What are you playing now?

Gorth

Trying to play NWN2 but I am hating the combat.

Why?

It is being very uncooperative. If I don't turn the AI completly off, the party is acting extremly stupidly. If I do turn it off, they very often refuse to take orders at all.

I don't remember having so much trouble with it when I played it back when.

Have you tried tweaking the companion behaviours from the character menu? I found that turning 'defend master' to off makes a huge positive difference . Telling your companions to 'attack nearest' will basically turn off 'follow' and 'stand ground' stance and let them auto summon their familiars and animal companions (put the cursor over a portrait or a spot on ground and hold right mouse). The AI has definitely had a lot of work done since release, even Quara is only occasionally causing friendly fire damage with wall of flame, fireball has been totally fine so far. Auto disarm/retrieve  traps and and pick locks seem to actually work now as well, although it does help if for sections like the crypt near fort Locke you equip characters like Khelgar with ranged weapons just to be sure that he won't set anything off, but I did see characters resist the urge to run ahead and came up with a message saying "I'm not doing anything until this trap is disarmed", which was awesome. Finally auto pick-up items is a  huge time-saver and probably my favourite feature. You get all 4-5 of your characters doing that and you barely have to pause after combat.

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 1

Tweaking the companion AI in NWN2 does most definitely help, but there is no combination of options that makes AI driven companions not idiots, you can only make them somewhat less idiotic. You can get it to the point that it's fine for filler fights, but major battles will always require micromanaging, at least if you're playing on Hardcore D&D difficulty (like I always do) or higher.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Tried Path of Exile on a whim.

...then gave up after the 20th Already Taken character name.

Ha! This is me, too. If I can't get *any* character names out of the dozen or so I have in a list, (literally, I keep them in a list, :p), I just give up.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Ha! This is me, too. If I can't get *any* character names out of the dozen or so I have in a list, (literally, I keep them in a list, :p), I just give up.

"I can't believe 'EliteSniper' was already taken!"

In all seriousness, yeah, was really surprised to discover that my usual MMO names that I normally have no problem getting were taken (Lamashtu, Lllitu, Laure, Laureline, Ledroit).

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I think I've got just about everything finished up that I need to complete for my first run of Dark Souls. Finally got around to heading back into the Depths to kill the Gaping Dragon, got the last few items I was missing in Blighttown, killed Dark Sun Gwyndolin and I think that's it. Other than collecting a bunch of souls to buy up the last of the armour sets I'm missing and/or upgrading some more items, I'm pretty sure I've beaten everything except the final boss now.

No wait! I still have to beat up Kalameet!

That guy definitely took some doing by my friend and I. Unfortunately my Pyromancies and Sorceries (my Faith was still sitting at 8, probably try and fix that in NG+) were a no sell, as was my Moonlight Greatsword. So I had to break out the Black Knight Halberd.

On the plus side, I think he's definitely do-able even if you're not specced out for survivability, and most of my deaths were a result of my being an idiot rather than anything inherently difficult.

The best piece of advice for that fight is get the Ninja-flip ring and Keep dodging left.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I think I've got just about everything finished up that I need to complete for my first run of Dark Souls. Finally got around to heading back into the Depths to kill the Gaping Dragon, got the last few items I was missing in Blighttown, killed Dark Sun Gwyndolin and I think that's it. Other than collecting a bunch of souls to buy up the last of the armour sets I'm missing and/or upgrading some more items, I'm pretty sure I've beaten everything except the final boss now.

No wait! I still have to beat up Kalameet!

That guy definitely took some doing by my friend and I. Unfortunately my Pyromancies and Sorceries (my Faith was still sitting at 8, probably try and fix that in NG+) were a no sell, as was my Moonlight Greatsword. So I had to break out the Black Knight Halberd.

On the plus side, I think he's definitely do-able even if you're not specced out for survivability, and most of my deaths were a result of my being an idiot rather than anything inherently difficult.

The best piece of advice for that fight is get the Ninja-flip ring and Keep dodging left.

I've fought him 3 times so far. I probably would have beaten him already, but I've been trying to get his tail and it's really, really difficult when you are don't have a summon to split his attention with. My first death was to something dumb. My second death was to getting caught at the very edge of his overhead flame breath attack as I tried to run away because I didn't have enough stamina to block the attack. My third death was to a charge immediately after getting up from being knocked down before I could get my shield up. All of these were avoidable.

I don't have the ninja flip ring and my gear load only allows mid rolls, but mobility hasn't been a problem for them most part. Thankfully he can't overwhelm the stability on my +5 crest shield which does wonders against his magic flame attacks. My claymore has gone into storage temporarily while I use the black knight axe which has been very nice for me so far. A little slower, but nice range and swing arc. Also has a vertical attack so I can hit the tail. Just need to work on my timing.

I've heard getting the tail is next to impossible without a summon given how quickly he reacquires you after every attack. That said in a strictly loot-oriented playthrough getting the tail is a success since the ring you get from beating him is actually purely detrimental.

-Rod Serling

I've heard getting the tail is next to impossible without a summon given how quickly he reacquires you after every attack. That said in a strictly loot-oriented playthrough getting the tail is a success since the ring you get from beating him is actually purely detrimental.

I managed to get the tail on my own! I only found one person to summon when I played earlier today and every time I tried I'd get summon failed. When I came back later in the evening I didn't see any summon signs so I eventually gave up waiting and went for it myself. I took me 5-6 tries to get the pattern down and figure out when I can effectively attack and when to back off.

If you are fighting Kalameet solo and you want to get the tail, there is really only one attack of his that will give you enough time to run up and smack the tail before he recovers. If you stick close in front of him he has two different attacks where he will rise up on his hind legs. The first one is his curse attack where he pulls you into the air and hits you with the debuff. The second one involves him breathing fire back and forth in a small arc in front of him. You want to wait for the fire attack, quickly unlock him, run behind him and hit the tail. You'll only have time for one swing so make sure it counts as it can be awhile between viable attacks.

I was using a Crest Shield +5 and my trusty Black Knight Axe +5. The crest shield has enough stability to tank his attacks without him breaking your guard and it provides excellent protection against his breath weapon. I'd use a 2 handed attack against his tail and with 40str/22dex I did about 500 damage per swing. I only needed two chops to take off the tail. The rest of his health bar was a piece of cake, especially since he no longer had a tail attack. Just stick close to him and keep trying to circle him until he attacks and you should have enough time for at least 1, maybe 2 swings depending on your weapon.

Other than that, I went and took care of Priscilla and bought all the different armour sets that Dornhall of Zena was selling. Lost twice in a row to a dragon covenant dude who was throwing around some really strong combustion pyromancies. I almost had him the second time around. He couldn't have had more than 10HP left after we hit each other. His shot killed me though. Tossed another point into Vitality to bring me up to SL88 and I'm pretty sure it's final boss time unless I can think of something else that I missed out on.

Edited by Deraldin

Congratz, Deraldin. I suppose next you're going to tell me you soloed Ornstein and Smough :D

I suppose with my Lightning Bruiser/Glass Cannon mentality when I create my PCs in RPGs I've been of the belief that "If you're getting hit, you're doing something wrong." Ah, the tyranny of load limits which forces almost everyone I talk to about the game to use Havel's Ring.

Tossed another point into Vitality to bring me up to SL88 and I'm pretty sure it's final boss time unless I can think of something else that I missed out on.

Great Hollow/Ash Lake? The place is a bit out of sight and out of mind, since there's not a whole lot of reasons to go too deep into that place if you're not using a Dragon wep as your primary arm.

My character at the moment in Ciaran's get-up: 

11019252523_0cc90b8f3e_o.jpg

11019253103_94b5aa3b4f_o.jpg

11019254613_c253702470_o.jpg

11019125906_2ea0128d01_o.jpg

Comes complete with jester-like boots.

Currently trying to decide what kind of weapon I want to be Lightning infused. With an Ascended Pyromancy Flame as a stand-in for a fusion pistol in my off-hand a "Power Sword" in my right, and equipped with the Ninja-flip ring, this will probably be the closest I'll ever get to my dream of playing an Eldar Harlequin in a video game.

Edited by Agiel

-Rod Serling

Congratz, Deraldin. I suppose next you're going to tell me you soloed Ornstein and Smough :D

Are you...not supposed to? I soloed everything in Dark Souls except the end game boss and the DLC content...and I didn't solo those because I kinda just got bored of the game after the fourth Lord Soul and quit. Although, admittedly, I do think that those guys were probably the hardest of the bosses that I did do. I also ended up killing Smough first, which you're apparently not supposed to do...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Are you...not supposed to? I soloed everything in Dark Souls except the end game boss and the DLC content...and I didn't solo those because I kinda just got bored of the game after the fourth Lord Soul and quit. Although, admittedly, I do think that those guys were probably the hardest of the bosses that I did do. I also ended up killing Smough first, which you're apparently not supposed to do...

Nah, soloing everything is perfectly possible, just more difficult. I ended up summoning Solaire for the Smough and Ornstein fight myself. I probably could have taken them both if I had kept trying, but it was considerably easier when you have a summoned ally to take the heat off of you while you 1v1 the remaining boss in that encounter. Killing Smough first isn't advised because when Ornstein powers up in the second half of the fight he is considerably tougher than Smough is as he has a more diverse move set and is much faster. Smough telegraphs his attacks so much it's almost impossible not to dodge him.

I also used Solaire to help out with the Centipede Demon, but that was it. The others have all be solo jobs. And I have been down to Ash Lake. I mainly went down there to kill the Hydra and see if Seigmeyer was down there, but I think I messed up part of his quest chain somewhere along the way as I never ran into him during Izalith. Don't really feel like running through lava all over again just to find him.

Yes Kalameet has only one attack where you can attack his tail. I could have told you that, if you asked me Deraldin. :D

As for Sieg, when did you last meet him or his daughter? And if you really intend to fight Gwyn, you might as well go kill every NPC out there. :) So you will own almost every item in the game. :D Oh and may advice for the Gwyn ... parry and riposte him. You'll love it. :)

Ninja ring is for tryhards only. As is Havel's ring. :p Real badasses use only Ring of favor and Wolf ring. :p  And dress in Crimson or Sage robe, plus Hollow soldier waist cloth, Gauntlets and helmet of your choosing, Elite knight gauntlets are a good choice and Royal helm looks great with Sage robe. At 40 endurance you're even under 25% encumbrance and therefore almost flying around. In style.

As for Ash lake, how else are you going to upgrade the great Obsidian Greatsword, the weapon of choice for Vitality/ Sunlight blade builds. :D  Or how else will you ugprade the moonlight sword? :grin:

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Ninja ring is for tryhards only. As is Havel's ring.  :p Real badasses use only Ring of favor and Wolf ring.

Hey, I liked the ninja flip ring. Wolf Ring is alright, but I prefer to not get hit to begin with. :p Then again, I was also pretty much purely a dexterity character and only used the default thief outfit, (since I thought everything else I picked up either looked ridiculous or was too heavy or very likely a combination of both), so that might've affected my outlook a little...:p

Yes Kalameet has only one attack where you can attack his tail. I could have told you that, if you asked me Deraldin. :D

As for Sieg, when did you last meet him or his daughter? And if you really intend to fight Gwyn, you might as well go kill every NPC out there. :) So you will own almost every item in the game. :D Oh and may advice for the Gwyn ... parry and riposte him. You'll love it. :)

Ninja ring is for tryhards only. As is Havel's ring. :p Real badasses use only Ring of favor and Wolf ring. :p  And dress in Crimson or Sage robe, plus Hollow soldier waist cloth, Gauntlets and helmet of your choosing, Elite knight gauntlets are a good choice and Royal helm looks great with Sage robe. At 40 endurance you're even under 25% encumbrance and therefore almost flying around. In style.

As for Ash lake, how else are you going to upgrade the great Obsidian Greatsword, the weapon of choice for Vitality/ Sunlight blade builds. :D  Or how else will you ugprade the moonlight sword? :grin:

Not sure when I last saw Sieg, but I rescued the daughter from the Duke's Archive and then talked to her at Firelink shrine. Not sure where they've wandered off to after that.

Is there any specific NPCs I should be looking to take care of for items?

I don't even have the ninja ring. I'm actually using both Havel's and the Ring of Favour. This black knight axe is heavy man! I don't care about the stats, but I like the look of the stone guardian armour set so I'm wearing that. It just doesn't look right carrying around this big ass axe while wearing light armour. If I really need the poise for something I can just swap out a piece or two of Havel's set.

I don't have anywhere close to the amount of faith I'd need for sunlight blade (I have 12) and I missed out on getting the moonlight sword because Seath is a jackass who turns around faster than Kalameet does.

Edited by Deraldin

I'm just trying to come up with a proper sounding name, but if the game insists on a nonsensical one..

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.  Very early on, so I have no real opinion of it yet.

Go fight a chimera then. You will have an opinion after that. :D

I just stumbled across those crocs in the well.  I was killing one pretty easily, but then I ran under a waterfall and my lantern went out.  So I see the croc I thought I was fighting suddenly have full health and I'm like, what?  Then I see another one with full health ... and then another one.

Lesson of the day: Don't run under a waterfall with your lantern.  It makes crocodiles/lizzard men multiply. :p

Edited by GhostofAnakin
  • Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm just trying to come up with a proper sounding name, but if the game insists on a nonsensical one..

This is the internet.  Your name must look something like this:  xXKrAzYgUrL681Xx

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.  Very early on, so I have no real opinion of it yet.

Go fight a chimera then. You will have an opinion after that. :D

I just stumbled across those crocs in the well.  I was killing one pretty easily, but then I ran under a waterfall and my lantern went out.  So I see the croc I thought I was fighting suddenly have full health and I'm like, what?  Then I see another one with full health ... and then another one.

Lesson of the day: Don't run under a waterfall with your lantern.  It makes crocodiles/lizzard men multiply. :p

i died several times in that cave during my first game.  i was so scared of lizardmen i think i waited till i gained like 15 more levels before going back and then (of course) i blasted them into tiny pieces

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Not sure when I last saw Sieg, but I rescued the daughter from the Duke's Archive and then talked to her at Firelink shrine. Not sure where they've wandered off to after that.

Is there any specific NPCs I should be looking to take care of for items?

I don't even have the ninja ring. I'm actually using both Havel's and the Ring of Favour. This black knight axe is heavy man! I don't care about the stats, but I like the look of the stone guardian armour set so I'm wearing that. It just doesn't look right carrying around this big ass axe while wearing light armour. If I really need the poise for something I can just swap out a piece or two of Havel's set.

Well the Jester in DLC as well as the giant Gough, Cierdan if you haven't given her Artorias soul, then all the smiths in Lordran, Anor Londo firekepeer, Quelaag's sisterm undead male merchant ( the only way to get an uchigatana, unless you join Forest covenant) ... join forest covenant, buy stuff from their trader, then kill him and his bodyguard. Kill Solaire if you haven't yet.  Patches should die too.  I think that's all. Killing Sieg is fine too but he's gone.  Also join Gravelord covenant to get the sword, maybe even bother to get/farm 10 eyes from "frogs" to get both spells too.

And you're unlucky then, Seath in NG+ is even more annoying.  Hmm, have you gone and killed logan after defeating Seath?

i died several times in that cave during my first game.  i was so scared of lizardmen i think i waited till i gained like 15 more levels before going back and then (of course) i blasted them into tiny pieces

I played on hard, so lizardmen were extra scary when i first met them, but the real terror were the bats. xD Although practially every enemy one hit killed me for quite a while.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Finished Fire Emblem: Awakening. Good game, but it's not going to have me caring much when the next title comes out.

Played some Pokemon Y, as well, and that's not very engaging. I'm not hooked. Maybe I'll just start up Tales of Xillia and give that a shot now.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."