RAnDoM VidEO GAmE NeWS

LadyCrimson

Can't you tell that's exactly what Bruce wants?

I also disagree with the notion that default narrative settings are apolitical.

That's is an excellent and informative read. Thanks Alan :)

I hope people spend time reading the whole article because it raises and dismisses many of the reasons I hear from people when we talk about the importance of inclusivity of certain groups in games. For example you hear comments " I'm not opposed to women or gay characters in a game but its just that this is not historically accurate in the context of Medieval war, so why ask for something that doesn't reflect the reality" and other absurd views around the importance of equality.

I'll be forwarding this link to several people I know who will find it very relevant and interesting

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

RPS and the like are the backwoodsmen of a dying kulturkampf.

Like Japanese soldiers marooned on a lonely atoll in 1976, they refuse to accept that the war is over. The growth of communications and Globalisation, love it or hate it, has rendered the 1980's / 1990's politically-correct guerilla warfare of the libtardians increasingly obsolete.

People will think what they want to think. Being lectured about isms on a bloody gaming site? Excuse me why I fly my lolocopter over loloburg.

If RPS had one or two white knights onboard that would be fine. But to have this dull editorial three-line whip? It's like the website of a boring 1980s polytechnic student union (I suffered those days, sports fans).

Games are like any other form of media.For example, This Robin Thicke person I keep hearing about makes me want to barf. He is a pointless dinosaur. I ignore him.

Just like I increasingly ignore RPS.

You may carry on.

• Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG

Like Japanese soldiers marooned on a lonely atoll in 1976, they refuse to accept that the war is over. The growth of communications and Globalisation, love it or hate it, has rendered the 1980's / 1990's politically-correct guerilla warfare of the libtardians increasingly obsolete.

People will think what they want to think. Being lectured about isms on a bloody gaming site? Excuse me why I fly my lolocopter over loloburg.

If RPS had one or two white knights onboard that would be fine. But to have this dull editorial three-line whip? It's like the website of a boring 1980s polytechnic student union (I suffered those days, sports fans).

Games are like any other form of media.For example, This Robin Thicke person I keep hearing about makes me want to barf. He is a pointless dinosaur. I ignore him.

You may carry on.

Its funny but I see your perspective as anachronistic and outdated, not the campaign for equality.

The reality is more and more people are aware of bigotry in society and more and more people won't keep quiet when they encounter it.

You need to realize that you are on the losing side of this debate in Western countries Monte as most  people do believe in the important of equal representation for all in society and that includes gaming and entertainment :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Goodbye Deponia is racist and sexist

I will still give it a go though.  I guess in a way it is nice to have a game where the protagonist is an utter douchebag.

That's what happens when you let Justin Bieber make a video game.

justin-bieber-charged-with-vandalism-aft

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

You need to realize that you are on the losing side of this debate in Western countries Monte as most  people do believe in the important of equal representation for all in society and that includes gaming and entertainment :)

Some people being unable to handle fiction and interpreting it as some sort of a halfass statement of social and political views is no cause for limiting artistic and narrative variety in entertainment. People really should leave these sort of politics out of it, and be concentrating their efforts on real life issues in places where it matters. A gay or a female joke, or uninclusiveness of a minority in a game is not going to burn the world (or the subjects of the joke).

All these pompous efforts at political correctness in this industry of late seem just artificial chestbumping for self elevation over a nonissue.

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 3

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Happy to oblige.  It has plenty of links to if you're curious about the validity of the claims.

Regardless, I stand by the statement: anyone that thinks that "default narrative settings" are apolitical are lying to themselves.

It's like when someone goes "Oh they called a game sexist, it's just to get more hits."  If any attempt to push away from the "default" is seen as political, then the default is itself a political statement.  Doubly so if people make a big deal about deviations away from the default as being political/social statements.

Most game stories are so cartoonish I don't see how anyone can take them so seriously and they probably shouldn't be. I also don't know why I need to look at some historical preachy feature on women to know they weren't all here to serve us, but then again I'm not insecure enough to need *proof*.

Happy to oblige.  It has plenty of links to if you're curious about the validity of the claims.

Regardless, I stand by the statement: anyone that thinks that "default narrative settings" are apolitical are lying to themselves.

It's like when someone goes "Oh they called a game sexist, it's just to get more hits."  If any attempt to push away from the "default" is seen as political, then the default is itself a political statement.  Doubly so if people make a big deal about deviations away from the default as being political/social statements.

Seems more like a cynical statement rather than a political statement to say they are doing it to stand out for attention.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You may carry on.

I'm with you on this one Monte, but I still read RPS because they do still have funny articles and they always deliver on the cheesy as **** puns that I crave.  I could definitely do without all the white knighting they do, but I just roll my eyes at it and don't let it ruin the other stuff for me.

Now for something less facepalm (or huff and puff, if that's your thing) worthy:  Feast your eyes on the amazing Super Mario 3D World OST:

cd-620x.jpg

That is simply marvelous.  Super Mario 3D World is the first (and only, so far) "next gen" (if you want to call the Wii U that) game that's given me an actual case of console envy.  Bowser on the drums is insanely awesome (I always did picture King Koopa on the skins).

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm not insecure enough to need *proof*.

I'm really curious as to how this works out. The typical example of security is one who welcomes challenges and evidence. Not avoiding it.
  • Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

In this case though he wouldn't be encountering a challenge, just an affirmation of what he already thinks which is unnecessary for one that is secure in their stance on that thing.  From his post, I get that was what he was trying to communicate anyway.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In this case though he wouldn't be encountering a challenge, just an affirmation of what he already thinks which is unnecessary for one that is secure in their stance on that thing.  From his post, I get that was what he was trying to communicate anyway.

Well as usual you response doesn't help the situation in the slightest :biggrin:

John Milton 

Yep. Everytime a handful of people misinterpret what I post, I can always count on atleast one person getting it right. 

Of course I'm not saying this applies to all games but  lets not dismiss the impact a game can have

I can't stand it when people say "video games aren't serious".  video games are a new form of art/entertainment.  like movies were in the 20's and 30's.  They can be as serious as they intend to be, and someday will MORE engrossing and evocative than any film could hope to be.  we haven't gotten there quite yet, but there have been moments in gaming that show glimpses of it.

i've cried while playing video games, because of the game itself.  twice that i can think of.  (walking dead was one of them).  how many movies have made me cry?  probably about a dozen or so (same for books).  I play games for many reasons, but one of them is that I genuinely believe "video games" are the single greatest form of art/entertainment/media we have, and dismissing them as being unacceptable vehicles for social discussion and/or emotional engagement is, imo, dismissing film and literature in the same breath. 

edit:  video games DO have an issue in that most major releases have the emotional maturity of a G.I. Joe cartoon at best.  but you can't dismiss the entire medium because the popular trend is to release trashy fiction/railroad-gun-simulators

edit 2: also, comic books.  most of them are pulp fiction, but some of them are literary works that have a lot of weight and depth.  I hope that video games will eventually evolve past where comics have.

Edited by entrerix
  • Like 2

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I can't stand it when people say "video games aren't serious".  video games are a new form of art/entertainment.  like movies were in the 20's and 30's.  They can be as serious as they intend to be, and someday will MORE engrossing and evocative than any film could hope to be.  we haven't gotten there quite yet, but there have been moments in gaming that show glimpses of it.

i've cried while playing video games, because of the game itself.  twice that i can think of.  (walking dead was one of them).  how many movies have made me cry?  probably about a dozen or so (same for books).  I play games for many reasons, but one of them is that I genuinely believe "video games" are the single greatest form of art/entertainment/media we have, and dismissing them as being unacceptable vehicles for social discussion and/or emotional engagement is, imo, dismissing film and literature in the same breath. 

edit:  video games DO have an issue in that most major releases have the emotional maturity of a G.I. Joe cartoon at best.  but you can't dismiss the entire medium because the popular trend is to release trashy fiction/railroad-gun-simulators

edit 2: also, comic books.  most of them are pulp fiction, but some of them are literary works that have a lot of weight and depth.  I hope that video games will eventually evolve past where comics have.

Well it's no secret that those in the gaming industry have been trying to make games as equals to other mediums of story telling, for whatever reasons that are alien to me. Games should first and foremost be games, and if the end result is a good story then so be it but let's not apply some sort of preachy standard to games in general - they've been trying to do it for a while and fail each time.

I didn't say games are unacceptable for social discussion and the like but let me know when there's a game that actually has good enough writing to be considered some sort of legit critique of society. Mostly all we have is cheesy Bioware dialogues and other fantasy games with dwarf racism and crap. Riveting stuff. Game politics are cliched as helllllll. Maybe the Witcher 1 had some decent stuff mixed in there, but it didn't generate the amount of publicity of those nudey cards.

A game like Bloodlines, I'd consider it a work of art for sure. I'm not knocking the industry in that sense, but look at what one of the creators is making as a follow up. Dead State - a real life response to a ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. The game might be cool but I can only imagine the type of people who would take the scenario seriously.

Well it's no secret that those in the gaming industry have been trying to make games as equals to other mediums of story telling, for whatever reasons that are alien to me. Games should first and foremost be games, and if the end result is a good story then so be it but let's not apply some sort of preachy standard to games in general - they've been trying to do it for a while and fail each time.

I didn't say games are unacceptable for social discussion and the like but let me know when there's a game that actually has good enough writing to be considered some sort of legit critique of society. Mostly all we have is cheesy Bioware dialogues and other fantasy games with dwarf racism and crap. Riveting stuff. Game politics are cliched as helllllll. Maybe the Witcher 1 had some decent stuff mixed in there, but it didn't generate the amount of publicity of those nudey cards.

A game like Bloodlines, I'd consider it a work of art for sure. I'm not knocking the industry in that sense, but look at what one of the creators is making as a follow up. Dead State - a real life response to a ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. The game might be cool but I can only imagine the type of people who would take the scenario seriously.

You know what would be refreshing change, if you actually acknowledged something along the lines of "hey guys you know what. I was wrong. Games do actually have a significant impact in our lives. The same as a good book or movie. I agree that we think about them and the storylines"

I don't understand why people think that admitting they are wrong is somehow a sign of weakness or it undermines what others may think of them. Anyway just a thought :)

• Like 2

John Milton