Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Return of the Living Dead. Is it just me, or does every 80's movie flash boobs at really weird time?

Define "weird time" for boob flashing?  Besides, IIRC Trash was doing a strip tease anyhow - or am I forgetting something.

But...47 Ronin is set in Japan with what I believe is a mostly Japanese except Keanu (explained in story) and the westerners on the outer islands (Dutch?) that appear in the single sequence when the lead Ronin goes there (to recruit Keanu - explained in the story)

Which is a bit more like if Japan had done a movie about Julius Ceasar, set in Ancient Rome, filmed in Budapest and staring a mostly european cast except for one of the two male leads who is a period explained Japanese national or something.

Still sounds inheritly bad.

Well I imagine anyone looking for something hewing closer to the source story will be put off, that's for sure.

I treated it as a fantasy movie loosely based on the 47 Ronin story, so probably am more forgiving.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Return of the Living Dead. Is it just me, or does every 80's movie flash boobs at really weird time?

The guy with his name on the scantly clad women thread is complaining about boobs? Say it isn't so.

Also I've been watching a lot of bad movies lately but that's only cause they're on episodes of MST3K

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Reacher - Very entertaining, I think they nailed the character in the books.  It's really a fairly dark movie.  Tom Cruise was great.

I have to admit, it's interesting how it works out.  The author wrote Reacher as this huge guy purely to give that sense of implacable, unstopping nature and he was initially against Cruise because he isn't a big guy. But Cruise manages to convey all of that just with the personality he infused into the character, which is kind of impressive by itself.

Yeah, there was really only one scene where it didn't work.  At one point the detective asks a hotel clerk if she has any residents that kill someone in one punch, and she mentions a pseudonym that Reacher was using.  Tom Cruise doesn't really look lke the type that could kill with one punch :p

That being said, he exuded charm and intelligence, and by the end a real sense of dangerousness.  

Saw it and have to agree with all of the above.. Good acting, interesting plot and a good movie..

Fortune favors the bald.

47 Ronin - Don't get the hate for this movie. Not the best but it is a thrilling action adventure from start to finish. The story was good, the acting was solid, and the special effects were terrific: 8/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Blackfish - Well, I'm never going to Seaworld, that's for sure.

Yup, same here, saw it as well. Poor creatures :(

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Heh, and from an article about the new Hercules film..

Probably the best part — well, other than the lightning sword — is that this movie is basically nothing but beefcake. Every ridiculous position that you've ever seen a female superhero in — from the "I'm looking kittenishly at you over my shoulder from a prone position" move, to the "somehow I fight while showing off my ****" maneuver — Hercules does it. It's like somebody from the Hawkeye Initiative infiltrated the choreography department. When Hercules is reunited with Generic Babe, she's standing there fully dressed while he emerges from a lake, gleaming and naked. It's pretty obvious whose body we're supposed to be fetishizing here, and I like it

I think we'll have to wait for LC to give us the review on this one...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Should see that.  Though from comments on it I find it funny to read the filmmaker saying she doesn't want Seaworld shut down, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Should see that.  Though from comments on it I find it funny to read the filmmaker saying she doesn't want Seaworld shut down, heh.

I had an interesting talk about this with my wife.  I'm not against Zoos and Wild Animal Parks, in a lot of ways they play an important role in preservation of species.  The big issue here is the Killer Whales, that's what the movie focuses on.  You take a huge animal and put it in a small pool, it's a pretty obvious problem.  

I think I have a problem with the whole idea of putting animals in a show, but then again I'm not really going to complain about a dog show.  It's definitely a complex question.  The former trainers had a lot of interesting things to say about it. 

"Probably the best part — well, other than the lightning sword — is that this movie is basically nothing but beefcake. Every ridiculous position that you've ever seen a female superhero in — from the "I'm looking kittenishly at you over my shoulder from a prone position" move, to the "somehow I fight while showing off my ****" maneuver — Hercules does it. It's like somebody from the Hawkeye Initiative infiltrated the choreography department. When Hercules is reunited with Generic Babe, she's standing there fully dressed while he emerges from a lake, gleaming and naked. It's pretty obvious whose body we're supposed to be fetishizing here, and I like it"

The funny thing if the opposite occurred the sexists in this world would be crying.  For me, this is a shrug, and a move on. besides, I'm waiting for the superior Hercules movie to come out later this year. :)

"Probably the best part — well, other than the lightning sword — is that this movie is basically nothing but beefcake. Every ridiculous position that you've ever seen a female superhero in — from the "I'm looking kittenishly at you over my shoulder from a prone position" move, to the "somehow I fight while showing off my ****" maneuver — Hercules does it. It's like somebody from the Hawkeye Initiative infiltrated the choreography department. When Hercules is reunited with Generic Babe, she's standing there fully dressed while he emerges from a lake, gleaming and naked. It's pretty obvious whose body we're supposed to be fetishizing here, and I like it"

The funny thing if the opposite occurred the sexists in this world would be crying.  For me, this is a shrug, and a move on. besides, I'm waiting for the superior Hercules movie to come out later this year. :)

I'm just wondering if Dwayne Johnson's charisma can overcome Brett Ratner's mediocrity. Bah, who am I kidding, if a Samoan guy can be believable as a Greek hero, he can do anything.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Heh, and from an article about the new Hercules film..

[ snip ]

I think we'll have to wait for LC to give us the review on this one...

....never heard of it (or that there's another one coming), and doesn't sound like I'd be interested in it even if I had. And not because of any boy-toy visuals. :lol: Not really into Hollywood treatment of Greek mythology, except Ray Harryhausen. I had/read a lot of ancient myth children's books as a kid...always seemed to be the types of chrs. that work better on paper than the screen.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

ugh, I hated it. so predictable, such lame dialogue... Arnie is cool, though. 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

the wolf of wall street

Great acting, great dialogue, not really an interesting story, kinda obvious "money/power corrupts" message and nothing really special.

Good way to pass an evening with friends, and I don;t really score movies, but 7/10.

Am I the only one who is amazed that Leonardo Dicaprio always seems to pick winners to be in?

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Some old horror movie from 1977 called "Rituals" (or at one point, known as The Creeper). Shades of Deliverance (backwoods vacation guys, hunted by a disfigured, crazy nut), except it's more straight-up horror vs. just horrifying, if that makes sense. It actually wasn't too bad, with enough characterization to make it interesting. The ending was silly tho. But mostly, I was impressed with Hal Holbrook. Considering the type of movie, he did nicely as the type who refuses to let his humanity be compromised even if it might save his life.

Also watched Blackfish. I remember when that trainer was killed, it was all over the web news-wise. As a kid I recall seeing some killer whale shows at Marine World (when Marine World was still MW and not Six Flags) so I understand the viewer-appeal of such. But as an adult - yeah, so not happening.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"Leo is extremely careful about what he chooses to work in, and he basically only works with the best directors in the world.  Combine that with his acting, and you've got a blockbuster recipe. "

Yup, just more awesome reasons why he's the best. I never would have bothered with the movie if Leo wasn't in though while Wolf will end up making money in the end, it's not a full fledge blockbuster nor should it expected to be. 7/10 is too low but eh.

Too bad he is on 'sabbatical' so we may not get more movies from him for 2-4 years. :(

Outside of Critters 3, btw, has he ever done sequels?

• Like 1

"Leo is extremely careful about what he chooses to work in, and he basically only works with the best directors in the world. Combine that with his acting, and you've got a blockbuster recipe. "

Yup, just more awesome reasons why he's the best. I never would have bothered with the movie if Leo wasn't in though while Wolf will end up making money in the end, it's not a full fledge blockbuster nor should it expected to be. 7/10 is too low but eh.

Too bad he is on 'sabbatical' so we may not get more movies from him for 2-4 years. :(

doesn't his character die in pretty much every movie?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Reacher - Very entertaining, I think they nailed the character in the books.  It's really a fairly dark movie.  Tom Cruise was great.

I have to admit, it's interesting how it works out.  The author wrote Reacher as this huge guy purely to give that sense of implacable, unstopping nature and he was initially against Cruise because he isn't a big guy. But Cruise manages to convey all of that just with the personality he infused into the character, which is kind of impressive by itself.

Yeah, there was really only one scene where it didn't work.  At one point the detective asks a hotel clerk if she has any residents that kill someone in one punch, and she mentions a pseudonym that Reacher was using.  Tom Cruise doesn't really look lke the type that could kill with one punch :p

That being said, he exuded charm and intelligence, and by the end a real sense of dangerousness.  

Well, if you're talking about killing a smallish woman like that amber girl with one punch I don't think you have to be huge at all. Have you heard about that knock out game? Anyways they didn't kill her with one punch, they suffocated her.

Define "weird time" for boob flashing?  Besides, IIRC Trash was doing a strip tease anyhow - or am I forgetting something.

While drinking in a graveyard.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Leo is extremely careful about what he chooses to work in, and he basically only works with the best directors in the world. Combine that with his acting, and you've got a blockbuster recipe. "

doesn't his character die in pretty much every movie?

No that's Sean Bean

uNAbLX7.gif

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 2

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Dicaprio has a huge death rate  on film as well. Only reason why he doesn't in Wolf is because it is based on real life. Otherwise, Sorcese likely would have his character  not go quietly with the police and he would have perished in a hail of bullets. L0L