What are you playing now?

Gorth

That totally misses the problem many non-subers have with subs though. If I will not pay a sub because I am not certain I will be logging in more than a few times a month, telling me that I can buy a sub equivalent for ingame currency by logging in even more is not going to get me to play.

I hate to say it, but a F2P model with some kind of item shop etc has become far more appealing to me.

I'd really just prefer subs to be a bit cheaper, maybe something in the $5-10 range.

Wildstar looks fun and I like the idea of paths, but I am not up for paying a sub.

this. subs are for kids who play all day every day and pay with their moms' credit cards.

one time purchase would be best, of course

Or people with jobs that play the game enough to justify $15 a month :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So if you play as Catholic now in CK2

You'll more than likely get your own Joan of Arc, but with a different name culture wise. She has a high martial stat, and even though she's a woman she can be your marshall.

This will piss off the clergy and nobles, but you can decide her fate.  

Edited by NKKKK

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Inspired by Giant Bomb's Vinny Caravella's attempt to finally beat Dark Souls, I have decided to soldier on with that game as well with the aide of my friend, DSCfix, and a Black Knight Halberd which is allows me to hit like a truck. I last left off just having just gotten to Anor Londo. We've made a lot of progress since then, having gotten the Lordvessel and defeated Seath the Scaleless, in the process getting the Moonlight Greatsword, and of course, me being a big From fan, I couldn't *not* use a sword called "Moonlight."

10970837945_eac6b7b8a3_o.jpg

10971015104_de4e9797c9_o.jpg

My pyromancer/sorceress character, Laure de Marais. However with only 16 vitality at level 85, I can't take nearly as much as I can give.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Alternating between Civ5:BTS and Arkham City. 

AC has gotten better since I progressed enough to unlock all the Riddles.  Although I still find myself bothered by how on-rails the plot is.  I'm still fairly early, though (my save says I'm 21% complete), and I'm mostly having fun.  The next time I successfully counter a knife attack, however, will be the first.  I have no idea how the player is supposed to figure that timing out. 

Edited by Enoch

AC has gotten better since I progressed enough to unlock all the Riddles.  Although I still find myself bothered by how on-rails the plot is.  I'm still fairly early, though (my save says I'm 21% complete), and I'm mostly having fun.  The next time I successfully counter a knife attack, however, will be the first.  I have no idea how the player is supposed to figure that timing out. 

What system are you playing on?  What difficulty setting?

On the easier difficulty settings, you can tell when the knife attack is coming by the big yellow lines above the attacker's head.  Even on tougher difficulties, if you can avoid the first one, you can time the next two.  Usually that's what he'll attack with, three swipes.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm playing Walking Dead and its good fun, I have just finished Season 2. I am enjoying getting to know the personalities of the various characters. Telltale has done an excellent job in endearing you to certain people, like Clementine. But I am already dreading the ending as I know something sad is going to happen and I can only guess what :ermm:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Inspired by Giant Bomb's Vinny Caravella's attempt to finally beat Dark Souls, I have decided to soldier on with that game as well with the aide of my friend, DSCfix, and a Black Knight Halberd which is allows me to hit like a truck. I last left off just having just gotten to Anor Londo. We've made a lot of progress since then, having gotten the Lordvessel and defeated Seath the Scaleless, in the process getting the Moonlight Greatsword, and of course, me being a big From fan, I couldn't *not* use a sword called "Moonlight."

*PICTURES*

My pyromancer/sorceress character, Laure de Marais. However with only 16 vitality at level 85, I can't take nearly as much as I can give.

Nice! I'm still working on my own play through. I've been pacing myself at one lord soul per day and just picked up the last one from the Bed of Chaos today. Next on my list of activities is to go through the DLC and beat up Artorias, Manus and Kalameet. The stone guardians in the Royal Wood are actually pretty tough. My +15 Claymore only does about 150 damage with a two handed R1 and I can't stagger them so I can only get in one hit before I have to back off. I fell down a slightly hidden hole on the edge of a cliff earlier while trying to pick up some loot before I called it for the day.

My build has been pretty basic melee combat dude. 20 Vit/40 End/38 Str/22 Dex and nothing else of note. I have just enough faith to cast heal and just enough attunement to grab a second spell slot. Sitting at SL83 right now. I still haven't really figured out a preferred armour set. Right now I'm running with a combination of paladin, black iron and gold hemmed black. It's not the best for defences, but I like the look. I keep Havel's set on me for the occasional fight where I just need the ability to whack away at something without being staggered. Fully upgraded Black Iron is currently my best overall defensive set.

Also! I killed my first player black phantom today! Probably 90% of my time has been spent undead so I haven't had to fight any invaders, but I've been walking around alive more often lately. Got invaded just before the Demon Firesage by someone in full Havel with a greatsword of some kind. It was thicker than standard, but not as big as your Moonlight Greatsword. We traded a few blows while trying to circle each other before I gave up on that plan and just tanked his hits and nailed him with a couple two handed R1 strikes to take him down.

LRW8M33l.jpg

Edited by Deraldin
  • Like 1

10970837945_eac6b7b8a3_o.jpg

10971015104_de4e9797c9_o.jpg

supersword.gif

Is that cloud's sword (cleaver, lol?) from FFVII?

I wonder if they really expected it to cut anything (except maybe, the handler's carotid when he gets tired of

holding it).

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

It's hollow, right?

In game? No. :p

Some of the weapons in Dark Souls...I don't think I could make myself go through the game looking as you would with some of them. Used a relatively normal sized blade, (Balder Side Sword), on my playthrough.   :)

balder-side-sword-onhand.jpg

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

What is this? The screenshot thread?

Especially the checkpoint save system can be extraordinarily annoying especially when Thorton splurts out something... less expected.

"I'm looking for a man. But not in that way"

The the dialog keyword was "Grigori?". Forgot completely it was on the left side of the dialog wheel where all the "I want to be a dragon" stuff are. Well, at least the heart of the game is golden.

The Mass Effect wheel... making what your character is going to say a complete surprise since [year Mass Effect was delivered in]. Oddly enough, ME reviews only mentioned this thing as a pro, but who-behold if other games use it the exact same way or something.

Reviews :/

Finally gotten around to playing Arkham Asylum.  I might be in the minority, but I actually prefer the two newer titles.  The more openness of Arkham City and Arkham Origins, IMO, fits better with the Batman character.  Gliding through the city, facing multiple bad guys along the way, etc.

Also, I'm finding the combat less smooth.  I try to pull off those combos when I'm fighting multiple enemies, but the directional aiming is so finicky.  In the newer games, you just point in the direction of the next guy you want to attack and press the attack button.  Here, I'm finding a lot of my strings of combos broken by a touchy combat system.

Well, I definitely disagreed (AA to AC here, haven't played AO yet). The way the story got cut up for openworld, the infinitely respawning enemies IN THE EXACT SAME CONFIGURATION EVERYTIME (lazy much?). No, I definitely would not say AC improved on AA.

Also (playing on PC) I can't say combat worked any different with AC than AA. Maybe on the consoles it got smoothened out though, I wouldn't know. Actually liked combat more in AA, probably though since I wasn't fighting the same group 12+ time in a single game over and over...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

"with jobs" and "play the game enough" kinda contradict each other, no?  :rolleyes: at least, for me to justify tossing $15 out the window every month I have to play the game at least 20 hours a week. and even now, while I'm a student, I can't dedicate more than 4-5 hours a week to games, let alone one game.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

What system are you playing on?  What difficulty setting?

On the easier difficulty settings, you can tell when the knife attack is coming by the big yellow lines above the attacker's head.  Even on tougher difficulties, if you can avoid the first one, you can time the next two.  Usually that's what he'll attack with, three swipes.

PC, default difficulty, KB/M controls.  (I mixed the mouse-button settings up a bit to move the "click middle button" functionality to one of my mouse's thumb buttons, but otherwise I'm using the default layout.)

Yes, I see the little lightning-mark warnings.  But it seems to require greater precision than a standard melee counter (based both on the description in the 'combat abilities' screen and on actually trying to do it), and I have yet to get it right.  I guess I could try to practice by winnowing a brawl down to just one knife-dude and me, but my standard instinct is to take out the more dangerous mooks first.  And the game affords me sufficient other means to deal with knifers (mostly, jumping over them and punch them in the back, but also cape-stuns, gadget attacks, etc.), so I manage okay without countering. 

"with jobs" and "play the game enough" kinda contradict each other, no?  :rolleyes: at least, for me to justify tossing $15 out the window every month I have to play the game at least 20 hours a week. and even now, while I'm a student, I can't dedicate more than 4-5 hours a week to games, let alone one game.

Most of the people I play MMO's with have full on careers.  The key is that all they really do is work and play the game, and they play that one game exclusively.  When you work and 8-10 hour day, you still have time to come home and play for 4-5 hours.  Cut back on the sleep a bit and you can get even more.  I did join a guild once where it seemed like quite a few of the people were on disability, that scared me off pretty fast.    

I go through spurts like that, maybe a week or two where I'm really enjoying the game and putting in a lot of hours.  But I get burnt out quick, and I like to play a variety of games. 

I've honestly encountered very few teenagers in MMO's.  I'm sure they are out there, but I avoid the general chats and most of the guilds I've been in have been pretty mature.

• Like 1

When you work and 8-10 hour day, you still have time to come home and play for 4-5 hours.

in my early 20s I used to dedicate at least 5 hours a day to games, that's true. but only because I had a weird work schedule and worked night shifts pretty often, which excluded me from any kind of socializing.

if I do end up working a normal 9-to-5 job now, there will hardly be room for games on weekdays for me. maybe in 10 years when I'm 40, with everyone hating my guts, online gaming will become my only way of meeting new people  :grin: then and only then will I subscribe to a game

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Eh ?  Not at all. $15 a month isn't that much in terms of entertainment, ideally look at $1/hr as the target - and that's easily achievable.  I work 10 hrs a day and finding time to spend in WoW isn't that hard, even if it's just an hour a night.    But again, this depends on the person.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

PC, default difficulty, KB/M controls.  (I mixed the mouse-button settings up a bit to move the "click middle button" functionality to one of my mouse's thumb buttons, but otherwise I'm using the default layout.)

Yes, I see the little lightning-mark warnings.  But it seems to require greater precision than a standard melee counter (based both on the description in the 'combat abilities' screen and on actually trying to do it), and I have yet to get it right.  I guess I could try to practice by winnowing a brawl down to just one knife-dude and me, but my standard instinct is to take out the more dangerous mooks first.  And the game affords me sufficient other means to deal with knifers (mostly, jumping over them and punch them in the back, but also cape-stuns, gadget attacks, etc.), so I manage okay without countering. 

I actually tend to do the opposite.  I'll take care of the easy grunts first, then deal with the guys who need extra buttons/keys mashed in order to combat them.  Especially the armored guys, who cause you to do the whole "cape stun/multiple punches" to knock them out, I'll get rid of the grunts first so I don't have to worry about one of them attacking me while I'm beating away on the armored guy.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Starting up a new game of Dead Man's Switch in Shadowrun Returns on hard difficulty.  I'm playing a female Ork Adept named Delilah Black Lotus.  Basically, I'm playing a near future Wuxia mystical warrior, because, why wouldn't I?

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Dark Souls

Warped out of Oolacile and dropped off the four lord souls with the lordvessel. Spent 30 minutes or so farming the black knights in the kiln to complete my collection of black knight weapons. Out of the 4 weapons I think I like the axe best. The sword is like a stronger version of my claymore, but with less useful R2 attacks because of the wind up time and the flourish after the strikes. The greatsword is too slow for my taste though I imagine it hits like a brick if I bother to upgrade it.

Took down Artorias on my second try. My first try ended in failure when I overextended myself in a combo and used up too much stamina to block the combo Artorias sent at me in retaliation. He busted through my guard. When I got up I dodge to his right instead of his left and he got me with his follow up attack. Second time through went much smoother. He's got some fun attack patterns. I might stick around and see if I can't get someone to summon me for his fight again.

Beyond that I worked my way down into the Chasm of the Abyss. I think I may have to "borrow" my brother's computer for this section of the game. Something in this area is making the game slow to a crawl. I still have to experiment a bit, but my research suggests it might be the humanity spirits that are causing it.

Also, I really like the look of the Stone Guardian armour. Rocking the full set right now. I think I might stick with this one.

Edited by Deraldin

When you work and 8-10 hour day, you still have time to come home and play for 4-5 hours.

in my early 20s I used to dedicate at least 5 hours a day to games, that's true. but only because I had a weird work schedule and worked night shifts pretty often, which excluded me from any kind of socializing.

if I do end up working a normal 9-to-5 job now, there will hardly be room for games on weekdays for me. maybe in 10 years when I'm 40, with everyone hating my guts, online gaming will become my only way of meeting new people  :grin: then and only then will I subscribe to a game

:lol: funny

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dark Souls

Warped out of Oolacile and dropped off the four lord souls with the lordvessel. Spent 30 minutes or so farming the black knights in the kiln to complete my collection of black knight weapons. Out of the 4 weapons I think I like the axe best. The sword is like a stronger version of my claymore, but with less useful R2 attacks because of the wind up time and the flourish after the strikes. The greatsword is too slow for my taste though I imagine it hits like a brick if I bother to upgrade it.

Took down Artorias on my second try. My first try ended in failure when I overextended myself in a combo and used up too much stamina to block the combo Artorias sent at me in retaliation. He busted through my guard. When I got up I dodge to his right instead of his left and he got me with his follow up attack. Second time through went much smoother. He's got some fun attack patterns. I might stick around and see if I can't get someone to summon me for his fight again.

Beyond that I worked my way down into the Chasm of the Abyss. I think I may have to "borrow" my brother's computer for this section of the game. Something in this area is making the game slow to a crawl. I still have to experiment a bit, but my research suggests it might be the humanity spirits that are causing it.

Also, I really like the look of the Stone Guardian armour. Rocking the full set right now. I think I might stick with this one.

I liked the Black Knight Halberd/Naginata best. Before finally plunging into Dark Souls I scanned the wiki (yeah, maybe I am ruining the game for myself, but I'm having the most fun I've had in a while despite this) and took one look at that thing and said to myself: "Yeah, that's for me."

Even though I made a primarily Int and Dex specced character, I put just enough Str into my char so that she could two-hand it (22). Even with the bare minimum strength, she dispatches just about all human-sized foes in a single R1 attack. It also doesn't hurt that the animations are cool as hell; I feel like my character is a Howling Banshee Exarch with an Executioner. I love it so much that I rotate between that and the Moonlight Greatsword and Lifehunt Scythe (complete with Black-Hemmed Set) which are more appropriate for my build.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling