Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

I have just watched Savages and I highly recommend it. Its directed by Oliver Stone and is about 2 guys living in California who sell weed for a living and whose mutual g-friend gets kidnapped by a Mexican cartel. It stars Benicio del Toro who is always a pleasure to watch :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sometimes when you're in a blah/bad mood, you want to see an inspiring, uplifting movie to keep your chin up and give you hope.

Other times when you're in a blah/bad mood, you want to see a depressing, downer movie to remind yourself that "hey, at least my life isn't like that."

I re-watched The Road.

Mission achieved. :biggrin:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Zodiac (2007). Enjoyed it a lot, not knowing the story at all the end surprised me. All the evidence was so pointing at one suspect but then there was also evidence totally speaking AGAINST him. Very fascinating case.

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I have just watched Savages and I highly recommend it. Its directed by Oliver Stone and is about 2 guys living in California who sell weed for a living and whose mutual g-friend gets kidnapped by a Mexican cartel. It stars Benicio del Toro who is always a pleasure to watch :)

I sort of second this. On the one hand, seeing Blake Lively getting boned never gets old. Neither does watching gnarly Afghan veterans ambushing Mexican drug dealers. John Travolta is also rather good as a corrupt DEA agent.

But there's something... meh about parts of it. Del Toro and the lovely Salma Hayek feel like they are both going through the motions and the narrative (through Lively's character's voice) is twee.

However, as Bruce says, it's a good movie overall and definitely worth a look-in if you like glossy-but-dirty crime thrillers.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Tree of Life

"What?!"

I've seen weird or difficult movies before, like Tarkovsky's "The Mirror", but this movie was even more bizzare. It was more of an experiment in cinematography than actually a movie.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Offence.

A taut, disturbing and extremely dour character study from Sidney Lumet, a film that is quite challenging and yet undoubtedly a masterpiece in my view. Sean Connery gives one of the best performances of his life, ably supported by Ian Bannen, in a role that should have garnered the man an Oscar. The slow, careful and relentless unfolding of the Offence really does hark back to an age of film we seemingly don't see any more, and personally i'd say that we need another director like Lumet back in the chair making such fare.

The film has one scene of violence within it, though there are many flashbacks to the horrendous sights Connery's character has seen in his twenty years on the force, but that one scene carries more weight and impact than all of the high fidelity stylised displays seen in many modern films. Brutal, short and ugly as it should be.

Highly recommended though in all honesty it is difficult viewing at times.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The Producers. 

Mel Brooks is amazing, though seeing a young Brooks was uncanny. We only recognized him because of his distinctive voice. 

I do need to limit my quips, though. We love quoting movies we saw, but humming Don't be stupid, be a smarty/Come and join the Nazi party might not be the most reasonable decision in the middle of Germany. Hell, watching Brooks movies is a bit of defiance due to the way German law is structured (and mandated self-censorship, enforced by sad old men and women, lobotmized of all sense and rationality).

• Like 2

So I watched an Asylum flick called "Atlantic Rim." One guess which big-name film it's ripping off. Also, "watched" is a loose term. More like I skimmed through it. Anyway, I watched it because I noticed Graham Greene was in it. I used to love Graham Greene.

Even he couldn't do anything for this piece of trash film. He was as stilted in delivery and as poorly directed/bored looking as everyone else. Terrible. Poor Graham.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I sort of second this. On the one hand, seeing Blake Lively getting boned never gets old. Neither does watching gnarly Afghan veterans ambushing Mexican drug dealers. John Travolta is also rather good as a corrupt DEA agent.

But there's something... meh about parts of it. Del Toro and the lovely Salma Hayek feel like they are both going through the motions and the narrative (through Lively's character's voice) is twee.

However, as Bruce says, it's a good movie overall and definitely worth a look-in if you like glossy-but-dirty crime thrillers.

I know you not nitpicking but I thought both there characters were really interesting and multi-dimensional. For example Salma was this hectic, hard core cartel leader yet you could also empathize with her around how she ended up in the position and her relationship with her daughter. In fact now that I think about it all the characters had interesting stories

But either way its a great movie :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Watched Puppet Master X (2012) - Toulon's puppets continue the fight against Nazi's sometime in the 1940s. Its fun enough, I wouldn't rank it in the best of the series, but it does better than the worst. Sort of middle of the pack.

Ratatouille (2007) - a fun Pixar film; its exciting as its going but I felt the end felt oddly distancing.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Pitch Black.

OK so it took me a long time to get round to. Having seen the second in the series before I was surprised to find Riddick such an interesting character. WTF, Hollywood!?

Intent: 8/10

delivery: 9/10

• Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I watched Dirty Wars, which I recommend. It's terrible that this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. What a cynical world. It's a stark reminder how much of our lives are filled with propaganda and spindoctoring.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I recommend reading the book. compared to it the documentary felt a bit underwhelming. I especially disliked how it was filmed centered on Scahill looking for the story rather than on the the story unwinding before us. 

to get back on track: watched the original The Heartbreak Kid. I didn't like the remake with Stiller, but after reading Roger Ebert's piece on the original movie I thought I just had to watch it. and it is great. I don't want to compete with Ebert, since I'll never be able to sell this movie better than he, so here's his review: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-heartbreak-kid-1972

I'll just say that the ending reminded me of The Graduate, only I liked Grodin's character in this a lot more than Hoffman's in that one. and Cybill Shepherd is just fantastic. 

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

11:14 - interesting film of a short time period and sequence of events via different perspectives, although perhaps not quite as interesting as it thinks it is. Also of interest to me - Clark Gregg (Agent Coulson) and Patrick Swayze have roles.

I watched Dirty Wars, which I recommend. It's terrible that this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. What a cynical world. It's a stark reminder how much of our lives are filled with propaganda and spindoctoring.

Speak for yourself, mate. My life is full of truths told by wise woodland animals. And that odd looking fellah who keeps messing with my milk deliveries.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/movienewsandreviews/news/?a=93554

WB wants Guy Ritchie to do a 6 film King Arthur series. If even one of them is as good as Excalibur I will be happy.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

WB wants Guy Ritchie to do a 6 film King Arthur series. If even one of them is as good as Excalibur I will be happy.

If he can get Brad Pitt to show up and speak like this, it will be epic.

http://youtu.be/g7QBS0O7gT0

Edited by Hurlshot

Trying to do some fantasy casting in my head and all I can come up with is Bill Nighy as Merlin.

Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'd be cool if they took Bernard Cornwell's Authurian twist when writing the story.  As is, it will probably be a lighter, action version of the legend with Ritchie at the helm.

Jack Reacher

Honestly? I found the movie kinda boring because it was basically a Tom Cruise Ego trip. I mean it's based off basic airport book trash but Reacher is some sort of Ubermench who can mop the floor with anyone while also doing Holmsian level deduction through the entire movie. It didn't feel like he ever really had a challenge in the entire blasted thing.

• Like 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Jack Reacher

Honestly? I found the movie kinda boring because it was basically a Tom Cruise Ego trip. I mean it's based off basic airport book trash but Reacher is some sort of Ubermench who can mop the floor with anyone while also doing Holmsian level deduction through the entire movie. It didn't feel like he ever really had a challenge in the entire blasted thing.

That does sound like the books, really.  

Fight Club (1999).

One to watch - ONCE. One to think about a little and let go. Nice for a dialogue with a friend, gf or a wife.

Left me feeling a bit on edge, annoyed and restless afterwards.

(Signatures: disabled)