The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Rosbjerg

Now, it is imo a bit iffy that 3 months before game release they're revealing character models that they apparently can't get ready and on disc on time, but the message stays the same that these little bits of DLC absolutely would have been monetized whether as some store specific content, pre-order stuff or in one of 15 different ***soft open-world game collector's editions.

I enjoy CDProjekt's constant jabs at other developers. Brightens my day, people say "oh it's just simple PR spin" but it begs the question why this seemingly simple promotion is so GODDANG HARD for any other publisher/developer

Edited by Nordicus

Pretty sure it's ...

a) So they can post news about Witcher 3 every week for 8 weeks (2 DLCs per week) and

b) So people will buy the game instead of just downing it. If you want all the "DLCs", you've got to download some pirated stuff / patch every week, and people might get so annoyed by this that they buy the game instead.

Also it appears to be rather cheap stuff, like Oblivion horse armor level. So don't confuse this with e.g. Fallout New Vegas DLCs.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Pretty sure it's ...

a) So they can post news about Witcher 3 every week for 8 weeks (2 DLCs per week) and

b) So people will buy the game instead of just downing it. If you want all the "DLCs", you've got to download some pirated stuff / patch every week, and people might get so annoyed by this that they buy the game instead.

Yup, and 8 weeks is roughly the time when most of the sales are made. Granted, CDProjekt haven't exactly been secretive about how many Witcher-games they've sold in long term

Also it appears to be rather cheap stuff, like Oblivion horse armor level. So don't confuse this with e.g. Fallout New Vegas DLCs.

Oh you mean like Courier's Stash? :p

With 8 extra weeks a design team might get something extra done

Edited by Nordicus

Why don't they just include them in the base game? Why are they chopping bits out to then just give them away? Typical CDPR. At least when other companies do it has the purpose of making money, CDPR cuts bit out just to get good PR. And their continuous patching and support, horrendous, all just so they can sell the enhanced edition, super enhanced edition, ultimate edition and really ultimate edition later, and it shows they didn't test thr original game properly as well yet people lap it up. Why do people fall for their nonsense?

Rather surprised I've not seen one of those already.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They actually tried to take alleged pirates to court but it failed.

I wouldn't be surprised if they'll send out hitmen next.

They're Poles not Russians, man.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Pretty sure it's ...

This is the Witcherverse, so instead of Horse Armour they'll have Whore Armour. :D

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

• 4 weeks later...

Trailer hype intensifies. Actually looks like the graphics have been downgraded. They're probably just showing the console game so they don't get in trouble for misinformation like Watch_dogs did. I'm confident that the PC version will look beautiful.

Hopefully they explain that

If the game is open world and much larger than Witcher 2 I wouldn't be surprised that it ends up looking more or less the same as W2. W2 is still the best looking RPG of this generation.

That said, the way this franchised turned from an underdog success, with a pleasant, almost depressive eastern european atmosphere and decent humor to bombastic high fantasy full of itself killed all my excitement for it.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

So I've heard that you won't be playing as Geralt all of the time. My guess is that Ciri will be playable too.

Kinda sux, as I only want to play as Geralt. Guess they need to create a bridge for future Witcher games.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'd very much be pro-playable Ciri.  Of course, no confirmation yet on which will be the second playable character.  Vesemir (or another witcher) would likely be the easiest to implement, since he wouldn't play all that differently than Geralt.  Playable Ciri would be pretty sweet.  A playable sorceress would be pretty great (presumably Triss or Yennefer).  Playable Zoltan would be cool.  My ultimate dream, though, would be playable Dandelion.  Dandelion isn't a warrior or spellcaster, so you'd have to talk/charm/scam your way through situations.  That would be awesome.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm a bit torn on the merits of it. It's great to have another character with a different playstyle to use so I like it in that regard. In a narrative sense though, I dislike the concept of jumping between characters (specifically jumping between them on a linear timescale) because it undermines player agency somewhat when you drop control of a character and they become writer-controlled NPCs for whatever length of time. Y'know, the feeling of after having played Geralt for a while, then switching to Ciri or whoever, talking to Geralt from that alternate perspective and having him respond like an NPC, overall I think there's no non-awkward way of framing such a thing. However if the sequences were done in parallel time, I think they could get away with it - i.e. you play out a gameplay sequence with Geralt then wind back time a little and have a "meanwhile..." segment.

For what it's worth it's the same reason I don't support the 'compromise' decision in Kingdom Come where you get to temporarily play a female side-character who interacts with the 'main' player character. Not because it's necessarily a token gesture as such, but because it undermines playing the main character quite a bit when you know who the other character is inside-out when interacting with them. You'd know much of their goals, their history, their personality already, instead of having to discover them through interaction.

Ideally there'd be two full-blown, full-time player characters, and you'd have the ability to play the game from beginning to end with each one, completely independent of the other. If they managed to write two entirely different Chapter Twos in the previous game, why not go the whole hog and have two completely separate streams? :D

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

However if the sequences were done in parallel time, I think they could get away with it - i.e. you play out a gameplay sequence with Geralt then wind back time a little and have a "meanwhile..." segment.

That's kind of how I imagine this will happen.  For example, when you finally find Ciri as Geralt they will have a conversation and Ciri will recount her tale of what she went through the past few days  and you'll essentially get to play that retelling.  I guess we'll find out in February.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Playable Odrin?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Ciri seems to make the most sense as the second playable character.  CDPR have repeatedly stated that Geralt's story would be over after this game, but they never stated that they would cease making games set in the Witcher universe, and, quite frankly, they'd be fools to abandon what is now an established and profitable franchise.  So, assuming they make a 4th Witcher game, Ciri would make the most sense as the protagonist.  She's partially trained as a witcher, partially trained as a sorceress, and 100% badass.  Letting you play as Ciri in this game would, as Lexx hinted, familiarize players with the idea of her being a protagonist, for future games.

I still wish it was Dandelion as the other playable character, but he's not in that trailer, so that's out.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I can't remember Dandelion being a playable character in TW2.

But we did jump into the roles of some other minor characters every once in a while- and it felt super annoying, imo. I didn't liked these parts at all. I was like "damn, can I get back to the real game now?"

The Witcher 3 thing sounded as if the other character will be playable for longer... Though, of course, chances are ok-ish that it will be the same as in TW2.