Bioware does Warhammer 40K

Abnett's books are pretty well layered, going beyond and behind the front lines.

My money's on starting out as part of an Inquisitor's band, then he gets knackered and you have to take it over. Corruption vs fascism. Huzzah!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Abnett is rather enjoyable, though his guardsmen have too great a life expectancy ;)

I would enjoy a game set in a hive city. You could have different origins based on the layers of the hive: a spirer fallen victim of some political intrigue, a ratskin who's tribe got slaughtered by mutants or plague zombies in the underhive...

With the number of factions in the underhive, there is so much potential. And if some smuggler brought in some xeno artifact... maybe some tyranid eggs that hatch... you could end up with a crysis that threatens the whole planet but is still at a stage where the PC and their party can be the ones dealing with it. And with 'nids, you could even give the player the choice of an unholy alliance with a cult of Tzeench that would not want the planet to fall to a hive fleet (noone ever said players are smart, right? :p )

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Warhammer is just those plastic figurines that people paint, right?  I don't really play with toys, so I don't know what the big deal is.   :fdevil:

It's better known for blatantly ripping off StarCraft!

That myth has been perpetuated so much, that there are actually people who believes it (not knowing the backstory, that Starcraft was originalled intended to be WH40K the RTS).

That being said, as much as I appreciate a lot of the work Bioware does, they just don't strike me as a "fit" for WH40K's rather grim gothic/horror style. Would they actually be able to come up with an idea for something that has no right, no good and no winning choices?

Your only choice is usually just in which horribly way you'll fail miserably and die horribly and which demon gets to gnaw on the bones of your soul for eternity (unless you are a latent psycher and gets sacrificed on the altar to the Emperor).

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Would they actually be able to come up with an idea for something that has no right, no good and no winning choices?

Though I have to wonder: would the players be up for it?

I remember PC Gamer UK going on about how terrible the ending of Spellforce was, when it was not a "You won and saved the day" one.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

That being said, as much as I appreciate a lot of the work Bioware does, they just don't strike me as a "fit" for WH40K's rather grim gothic/horror style. Would they actually be able to come up with an idea for something that has no right, no good and no winning choices?

Your only choice is usually just in which horribly way you'll fail miserably and die horribly and which demon gets to gnaw on the bones of your soul for eternity (unless you are a latent psycher and gets sacrificed on the altar to the Emperor).

ME3 and "we can do better" of course! :biggrin:

@The Eldar pic :lol:

Actually, I would rather see Obsidian do such a game some day (a secret, wet dream of mine). It would be just the thing for Chris Avellone to really let go of himself, no holds barred. Every sick and twisted thing he ever wanted to do to a character, every dream he ever wanted to crush, every despair he ever wanted to inflict, every depravity etc. would be fair game and completely natural in such a setting.

• Like 6

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

So is this where I can share my WH40K art?

Because I don't truly know how Bioware would end up the setting, but I do know what you'd get if you gave it to me:

teddymarines.jpg

• Like 5

Bioware and 40K? No thanks.

I don't think they're capable of doing the setting justice.

They'll do to 40K what this DN does to this pony:

http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/3/2055/25847fa92732457cae2623dea503aa9d.png

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

You know, I like warhammer 40K as much as the next guy but the setting is really beyond stupid.

Its basically a way for westerners to enjoy role playing genocidal nazis without guilt.

The only thing it has that's really good is the appealing quasi baroque aesthetic and the undercurrent of humor that lets you know it's not taking itself quite so seriously.

Without it, in the grimdark future - there is only melodrama. And yes Mass Effect, I'm looking at you. 

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Otherwise, its:

Rogue_trader_cover.jpg

BRAKKA BRAKKA!!!!

BTW did they get someone's little brother to draw that cover

You know, I like warhammer 40K as much as the next guy but the setting is really beyond stupid.

Its basically a way for westerners to enjoy role playing genocidal nazis without guilt.

The only thing it has that's really good is the appealing quasi baroque aesthetic and the undercurrent of humor that lets you know it's not taking itself quite so seriously.

Without it, in the grimdark future - there is only melodrama. And yes Mass Effect, I'm looking at you. 

Well, it was intended as a parody. (Then GW realized that the majority of their customers actually took it seriously. Thus, grimdark was born.)

Regardless, in tabletop rpg, the setting still works quite well as a parody. Actual play report of a Paranoia-Black Crusade mashup.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

That was cover from 1987 or 1993 edition. AD&D fared no better in terms of covers back then)

Also, if you want to paint dystopia, then raindbows and rabbits are not the best option to do so/

Edited by Cultist

MzpydUh.gif

Because I don't truly know how Bioware would end up the setting, but I do know what you'd get if you gave it to me:

teddymarines.jpg

Why are they not shooting lasers from their chests? :o

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

teddymarines.jpg

Have you made a Bearhammer 40k in the Game Dev game yet?

Honey for the Honey God?  :wowey:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

teddymarines.jpg

I wish you were a professional artist, this pic would be all kinds of awesome. :lol:

• Like 3

And ye, with each step that the mighty ursine Astartes take, they mutter the name of their monolithic Primarch. He who sprang forth from the planet Nutwood, to join his immortal father among the stars, and lead the crusade against the very stuff of nightmares. Mighty Christopher Robin.

May my stitching not be unwound by the hand of Tzeentch, my stuffing not rot from Nurgles plagues, my fur turn aside the fury of Khornes rage, and my button eyes remain blind to the temptations of Slaanesh. In the Emperors name, no evil shall escape the snuggling of our bolters.

• Like 7

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

i think bioware is going to be too busy making star wars and mass effect games

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

And ye, with each step that the mighty ursine Astartes take, they mutter the name of their monolithic Primarch. He who sprang forth from the planet Nutwood, to join his immortal father among the stars, and lead the crusade against the very stuff of nightmares. Mighty Christopher Robin.

May my stitching not be unwound by the hand of Tzeentch, my stuffing not rot from Nurgles plagues, my fur turn aside the fury of Khornes rage, and my button eyes remain blind to the temptations of Slaanesh. In the Emperors name, no evil shall escape the snuggling of our bolters.

That is very inspirational :)

I'm quite fond of this image:

1300697530105.jpg

• Like 7
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling