RAnDoM VidEO GAmE NeWS

LadyCrimson

"A spiritual successor,[1][2] sometimes called a spiritual sequel,[3] is a successor to a work of fiction which does not build upon the storyline established by a previous work as do most traditional prequels or sequels, but nevertheless features many of the same elements, themes, and styles as its source material."

My thoughts on how character powers and urgency could be implemented:

http://forums.obsidi...nse-of-urgency/

Summing up a game as "x with y" seems more blind or disingenuous to me to be honest.

Hunted had neat puzzles, a color palette, an interesting backstory and a playable machinegun-bow elf (which is rare).
GoW had a bigger cast, more varied enemies, etc

As for depth of a story, *shrug*

The Matrix thaught us to challenge our perception of reality... which doesn't have a whole lot of practical everyday uses.
Song of Ice and Fire breaks down feudalism... which hasn't been in fashion for a few hundred centuries.

I don't see why this discussion even goes on. Everyone knows what PS:T was like, you know what InXile is shooing for.

The thing is, TToN is not a direct sequel to PT.  It aims to be thematically similar, but it's a completely new game in a new world with new characters.  It doesn't need to carbon copy everything that PT did.  Besides, the combat mechanics in PT were arguably the weakest part of the game, hence why I have no qualms whatsoever to them being completely different in TToN.  Not to mention, as someone who owns the Numenera tabletop game, the mechanics of that system lend themselves to turn-based a lot better than RTwP, particularly the system of assigning effort to actions.  Translating the effort system into real-time would require considerably hacking the system and/or constant pausing and micromanaging on the part of the player, which would essentially turn it into a turn-based game anyway, just a lot less gracefully executed one.

So basically, Torment in name only?

Snip

The problem is that all of that can be summarized as "we're going to try and give it a good story." Hell, using their definition the Witcher series is a spiritual successor to Torment.

So, are you seriously saying that there will be absolutely no difference between Numenera, The Witcher and Mass Effect? Do you even understand what spiritual successor actually means?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The thing is, TToN is not a direct sequel to PT.  It aims to be thematically similar, but it's a completely new game in a new world with new characters.  It doesn't need to carbon copy everything that PT did.

That's funny, because the problem I have with Numenera is that based on the information released so far, it seems to be almost a point-for-point rehash of the original Torment, right down to the protagonist being some sort of immortal with amnesia, who draws other suffering indivuals to him and who must navigate multiple bizarre words to find the answer to a pseudo-philosophical question of a deeply personal nature.

Although I agree that they shouldn't be beholden to the same type of combat as the first Torment, so the fact that they're considering turnbased is at least something positive.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl

I have just remembered another gripe about World of Warcraft. It's lost the community.

Something that actually bothered me when they first introduced the crossrealm dungeon/raidfinder, was that people stopped socializing on the server. You never had a chance to build up a reputation on the server as being a competent player, good person or funny. There was nothing of it, all the channels were dead besides the oafs that noone wanted to listen to and goldfarmer spam, so that did'nt compensate for anything. You rarely had the chance to meet an interesting person while pugging because they all came from different servers and you could'nt reliably start guilds or anything similar.

That goes double for PvP! You never really get to find build up any form of relationship with the other faction on the server either, even with the open BG areas. You never really find your nemesis or such either.

Though, people having to wait 30 minutes for a BG was'nt fun either, especially if there was a steamroll waiting to come down on them.

My opinion on this is somewhat screwed though, since I played on an PvE server, where the alliance players usually came over to chat/whinge and plead to get some scores.

We did steamroll through Arathi Basin 99% of the time, wich often led to the Alliance staying in their base sulking or going fishing. Wich in turn led to us running around naked inviting them to get some free HK's atleast...

Or us jumping into AB fighting an Alliance premade. In dresses. And winning. xD

TL/DR, Crossrealm killed WoW for me.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It's something those in long-term guilds may not come to realise for a good while. By late 2005 I'd joined a raiding guild and more or less left the public channels forever. In early 2007 I accidentally ended up co-leading a new guild and became even more isolated from the 'outside', apart from recruiting exercises. It wasn't until about 2011, near the point where I quit for good, that, as an experiment, I started up a new character on a 'local' (i.e. Oceanic) server and went 1-85, somehow never communicating with a single other person. Granted, I didn't even try to talk to anyone myself, but when last in that sort of situation, more than half a decade prior, there'd be no shortage of people initiating some sort of contact (random pop-ups to join someone's random guild don't count).

I did more or less zero PvP in my last four years of playing so I can't say anything about that.

• Like 3

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I did Wow for half an hour and Guildwars for about 6 month. That is the grand total of my MMO experience. 

Although come to think of it now I'm playing Path of Exile. The first thing I did was turn off all the channels, there was nothing going on there except various spams. I wonder if that dynamic could be changed if there was no economy and no incentive to farm. There would just be a practical need to work together as a team. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It's something those in long-term guilds may not come to realise for a good while. By late 2005 I'd joined a raiding guild and more or less left the public channels forever. In early 2007 I accidentally ended up co-leading a new guild and became even more isolated from the 'outside', apart from recruiting exercises. It wasn't until about 2011, near the point where I quit for good, that, as an experiment, I started up a new character on a 'local' (i.e. Oceanic) server and went 1-85, somehow never communicating with a single other person. Granted, I didn't even try to talk to anyone myself, but when last in that sort of situation, more than half a decade prior, there'd be no shortage of people initiating some sort of contact (random pop-ups to join someone's random guild don't count).

I did more or less zero PvP in my last four years of playing so I can't say anything about that.

When you factor in Phasing into that... double-whammy. Alot of people can't even see your toon, just because you finished a questchain - hence you can't even go back to help people. Wich was really annoying on a RPPvP server where we were starting anew. I got corpsecamped and eventually asked for help; Noone in the channel that was interested in helping out and my friends could'nt even see me when they came there... Great stuff.

I remember Barrens general chat. Hot damn, there was alot of chatting going on. 'Course that was also because it was such an annoying place, but it was bearable because of social interactions there. Hell, you even got HELP from PEOPLE! You did'nt have to tab out to look at guides back then...

They've really succeeded in taking the Massive out of their MMO.

I did Wow for half an hour and Guildwars for about 6 month. That is the grand total of my MMO experience. 

Although come to think of it now I'm playing Path of Exile. The first thing I did was turn off all the channels, there was nothing going on there except various spams. I wonder if that dynamic could be changed if there was no economy and no incentive to farm. There would just be a practical need to work together as a team. 

Possibly, you could get guild recruitment spam and such though, but yeah. Removing the opportunity to trade would help with that bit.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I liked WoW best before the Honor Kill patch. At that time there was so much socializing around and much more mature communication, after that the server started to fill up with jerks or more like the people started to behave that way. I was playing on PvP server from start, but before the Honor patch, there was the nice feel of danger everywhere. After Honor Patch, there was the feel, "who's gonna corpse camp me now"... Which ruined one part of WoW for me, but right after that, I joined a guild, and a new possibilities opened up. I ended, with my guild on a server, where Nihilum was playing (the wolrd first dudes) so this brought a lot of jerks as well, but communication outside of guild was pretty common, and finding a PuGs was never hard, even without dungeon finder. Then they added cross realm for it and it became boring. It pretty made even guild chat more silent. No one needed anyone else besides big raids and achievement farming... yeah, became bored a lot. I bought Cataclysm, but haven't even activated my serial key after that... sighs, never touched Pandaria

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I liked WoW best before the Honor Kill patch. At that time there was so much socializing around and much more mature communication, after that the server started to fill up with jerks or more like the people started to behave that way. I was playing on PvP server from start, but before the Honor patch, there was the nice feel of danger everywhere. After Honor Patch, there was the feel, "who's gonna corpse camp me now"... Which ruined one part of WoW for me, but right after that, I joined a guild, and a new possibilities opened up. I ended, with my guild on a server, where Nihilum was playing (the wolrd first dudes) so this brought a lot of jerks as well, but communication outside of guild was pretty common, and finding a PuGs was never hard, even without dungeon finder. Then they added cross realm for it and it became boring. It pretty made even guild chat more silent. No one needed anyone else besides big raids and achievement farming... yeah, became bored a lot. I bought Cataclysm, but haven't even activated my serial key after that... sighs, never touched Pandaria

Mirror imaged essentially. I was on Earthen Ring RP from the beginning though, so the HK patch actually helped things a little in my case, because suddenly people were interested in PvP in a whole 'nother way.

I can easilly believe how the mood would've changed on an PvP server though.

Never bought Cata though, but it was a close call for a while.

If someone wants to kickstart a combat-free RPG, I wouldn't be able to throw my money at them fast enough.  

I'd be all for that.

I've been clamoring over an idea that someone should make an RPG that would take inspiration from the gameplay presentation of this game (obviously with the technical bells and whistles of today) accompanied with robust rules and intriguing writing; well ok, not completely combat free, but with abstracted (and avoidable) combat similiar to Wasteland.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I have some concepts for a combat free rpg. I'd love to make one. But I can't make games :p

Learn.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I have some concepts for a combat free rpg. I'd love to make one. But I can't make games :p

Make a 5 minute movie saying you're an indie developer who's being oppressed by big publishers, get 300k dollars on kickstarter and then just hire some ukranian homeless people who will code for food. You've got no excuse.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

To bad, none of the launch titles for both new consoles interest me...

Make a 5 minute movie saying you're an indie developer who's being oppressed by big publishers, get 300k dollars on kickstarter and then just hire some ukranian homeless people who will code for food. You've got no excuse.

Will you code for pizza or hamburgers?

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/11/microsoft-shouldnt-hire-any-ceo-who-wants-to-kill-bing-and-xbox/

An interesting new article about future of Microsoft and hiring new CEO.

Many analyst are recommending to Microsoft to ditch Bing and Xbox, because they do not make enough profit.

Looks like there is some chance for lot of people ending up with pretty expensive paperweight :/

I can place a chode between your ham burgers for free. Send me your picture.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I can place a chode between your ham burgers for free. Send me your picture.

I am honored.  :bow: