Obsidian's (rumoured) next kickstarter, what would you want to see?

Arcoss

Next KS  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Original or licensed property?

• Original IP
    • Licensed IP
    • I don't mind either way
  2. 2. Which Combat system would you prefer?

• Real time with pause
    • Turn based
    • I don't mind either way
  3. 3. Which setting would you most like to see

Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG Wuxia RPG

I'd also be interested in a Wuxia RPG.  ;)

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Original IP

Real time with Pause (not that I mind turn based either)

Genre? I don't know. I don't mind bullets and laser guns instead of magic and arrows but I'm not too into what I think would be called cyber or steam punk. If it has a touch of that that's cool but not into that as a serious setting, if you know what I mean.

I tend to like dark and moody, alternate realities/timelines (from our "real world") but not actually super depressing. Not that into "horror" but I do enjoy some creepy dungeons etc. So ... uh ... yeah, no clue. This is why I'm not a game designer.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The problem I have with cities in most games is when I can't go into every building. Why is there a door there if I can't go in it, darnit? ;)

...I like a mix tho. Some hustling cities and some more open or isolated areas. But they don't have to be "wilderness" areas per se (with grass, lions, tigers and bears oh my). A run down abandoned city area or giant junkyard works just as well. Mostly, I don't want to feel like there's no escape at all from the main noisy cities.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, it gets harder the more contemporary the setting to get that level of detail. But I feel something like a more open version of Dishonored's Dunwall would be just fine in terms of supporting a fully-fledged RPG without needing to resort to external areas. Scale it up to the level of those GTA-type games and it'd probably lose too much detail (though I'd love to have Sleeping Dogs version of Hong Kong as a setting, maybe halve the scale).

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'd love a Science Fiction setting that's not a space opera or cyberpunk. But the chances of seeing that are slim.

Heck, I'd be happy just for Space Opera without any magic. Alas.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Beta Protocol in PE's engine. or Aliens RPG, in the same engine.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

A VtM-game, in the vein of Bloodlines.

• Like 3

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Original low scifi or cyberpunk esque adventure RPG; that is heavy on storytelling, c&c and reactivity/interactivity, and low on combat (which could well be a little visually beefed up Wasteland, for all I care) - that plays, in all the essential ways, like this game -- beefed up in every way of course. 

A noir style player driven storyline, a large city to explore, interactivity and c&c up the wazoo, awesome 2D art for the scenes and characters, strong ruleset focusing more on social and utility activities than combat... the whole nine yards. I'd be all over that kind of game.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Considering that Obsidian are ready to work even for dirty commies with their cheap ridiculous mmos that look like browser games to make money, I think it stands to reason that they're indeed very greedy and have no moral principles. Now this means that this poll might actually be their way to probe which setting would draw MORE MONEY if they kickstarted it.

Who is this Arcoss with 18 posts? Obviously a fake.

That's fine with me, though. Looks like it's gonna be a sci-fi original IP with RTwP. I'm ready to back.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Any of the above really.  I mentioned in another thread, I'd like to see cyberpunk or steampunk, possibly the only continuing IP I can think of would be Arcanum if they somehow wrestled the license away from whomever has it.

In all reality, I think they should have Tim Cain write different genres on a dart board and then throw darts.

Considering that Obsidian are ready to work even for dirty commies with their cheap ridiculous mmos that look like browser games to make money, I think it stands to reason that they're indeed very greedy and have no moral principles. Now this means that this poll might actually be their way to probe which setting would draw MORE MONEY if they kickstarted it.

Who is this Arcoss with 18 posts? Obviously a fake.

That's fine with me, though. Looks like it's gonna be a sci-fi original IP with RTwP. I'm ready to back.

You're reading way to much into this, and the guy is a kickstarter supporter. Obsidian will talk to us if they want to know from anyone what they should try next, but first they have to make P:E a success.

Any of the above really.  I mentioned in another thread, I'd like to see cyberpunk or steampunk, possibly the only continuing IP I can think of would be Arcanum if they somehow wrestled the license away from whomever has it.

In all reality, I think they should have Tim Cain write different genres on a dart board and then throw darts.

For a moment I thought you'd written Tim Schaffer, who I was all ready to lambast for his performance with Jack Black in that one game who's name escapes me right now (which was basically Tenacious D, minus the bald one, the game).

That said, I think with Chris Avallone writing they could put together almost any game and have the entire thing be a giant deconstruction of whatever genre they're romping around in. I mean, he'd give us a game like bioshock infinite, but have the entire thing take everything about the city and just yank it apart. Or if he did a Zombie Apocolypse, he'd tear apart so many games where all you need is a shotgun and a chainsaw to survive.

It would be fun to see somebody try to tear down Song of Ice and Fire, but I doubt anyone will give it a go given that the book series is basically a giant deconstruction of fantasy tropes in general. I do think that Obs would do well in a Low Fantasy setting where magic is this mystical unknown quantity and most conflicts are handled with steel (Like Black Company, or Song of Ice and Fire before it went bonkers).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Original IP(They are creative enough to create their own setting)

Cyberpunk/Alternate Timeline(Something in the veins of Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Blade Runner...)

Turn Based(Personal preference)

Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

You're reading way to much into this, and the guy is a kickstarter supporter. Obsidian will talk to us if they want to know from anyone what they should try next, but first they have to make P:E a success.

If you're saying that I'm paranoid, then know this - I'M NOT.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

A Superhero RPG, preferably in an original setting, don't care whether TB or RTwP.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Here's what I said in the Rock Paper Shotgun interview thread:

My ideal idea of a second Obsidian Kickstarter project would be a phase-based isometric scifi game, with party-based fighting as well as FTL-like ship combat. Picture FTL meets Frozen Synapse meets Mass Effect.

I actually don't care too much about the specifics of the setting, and whether it would be space opera or more of a hard sci-fi. I trust Obsidian's storytelling abilities either way.

Phase-based wasn't an option in the poll, but I think it would be ideal for a game that focused more on guns and cover than close combat and magic. Frozen Synapse shows that you can do some really interesting, intense stuff with such a setup without it just devolving into a bunch of rooms with chest-high crates and walls scattered throughout. Plus, based on the arguments that both sides made in the Torment: Tides of Numenera combat poll, it seems like phase-based would satisfy many of the concerns that were brought up.

A Superhero RPG, preferably in an original setting, don't care whether TB or RTwP.

A WildCards RPG would be boss.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg