Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

"The Awakening" on the BBC iplayer

Rather odd little horror movie leavened by some very fine actors and a dash of social-historical commentary on the First World War. And a bit of classy bathing boob.

A good movie for sitting and MST3K-ing. While still being fun in its own right.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

She Elf was necessary.   She brought the sexy and the purity of heart the film needed. Unless you think looking at ugly dwarves, ugly hobbit, ugly old men, and ugly orcs  for nearly 3 hours is a good thing. L0L

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Eyecandy is indeed important! One thing I liked with her addition is that she's a silvan elf. As opposed to all the other major elven characters in the movies, who are of very royal elvenkin. 

I liked one of her initial scenes, the one where she talks about how the elves love starlight (any Tolkien geek knows why). My favorite scene in the movie actually, except the ending of it with Legolas' jealousy stare. Seriously, why did they have to make that silly romance triangle? So ridiculous. A small scene with Kili and Tauriel bonding would suffice, and then later have that dismantled when both choose loyalty to their lord/race over friendship, thus not undermining that insane accomplishment Legolas' and Gimli's friendship in LOTR was supposed to be.

Edited by Thingolfin
  • Like 1

The warrior and the sorceress.

B-movie Yojimbo knock-off, DAvid Carradine kicking arse, Maria Socas topless the entire movie, Luke Askew one of the villains and a very young Anthony De Longis bare chested the entire movie... basically the perfect Christmas movie.

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The Return of the Jedi - the Lucas-raped version.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I now have an image of Lucas sodomising Darth Vader while James Earl Jones yells "stop". Not very plesant.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

There exists the fondest, faintest new hope that Disney will release a theatrical blu-ray. A herd of nerfs might also fly out of my butt, but, it could happen.

This past holiday week, like a champion nerd, I watched extended editions of all four LOTR movies. Still working on the thirteen separate commentary tracks across all four films. Maybe I should break both my legs and become an invalid. Wait I don't have insurance nevermind.

All Stop. On Screen.

There exists the fondest, faintest new hope that Disney will release a theatrical blu-ray. A herd of nerfs might also fly out of my butt, but, it could happen.

This past holiday week, like a champion nerd, I watched extended editions of all four LOTR movies. Still working on the thirteen separate commentary tracks across all four films. Maybe I should break both my legs and become an invalid. Wait I don't have insurance nevermind.

I think Disney cares more about money than Lucas' artistic desires. There will be a release of the theatrical versions.

Saw The Wolverine and Jack and the Giant Slayer. The Wolverine acted like the ending was a big surprise, but it was so obvious. Otherwise I really enjoyed it. Much better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Pretty wicked sword that can cut through Adamantium like butter.

Jack and the Giant Slayer was pretty generic fantasy fare. Bill Nighy's voice and Ewan McGregor were the highlights.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Was watching The Core late last night. Despite it's utter laughable "science" and lack of originality I kinda like that movie. Emphasis on kinda. Probably for the people that are in it more than anything else. Bruce Greenwood, Aaron Eckhart. And Stanley Tucci. I love that guy, he cracks me up.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Wolf of Wall Street - The butthurt over this movie is hilarious which makes it even awesomer. Outside of a few times, another near flawless performance by Dicaprio that will be left unrewarded. For shame. The depraivity is off the charts, the laughs are hilarious, and the drama is rocking. 9.5/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You really love Dicaprio, don't you? :)

Tried to watch something called Flatland (2007), which is some weird animated film about a 2D world. Conceptually sorta interesting, but too far out there for me. Turned it off.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think Disney cares more about money than Lucas' artistic desires. There will be a release of the theatrical versions.

Except I just remembered 20th Century Fox owns distribution of the films? Anyway, they would be fools not to release it. I will keep an eye on May the 4th this coming year, just in case, for reasons.  

All Stop. On Screen.

Started to watch "Open Grave" last night, but after 20 minutes I realized I was too tired, so I'll finish it tonight. Feels like a low budget indie thriller/horror maybe, and it starts off rather intriguingly, at least. 

As an actor? Absolutely.

Yes, that's all I meant. ;)

I still find him an odd chap for me, because as the years go by I feel like I should like him more as his abilities matured. Maybe it's more that I don't generally like the movies he's in all that much. eg, I find the films kinda dull.

Whereas Brad Pitt is the opposite sort of odd duck, because early on I was also largely unimpressed (just a pretty face), then he grew on me, and by now I like him quite a bit. Particularly in his non-leading roles, at times. Not that he hasn't been in klunkers, too. But it's interesting how much that can affect one's viewpoint of an actor/actress, I think.

Elysium. Enjoyed it a lot, but wish directors/cinematographers would get it through their heads that no one likes shakycam.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hot Coffee, a documentary on the tort reform movement that was spearheaded after the woman sued McDonalds and won. Seeing the photos of her injuries was nuts. The whole thing just made me angry at corporations again.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug (2013) - Pretty good.  A bit more lively since they got the explanations out of the way.  People upset about stuff being added or subtracted will find more here to dislike, but I can divorce myself from the books.

The Curse of the Black Parrot (1941) - interesting who-dunnit (and a bit how'd they do it) involving an art forger and a fake (or is it?) cabinet, and some international intrigue.  Good use of makeup to hide the villain and an interesting central mystery.  A bit stage-bound feeling (which isn't surprising, given that its based on a stage play)

Logan's Run (1976) - An interesting 70s sci-fi film that stuffs up the ending (the logic of it falls to pieces, alas) but is otherwise pretty darn good.  Also made back in the day when non sexual nudity was still allowed in a PG film (although there was more shot in the "love shop" which got hacked to bits to keep the PG rating and it shows as the sequence doesn't make a lot of sense).

Whispering Ghosts (1942) - Milton Berle is miscast as a radio star/mystery solver forced to go to the scene of an old crime to solve a long unsolved murder. And while often in watching old movies you have to be able to accept that there were some unpleasant/repugnant attitudes of the time, here Berle's acerbic delivery combined with the period's treatment of minorities leads to a pretty unfortunate and unwatchable relationship between Berle and his assistant, played by Willie Best.

47 Ronin (2013) - A weird mixed up story; part historical story and part utter fantasy version of the tale of the 47 Ronin.  You can tell that Keanu Reeves (somewhat moronic) romance plot exists primarily to try and make the film appeal to western audiences where the tale of samurai remaining true to their duty to their master despite his death (and the likelihood of their own death).  It wasn't a bad film - the villains are quite hiss-able, but I can't help but feel there was a better film in here.

The Phantom of Crestwood (1932) - A woman who has been "friendly" with several business men decides its time to "retire" from the life of entertaining; to do so she decides to blackmail three men - including banker Priam Andes - at a gathering at a ritzy ranch home of the Andes family.  Also there are Priam's sister, his son and his son's fiance - who happens to be the blackmailer's sister.  Also there are the blackmailer's maid, the blackmailed men's wives and a mysterious guest who seems to have an interest in the blackmailer.  Pretty good who dunnit that plays pretty fair with the clues and manages to be interesting throughout.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I used to love Logan's Run when I was a kid. And had a huge crush on Michael York. :lol:

"Open Grave" - the end wasn't as good as the start (became a bit predictable), but for an indie thriller/horror I found it a fair film. Kinda creepy, good conflict set up between the hapless characters, and some decent performances.