Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

As long as they don't have a ninja among their ranks that keeps beating you up in cutscenes. Yeah, I'm not over Kai Leng yet.

That had to be one of the worst design decisions ever in a video game.  No matter how badly you wiped the floor with him, as soon as the cutscene plays it's as if he was kicking your butt.  Talk about immersion breaking.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Was it "immersion breaking" or a "slap in the face", though. :p

It definitely sucked, I'm just objecting to the use of that other buzzword to describe it. What was Gaider's (or was it Alan's) dictionary explanation fir that term, again? :D

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

As long as they don't have a ninja among their ranks that keeps beating you up in cutscenes. Yeah, I'm not over Kai Leng yet.

That had to be one of the worst design decisions ever in a video game.  No matter how badly you wiped the floor with him, as soon as the cutscene plays it's as if he was kicking your butt.  Talk about immersion breaking.

Cutscene nonsense was way worse in Twitcher 2 and Desu Ex.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The Kai Leng battles weren't fun but bosses appearing weaker or more powerful during cutscenes is in no way a first or unusual. 

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 2

The Kai Leng battles weren't fun but bosses appearing weaker or more powerful during cutscenes is in no way a first or unusual.

It's not unique to BioWare no, though I can't say I ever find it good design. That said, Kai Leng just felt like it was dropped in the game because it was one writer's darling, even though it didn't fit at all and his presence hijacked the narrative. While Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2 narratives had many problems, I don't remember something like that happening, and Kai Leng received some pretty negative feedback (only partially overshadowed by the ending debacle), so I'm confident BioWare won't make that mistake again.

Also, given I haven't really commented on the gameplay shown yet.. surprisingly it looks okay? I'll need to see a lot more and possibly get to play the title before judging, but at the very least it looks like they've taken the feedback to heart. On the other hand, there are also signs that they might be trying to please all crowds at once: I'm still not sure how dodge rolls and the overhead camera will mix together.

I liked what I saw in the PAX video. The Isocam is back which is great and it looks improved even from DAO. I liked the 2 handed attack animation, which has some significant weight behind it, but also isn't comically slow as in DAO. There seem to be a lot of options and skills for controlling the battlefield, like the ice wall and other traps. I also like the more deliberate pace of the fighting. I like how Cassandra had a special dash skill that she could use to close in on enemies. 

I'm a bit wary of the roll mechanic if it is necessary to avoid powerful enemy attacks that can significantly alter the balance of a combat engagement. If I have to constantly switch back and forth between my fighter and other characters just to avoid attacks, I think it might get annoying. There were some elements of this in DA2, and it didn't add that much to the game and I did find it cumbersome. How much of combat is number crunching in the background and how much is it action-based? Will there be attacks that my character will defend/avoid/save/ against due to numbers and also attacks that I have to actively avoid? How will I be able to tell the difference? I'm curious.

It's not unique to BioWare no, though I can't say I ever find it good design. That said, Kai Leng just felt like it was dropped in the game because it was one writer's darling, even though it didn't fit at all and his presence hijacked the narrative. While Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2 narratives had many problems, I don't remember something like that happening, and Kai Leng received some pretty negative feedback (only partially overshadowed by the ending debacle), so I'm confident BioWare won't make that mistake again.

Also, given I haven't really commented on the gameplay shown yet.. surprisingly it looks okay? I'll need to see a lot more and possibly get to play the title before judging, but at the very least it looks like they've taken the feedback to heart. On the other hand, there are also signs that they might be trying to please all crowds at once: I'm still not sure how dodge rolls and the overhead camera will mix together.

Kai Leng specifically didn't bother so much as the fact that ME3 had three figures who rotated into and out of the "main villain (or avatar thereof)"  slot depending on circumstances (Kai Leng, Elusive Man, Starchild.)  This was only a slight improvement over ME2, which had none.  ME1 was the ideal here with Saren, who was both a great proxy voice for the Reapers and also a relatable mirror of Shepard who had reasons and motivations that were at least not completely obscure or crazy.

• Like 3

Y'all miss the memo about Dragon Age Keep? If they are willing to set up something like that, "default" should play a considerably smaller part in the future than it has.

Hadn't forgotten, but I'd question how many people would use it. The 'default' character set ups for both DA and ME (ie human male fighter/ soldier) saw far more usage than custom ones, and that process is actually integrated into the game seamlessly. The keep will get used by die hard fans and people who want to play through 7 times with different characters just to make sure they hate the game, and I think it's a good idea, but I don't see the typical player using it much to generate different 'backgrounds'.

The idea behind the default world state is that it's used by people who don't care much about what happened in previous games. It reduces the number of cameos and special mentions in the game. If you've never met Alistair, what does it matter to you that he's King? Presumably there are players who never touched DA:O and have no interest in whether Morrigan is a mother or not.

There's a difference between the default character and the default world state.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The way it was presented was especially bad.  A lot of games do use that sort of thing, but they don't seem as apparently absurd as the Kai Leng one.  The only other BioWare game that has a similar (and didn't seem to me as annoying) sequence was in KOTOR with your first actual fight with Malak, where even if you're beating him up the cutscene shows him "freeze" you and run away.  But even that didn't have the over the top "Haha I'm beating you like a stepchild!" vibe that the Kai Leng one did.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Ahh, the terrible boss fights and boss cutscenes in Mass Effect 3. This is one of my favorite circlewhatsits. No sarcasm, I could read people criticizing it for hours.

At a certain point I just took it as assumed that everyone silently agreed not to do those things anymore about the early 2000s. But that's the problem with silent agreements, not everyone hears about it.

The EVA fight in particular reminded me of the second boss fight in a D&D game I was in a few years back. It was the guy's first time DM'ing, not counting the around 3 sessions that preceeded this specific fight. It's the first time he actually started deviating from the module he was working out of, trying to add his own flavor to the game. We were standing around whacking at the boss with it doing absolutely no damage. And then in shows up is DMPC who does something awesometm, then proceeds to win the encounter without us contributing anything meaningful. That comparison is exactly what I mean when I say "amateur."

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The EVA fight in particular reminded me of the second boss fight in a D&D game I was in a few years back. It was the guy's first time DM'ing, not counting the around 3 sessions that preceeded this specific fight. It's the first time he actually started deviating from the module he was working out of, trying to add his own flavor to the game. We were standing around whacking at the boss with it doing absolutely no damage. And then in shows up is DMPC who does something awesometm, then proceeds to win the encounter without us contributing anything meaningful. That comparison is exactly what I mean when I say "amateur."

i remember doing that, as a DM, when i was 10.  i learned my lesson that the players were not as big a fan of this form of deus ex as i was :)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

IGN is describing DA3 as "a medieval far cry 3"

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

IGN is describing DA3 as "a medieval far cry 3"

Blood Dragon DLC confirmed!
  • Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

entrerix, on 04 Sept 2013 - 7:27 PM, said:IGN is describing DA3 as "a medieval far cry 3"

But were they LITERALLY blown away???? Is Dragon Age 3 THE Citizen Kane of video games???

**** Citizen Kane and **** all those people that are using it as a goal who don't even know why Citizen Kane was relevant to film. Hint: "its not because its a good movie."

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

entrerix, on 04 Sept 2013 - 7:27 PM, said:IGN is describing DA3 as "a medieval far cry 3"

But were they LITERALLY blown away???? Is Dragon Age 3 THE Citizen Kane of video games???

**** Citizen Kane and **** all those people that are using it as a goal who don't even know why Citizen Kane was relevant to film. Hint: "its not because its a good movie."

Having never seen the film, why is it note worthy?

• Like 1

Doom is really the Citizen Kane of gaming.

DA3 will hopefully be the Back to the Future 3 of gaming.  They both have horses.

So it's getting a rating of 7.3 on IMDb?

Wait, are the comparisons to Skyrim/Witcher bad as comparisons, or just bad because that means DA3 would be a Skyrim/Witcher clone?

Edited by Tick

Having never seen the film, why is it note worthy?

Its one of those films that are relevant to film students because it first used many of the shots, camera angles and generally filmography techniques that became commonplace after. The film is kind of like the Aristotle of films in that Aristotle defined the scientific method for all generations to use, but instead using visual language.

But as for being entertained I particularly wasn't, I can appreciate the value of the film but it kind of requires one of those weird mindsets when you're in the mood for something dry serious.

Hopefully Ametep will pop in soon and answer your question way better than I can.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif