Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Man of Steel - Huh.  It had some good parts.  In fact the whole Krypton stuff at the beginning had me thinking this was going to be a great movie.  At some point I got increasingly worried about the property damage.  I wish they had spent more time with him wandering around aimlessly.  I guess I'd rate it about 7/10 or something.  

• Like 1

Re-watched Monsters vs Aliens (very fun movie, IMO) and Pacific Rim (I enjoyed it but felt this time around that the human stories vs giant battles wasn't balanced exactly right).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Ender's Game. I don't know if it's true, but I remember being told that it was written by and 13 year old and that it was amazing. I think it looks exactly like something written by a 13 year old. You get tired of Ender as the axis of everything after 5 minutes by the way. Harrison Ford mostly just does his trademark smirk, then a predictable twist and were done. I'm glad it's not a book in a series.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Wow Gorgon, I've never seen you be that wrong about something. Not the opinion but the facts - Ender's Game is part of a universe that shares about a dozen books if I recall.

I wasn't a fan of the book, never continued reading the series. I found Ender to be something of a Mary Sue.

Maybe Gorgon is thinking about Eragon?  That was written by a 13 year old and they made it into a forgettable movie.

edit:  The book was not predictable at all.  I knew that was going to be a major problem with the movie, the preview itself gave away more than it should have.

Edited by Hurlshot

The thing with Ender's Game is that it started life as a short story, got turned into a novella, then some years later a full novel..  So it was fairly easy to trim it back to being a screenplay suitable for a film.

There's what, three books as such that make up Ender's trilogy, and then the rest of the books focus on the other characters don't they? Bean's perspective and what happened on Earth after the war and such like.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well, I haven't seen it yet, but in the days of future past, I will have seen The Desolation of Smaug and fallen again for Evangeline Lilly, who looks to be the bestest looking, most ass-kickinest elven archer in Middle-earth yet. Check out the new trailer on TV ... her character is going to make Legolas and Haldir (rest his soul) look like cub scouts at archery camp. :devil:  

All Stop. On Screen.

Saw Old Boy.  Interesting movie, gets a bit odd near the end.  Still does a good job of making the villain a bit sympathetic, the protagonist less so - though I was expecting the reason for the incredibly elaborate revenge scheme to be a bit different.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I love some Japanese and Korean movies, but they are often way too emotionally exaggerated for me, to the point where their characters come off as childish. I watched about half of Old Boy, but got annoyed with it for that reason.. So in this case, I'd rather see the Spike Lee remake.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

They are doing a Hollywood remake. http://screenrant.com/oldboy-2013-release-date/

Subtitles are awesome people. Get with the times, or at least try to create something rather than regurgitate. 

The Park Chan-wook film was based on a Japanese manga series, so you could argue that film was itself regurgitating.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Could argue it would be within the medium - so LOTR films aren't regurgitating the books.  I didn't really pick up on the Korean version being exaggerated emotions - some of the stuff the characters come across make it sensible.  Mi-do does seem pretty kooky, granted.

Coworker suggested I watch I Saw the Devil, next, so I guess that is the target.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The thing with Ender's Game is that it started life as a short story, got turned into a novella, then some years later a full novel..  So it was fairly easy to trim it back to being a screenplay suitable for a film.

There's what, three books as such that make up Ender's trilogy, and then the rest of the books focus on the other characters don't they? Bean's perspective and what happened on Earth after the war and such like.

It's actually a little complicated sorting out the Ender series. After Ender's Game the series split into two parallel series, both entirely different genres to the original and each other (one was a drama with Mormon overtones and the other was a kind of Bourne trilogy/Tom Clancy hybrid), and although I haven't read the later ones, both of those series wrapped up their main threads and seemed set to converge again after the third or fourth book in each set. There were also a bunch of one-offs and short stories. It grew into quite a franchise. 

Could argue it would within the medium - so LOTR films aren't regurgitating the books. 

The whole "regurgitating" argument is rooted in the idea that remaking a FL film is somehow unoriginal.  Which is also - arguably - true of any adaption from any other media including filmic ones.

IMO, it whether something is a remake, an adaption, a retread or a wholely new work, there are a lot more important things to consider when regarding the merit/lack of merit when viewing the film than whether it started out as another film (or book or tv show or...)

I saw Las Vegas over the weekend in preparation for my own old guy trip to Vegas in January

I liked it more than I thought I would and laughed way more than I thought I would. Problem is I'm not sure if the move was actually that good or just my low expectations going in made it seem better than it was

Free games updated 3/4/21

John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness

Amazing considering the budget the movie had. Very good soundtrack as well.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Hunger Games 2- Continues the excellence. It's a nearly 2 and a half hour movie yet I wanted it to continue. That's a great sign. The 'ending' was lame though. Not quite as unexpectedly good as HG1 though. Lawrence is perfect in the role. 8.5/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Watched Death Race 2. A mediocre action flick. Watch it once, then forget about it.

Somehow I ended up watching all of the death race movies one weekend.  It was really only enjoyable because the actors seemed like they were having a ton of fun.