I added all of you, at least I think I did, let me know if you got it

Yep, accepted friend invite.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I was interested but the lack of classes/races options turned me away, could anyone appease/confirm my concerns?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I was interested but the lack of classes/races options turned me away, could anyone appease/confirm my concerns?

As far as races go, there are 7 at the moment, that's more than many MMOs that have been around for years, much less still in beta.  They will be adding at least 1 more.  As far as classes go, yeah they're limited at the moment.  They will add more in the future.  I don't know how many more, but I imagine at the very least some kind of archer and another mage type.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

As far as races go, there are 7 at the moment, that's more than many MMOs that have been around for years, much less still in beta.  They will be adding at least 1 more.  As far as classes go, yeah they're limited at the moment.  They will add more in the future.  I don't know how many more, but I imagine at the very least some kind of archer and another mage type.

What about the grinding? I know that a lot of Free MMO (pay to win) are unbalanced purposefully in order to encourage sales. I usually just leave when I have to grind for a week just to get up one level.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I made a character on the Mindflayer server earlier (didn't play, just made the chr and am standing by the beach campfire). Max high graphic settings makes my GPU run a bit warm. It's an argument for a liquid cooled GPU next time. :lol:

Minor question:

Is only two character slots a "beta" limit or is having more character slots one of the micro-transactions? 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Minor question:

Is only two character slots a "beta" limit or is having more character slots one of the micro-transactions? 

In Champions Online additional character slots are a micro-transaction with one character slot being gained in-game each time you reach max level on a character (I think I am at 22 char slots right now, one of the guys is trying to reah 100). I suppose it will not be friendlier in NWO.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Made the fighter type, who apparently is limited to giant sword-envy 2H weapons? Not sure I like the fighter styling or available chr. classes much.

GUI - why is mouse cursor/click disabled when in-game and only enabled once I've used a hotkey to open a panel?  eg, I can't zoom in/out the corner minimap without opening the inventory/character sheet or something else?

Early tutorial leveling seems to be like Diablo3, where skills are given to you automatically? Maybe higher level skills are made/bought/whatever?

Got my "peasant town clothes" and some newb quest then quit. I dunno...it looks fair and I'm sure once you play a while you can get into it, but it's all so "busy..." I'm too tired to check it out properly.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

For anyone who's played both -- how does this compare to D&D Online? I liked the approach Turbine took with that game quite a bit and thought they did a decent job at capturing that "D&D feeling" and translating the 3E rules into an MMO environment.

Also, for the purpose of pure speculation, how do you guys think Neverwinter will effect DDO? I think DDO is probably doing a lot better than Star Wars Galaxies was when it was taken offline as a result of TOR's release, but it's still pretty much a direct competitor of Neverwinter, isn't it?

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

GUI - why is mouse cursor/click disabled when in-game and only enabled once I've used a hotkey to open a panel?  eg, I can't zoom in/out the corner minimap without opening the inventory/character sheet or something else?

The Alt button toggles the mouse cursor.

Early tutorial leveling seems to be like Diablo3, where skills are given to you automatically? Maybe higher level skills are made/bought/whatever?

I don't remember any skills being automatically assigned. Press "C" to open your character sheet and you will see the tabs to assign Powers and Feats.

@LadyCrimson - There is nothing to really choose early on, as far as character progression goes, but that changes after level 5.  Since you're also playing a great weapon fighter, I can make you some armor.  Add me (@keyrock42) to your friend list and send me a tell if we're on at the same time, and I'll see what I can make for you.

I'm level 29 now, at level 30 I get to choose a paragon path to follow, I think.  I'm pretty excited.  :biggrin:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Yeah I pretty much hate the way the camera and movement works.  I prefer to hold down a mouse button to get the free look, and have a set camera as the default.  I suppose I'll get used to it.

I don't see this as a real direct competitor for DDO, at least not any more than any other fantasy MMO would be.  First off I think DDO pretty much has their customer base locked in at this point, they aren't really attracting new people but they have enough of a loyal base to support the game.  Secondly they are in very different worlds.  And third, NWO operates very loosely with the rules, whereas DDO is a closer D&D experience.  

For anyone who's played both -- how does this compare to D&D Online? I liked the approach Turbine took with that game quite a bit and thought they did a decent job at capturing that "D&D feeling" and translating the 3E rules into an MMO environment.

Also, for the purpose of pure speculation, how do you guys think Neverwinter will effect DDO? I think DDO is probably doing a lot better than Star Wars Galaxies was when it was taken offline as a result of TOR's release, but it's still pretty much a direct competitor of Neverwinter, isn't it?

Neverwinter is basically DDO: Dark Alliance 

EDIT- I think for the first 4 or 5 levels your skills are automatically assigned but then you get to pick after that and I think around 10 or so you start to get feat points. Every 10 levels you also get more stat points. 

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Still level 26 because after playing for a while I got the urge to go play DDO for a while. The problem with that is that DDO occasionally crashes my video card for some reason... I should probably look into that but I most likely won't and just switch back to Neverwinter

Free games updated 3/4/21

I don't remember it doing that. I think the prompts tell me to use the Alt button for a lot of things, lol. I'll try it again later tho. Oh and I've seen people talking about the voice acting...it is pretty bad, especially that narrator/tutor helper. That's the worst. :lol:

Since I'm not sure I like the fighter ... has anyone made a Cleric? Would they be ok in solo combat or are they not the best for that, if you know what I mean? Some games they are, some not. Not into paladin types and not sure the thief type appeals. So mage/fighter/cleric seem to be my options to try. Guess I should find a wiki or something and do some reading. I don't like going into MMO's "cold."

I don't remember it doing that. I think the prompts tell me to use the Alt button for a lot of things, lol. I'll try it again later tho. Oh and I've seen people talking about the voice acting...it is pretty bad, especially that narrator/tutor helper. That's the worst. :lol:

Since I'm not sure I like the fighter ... has anyone made a Cleric? Would they be ok in solo combat or are they not the best for that, if you know what I mean? Some games they are, some not. Not into paladin types and not sure the thief type appeals. So mage/fighter/cleric seem to be my options to try. Guess I should find a wiki or something and do some reading. I don't like going into MMO's "cold."

Well, if you make a cleric on Mindflayer shard I can still make armor for you, since mailsmithing makes both great weapon fighter and devoted cleric armor.  :biggrin:

I haven't played a cleric yet, but I can tell you that I'm a big fan of my cleric companion.  ;)

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

It'll probably be a few days before I figure out what class I feel like progressing with or even if I want to spend much time playing at all. :)

...the companion aspect is the one thing I'm reading about that makes me grin. I could definitely go for a panther...I don't even care if it's not the sensible thing for my chr, just have to have a panther. In WoW, the whole reason I started with Hunter's is so I could have a big cat. Maybe a cleric would go well with a panther as a defender of her person? Haha.

Without the Cleric companion I would be having a much less fun time. I think Ive been spoiled by the WoW mage. In that system the mage can conjure food and water which heals and replenished mana respectively. If I got low on either I could go pop a squat behind a bush and voila, a few seconds later and I was all better.

Tried the Alt key, and that's not what I want. It toggles the mouse but it still takes you out of the game ... eg, I can't even mouse over skill descriptions in the GUI hotbar or adjust the size of the chat window on the fly. It's a minor thing I suppose but I still find it annoying.

And yeah, I remember that about WoW mages. I guess my question about playing a Cleric is does her healing work on herself or can she only cast it on other players. If the latter doesn't help you solo at all.

Combat with the Fighter feels clunky. Never like being trapped in the skill/fight animation once triggered (can't break away to back off).

How do I get a panther, besides having to be a certain level for a companion? :p

So far I have 3 silver and a healing potion costs 1 silver. Yay! ;)

Maybe this will help?  It lists Cleric's solo difficulty as "Easy", so it should be no problem.

In other news, the Lich's Lament quest in the graveyard is fantastic.  Sure, it's just a dressed up go to this location then go to this location then go to this location quest, but it's absolutely hilarious.  Bravo, Cryptic, bravo.

Edit:  Also, try the B key, it gets rid of the UI and lets you zoom in and look around.  Is that what you're looking for?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Woot!  Level 30, I'm now a paragon hero.  Unfortunately, there is only one paragon path available right now, so there's no choice in the matter, I'm a swordmaster now.  Still, the feat tree gives me a lot more choices to work with and I unlocked another profession job slot, so I can now run 3 tasks at once.

8)

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸