it was surprising to see user-made content. how does it work, actually? very interesting and refreshing to see something like that in an online game, Cryptic will score brownie points with me if it's implemented half as good as I am expecting

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

it was surprising to see user-made content. how does it work, actually? very interesting and refreshing to see something like that in an online game, Cryptic will score brownie points with me if it's implemented half as good as I am expecting

They have usermade content in STO as well if I remember correctly. Kinda had to - community pressured them a lot since CoH had the mission architect.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

When you hit level 15 you unlock the foundry.  The foundry is like many mod tool kits, it allows you to make full adventures.  It includes many, if not all, of the assets from the game.  You can script conversations, encounters, etc.  Then the adventures are made available to the public via the in-game job boards.  I don't know what the approval process for adventures is like, if there is one, since I'm yet to finish making an adventure.  It's a really cool feature, and, frankly, all games should do it.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Tried the Cleric. It's definitely easy, at least those starter quests. I haven't used a potion or healing fire at all, compared to the Fighter. Her healing seems to be fairly minimal on herself vs on allies but ranged+a bit of AoE + a bit of healing is potent early on. Also, don't have to deal with clunky melee interface.

I noticed the basic treasure chests seem to respawn if you just hang out in the zone area instead of leaving. Handy for collecting healing pots, early materials and such. Don't know if the respawn is timer based or distance-away based, or if it continues past the easy early stuff. Not that many besides me would have the patience to take advantage of it, but works for me. Heheh.

Edit: seems to be timer based. Had one respawn w/sparklies while just standing in front of it. Kewl.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tried it for an hour last night. And by 'tried' I mean I messed around with character creation for over three-quarters of an hour, and actually played for less than fifteen minutes.

Character creation is pretty good. Some unnecessarily fiddly stuff (I mean fingernail length? Really?) but overall pretty robust without being too ridiculous - could get the appearance I had in mind for myself, mostly, though the end result was a bit more babyfaced rather than the angular look I was shooting for. Certainly beats out easily the two other recentish MMOs I've tried in this regard, TOR and GW2, though for the former at least I had the luck to have one preset face be mostly what I look for. So yeah, that took 45 minutes despite coming in with very much a firm idea for both character background and appearance, it's not like I was just staring at the screen being unable to come up with a character concept.

The gameplay ....eugh. I've only taken three quests so far, and by the time they presented the "fetch nine arrows" one I decided to call it a night. I'll try again, maybe create the second character, but I can't say there's anything promising about it.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

When you hit level 15 you unlock the foundry.  The foundry is like many mod tool kits, it allows you to make full adventures.  It includes many, if not all, of the assets from the game.  You can script conversations, encounters, etc.  Then the adventures are made available to the public via the in-game job boards.  I don't know what the approval process for adventures is like, if there is one, since I'm yet to finish making an adventure.  It's a really cool feature, and, frankly, all games should do it.

Access to it will be pay though after launch if I am not mistaken.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

The gameplay ....eugh. I've only taken three quests so far, and by the time they presented the "fetch nine arrows" one I decided to call it a night. I'll try again, maybe create the second character, but I can't say there's anything promising about it.

It gets better after the tutorial.  There are, of course, fetch quests and such, but they're dressed up better.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Even the first real quest after you get to the town is better than those tutorial quests. At least in terms of action.

General chest respawn timer: about 5 minutes. The things that require kits respawn too, but those take more like 40-60 minutes or something outlandish. At least I have 30 minor healing pots, 20 nature kits, a few of the other kits, better armor, etc. for my Cleric now. Off to the tunnel quest.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Fair enough. I started as a rogue - indeed a thief, so I'm a bit irritated that the game insists I'm a trickster - as I always do, and don't like the idea of being helpful to the poor saps when I'm really there to rob them. :sorcerer: I'll make a fighter of as-yet unknown type tonight, my other character archetype. Character creation should be easy for me since most games I will start twice with these two characters and minimal variation, but that's not the really the case. I'm assuming there's no multiclassing here right?

P.S. Are the class prefixes, e.g. Trickster, Guardian, etc, actually official D&D subclasses/kits/whatever, or just descriptors used in this game?

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Got to that Blacklake quest and there are way too many people all competing for the same little things. MMO's....maybe it's better at 3am.

Got to that Blacklake quest and there are way too many people all competing for the same little things. MMO's....maybe it's better at 3am.

Hah, I used to have a group of guys I played Asheron's Call with, and we would meet at like 4 AM to run through these dungeons when they were empty.  It was a very different time, that's for sure.

And once an MMO has been out for a while there is no soul in sight when you do these ;)

And once an MMO has been out for a while there is no soul in sight when you do these ;)

Yup...that's usually when I start to enjoy the MMO more. ;)

I don't mind some people running around, of course, but that was crazy. Heh.

Finding people is a bit problematic. You need to type "nickname@accountnick" at social part. Characters with long names and surnames prove some frustaration...

I kinda like the game (duh its free :D) playing as a dwarven great weapon fighter (fire the guys named this, now!)  and get to lvl 12 but havent found or seen any weapon for class other than greatswords. Are there any on higher lvls/dungeon drops? If not I'll be wildly dissapointed...

Also anyone saw any of Faeruns celebrities? Since we are in Neverwinter I think we may be seeing Drizzt, Entreri or Dahlia.

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

How do you even do the "@" in the game? For me it's Alt Gr + 2, but every time I press Alt Gr it jumps off from social screen.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

How do you even do the "@" in the game? For me it's Alt Gr + 2, but every time I press Alt Gr it jumps off from social screen.

Meh, then you'll have to type it outside the game and copy/paste it :(

Or join the chat channel, then I can see your info there and post your complete name here (if you aren't sure what your handle is) for people to add you (you know the "In soviet russia you didn't add friends, friends added you" line...)

Edited by melkathi

Hah, I used to have a group of guys I played Asheron's Call with, and we would meet at like 4 AM to run through these dungeons when they were empty.  It was a very different time, that's for sure.

Yeesh, that brings back memories. I had a girlfriend of the time present me a copy of Asheron's Call back in the day so we could game together on there. For years that was the only "AC" I knew...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

4am there on the US west coast is pretty much prime gaming time in Australia so yeah. :p

Still haven't really played the game, though I had another bash at the character creation. Struggling to get eyes the way I want them, be it for female or male. God I feel so superficial.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Reached level 21 yesterday before calling it a night. At level 20 I gained access to a mount but unfortunately, after 20 levels of looting everything that didn't get out of my way, I still only have around 2.5 gold pieces and mounts cost 5 gold. :( And now it takes 6 hours for my mercenary to perform 1 job, so that's really slowed to a crawl.

Does the game open up more at some point? I do like the dungeon instances and whatnot - altho they're pretty linear - but so far, following the main questline at least, it all feels very closed in. Do we get to wander giant open areas, exploring etc. later, or is it all "go to this small dungeon instanced zone for a quest" and "go to this small outdoor public area" to do quests? Since there are mounts, I'm assuming one has to travel more at some point...

As much as I joked about constantly running in WoW, I did like its sense of open exploration/wandering, in terms of feeling like it was a huge, connected world. I'm not getting that from NVO yet.

I'm about lvl12 I think...going to try to stick with it until I can get a companion at least.

Reached level 21 yesterday before calling it a night. At level 20 I gained access to a mount but unfortunately, after 20 levels of looting everything that didn't get out of my way, I still only have around 2.5 gold pieces and mounts cost 5 gold. :( And now it takes 6 hours for my mercenary to perform 1 job, so that's really slowed to a crawl.

afaik, you can get a mount for deity coins (or w/e they're called), just don't forget to pray to your god every hour or so and you'll accumulate enough coins for a horsie in no time

holy crap, that sounds awesome, I'll check it out tomorrow since I just hit lv 15 this evening!

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I kinda like the game (duh its free :D) playing as a dwarven great weapon fighter (fire the guys named this, now!)  and get to lvl 12 but havent found or seen any weapon for class other than greatswords. Are there any on higher lvls/dungeon drops? If not I'll be wildly dissapointed...

I have a feeling each class is pretty stuck in weapon choice at the moment. I saw a video of a lvl50 Great Fighter and he still had a giant sword on his back. The official wiki only lists armor crafting, not weapon, so if that's correct, you can't make your own weapons either. Everything I've seen indicates my Cleric is going to always use those religious tokens or whatever they are ... no maces etc. Don't know if that'll change later or if the Foundry allows one to do/create other things.

Also anyone saw any of Faeruns celebrities? Since we are in Neverwinter I think we may be seeing Drizzt, Entreri or Dahlia.

Nope, but I did see Chewbacca the cat. :lol:

There are axes for great weapon fighters, guardian fighters, and even trickster rogues, but they're very few and extremely far between.  Hopefully that's something that's rectified in the future.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸