stupid it is, but you need to be a ****ing master of the universe to find a metaphor of comparable power. Aw for ****'s sake...!........... This is ridiculous....... No, THIS I won't back, thank you very much.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Two things.

1) They started APOLOGIZING before even saying what the IP was. Clearly it's an IP unfit for RPG. And they're already trying to say "no no no, it's ok, it'll be just fine". Clearly it won't.

2) They're going to make a stupid Titan Quest-like grinder with their engine, make it "pseudo-openworld", for NO REASON other than that openworld is supposedly trendy right now. Yeah, that's some proper motivation.

To say I'm disappointed would be nothing. I'm searching for an example of how stupid it is, but you need to be a ****ing master of the universe to find a metaphor of comparable power. Aw for ****'s sake...!........... This is ridiculous....... No, THIS I won't back, thank you very much.

Aww, isn't the wildly screaming little bundle of negativity just adorable? Yes, yes he is!

DXHR is third person only when in cover and in most dialogues. 

Well, you do spend about a half of the game crouching/hiding behind some kind of cover, so...

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 5

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I thought DXHR sucked. The storyline was such a betrayal of everything DX stood for. The only sympathetic NPC was the capitalist, you were a good little toady all the way up to the final ending, which let you choose between continuing to be a good little toady, siding with a lunatic mass murderer, or committing murder-suicide on an industrial scale. The gameplay was kind of OK, but the people who wrote it have no clue what DX was all about. Even DX:IW did that better.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I thought DX:HR was good except for two things: the (existence of) bosses, and the "choice" at the end.

All in all, it was an awesomecool game, if you could stomach the mind-bogglingly primitive plot (hero searching for his lost love, seriously?).

Agreed.  The story left a lot to be desired and the boss fights were an abomination (thankfully they were few and rather far between).  My other complaint is that the way the game was structured, it encouraged redundancy to maximize exp gain.  For example, sneaking into a place through a vent, then going back and hacking a computer to "gain entrance" to the same place which you've already entered, then going back and beating up the guards to the same place. Still, that can be easily enough avoided by simply choosing not to exploit the system. 

Outside of those gripes, I found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable game.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I voted for "original IP" and "don't care which combat system" as well as Space Opera, Science Fiction, Steampunk, Other.

We haven't had a good Space Opera or Science Fiction game in a long time, and I think Obsidian would be the perfect developer for it. No cyberpunk and no "all is lost" setting please, though.

Steampunk... I'd just like ONE really good steampunk game. A game that takes everything good about Arcanum and leaves all the bad stuff out and doesn't go overboard with the technology and gadgets. (Steampunk is actually a bad label for what I want; I want a slightly science-fictional 19th century setting with magic and monsters.)

Other... I don't know, I'm thinking of a pirate RPG. Or rather, an RPG set in a slightly fantastical version of the Caribbean with more islands and voodoo. (I'd love a game that took the basic premise of Risen 2, improved it and put it in a PoE type of game.)

By the way. Has the label "Eternity Engine games" been coined yet? If not, then I'd like to propose it for this new line of RPGs that are based on one engine yet are different from one another. :)

• Like 1

Steampunk... I'd just like ONE really good steampunk game. A game that takes everything good about Arcanum 

The setting, dialogue, and orcs and ogres with beefy sideburns wearing stylish as **** suits?

and leaves all the bad stuff out

The godawful combat, (lack of) balance, and insane difficulty spikes?

Works for me.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I presume Fantasy isn't there because P(o)E is itself fantasy and it would be a bit odd to kickstart another fantasy game given that, unless it were a sequel- and that was ruled out as a KS, iirc.

It's... a bit odd? No, they would just need to choose something a little different that would inspire donations. Fantasy would work perfectly fine for that. It's the broadest of all genres.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It's... a bit odd? No, they would just need to choose something a little different that would inspire donations. Fantasy would work perfectly fine for that. It's the broadest of all genres.

If they did then the question would be "why didn't you kickstart this instead of PoE?" and "won't this take focus away from/ be too similar to PoE?" from a lot of people. They'd already get some people who will not back again due to not having a completed product from the first ks, and they already have the most popular fantasy subset covered. If they were to do a Skyrim type open world thingy in fantasy chances are it would be set in the PoE world anyway.

Edited by Zoraptor