What are you playing now - the plays the thing

LadyCrimson

Got Civ V: Gods and Kings on sale on Steam. Finally got Carthage back (killin' the **** out of Rome as always,) can't stand the way the narrator (whose name I forget but he was in an episode of Doctor Who so he's cool,) mispronounces Dido, but whatever. FREE HARBOR FOR EVERY COASTAL CITY. FULL STOP. Harbors for every city starting in 4000 BC. Yes Please. Move over Liz, there's a new naval empire in town.

Hitman Absolution looks absolutely terrible even by AAAAA gaming standards, but if those killer nuns from the trailers are really in, I might eventually get it.

You know they have websites for that sort of thing, right?

Hm, tempting at that price. Wasn't all that taken with Civ V but G&K apparently was their attempt to fix things (stupid Shafer).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nintendo might have an approach that goes more towards innovation (or gimmicks) than hardware power but they aren'tthat thick, to put the equivalent of a 7 year old cpu into a new console.

But isn't that pretty much what they did with the original nintendo wii?!

Edited by Astiaks
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

The WiiU's poor performance is meant to be down to the CPU, the GPU is pretty powerful with Shader 4 style graphics, but it's not going to running games you find on the 360 and ps3 at 1080p like it was suggested before. CPU is more important for gameplay, so we might not be seeing any advancement in terms of console gameplay for a while, at least when it relies on performance.

I'm reading similar things but I find them hard to believe. Nintendo might have an approach that goes more towards innovation (or gimmicks) than hardware power but they aren't that thick, to put the equivalent of a 7 year old cpu into a new console. There seems to be a lot of deliberate misinformation around, probably organized by the competition.

Specifically, the weak CPU claim came from the developer of Metro: Last Light and here is their clarification:

http://gonintendo.co...story&id=191294

Regardless, isn't the Batman game and the new CoD running at 1080p without issues and looking as good or better than the PS3/XB version?

I think the WiiU uses half the power of the Xbox360, and that may be why the CPU isn't as powerful as we'd expect, the CPU is also said to be out-of-order, where the Xbox360's is in order execution, which makes it harder to code for, especially in terms of gameplay, but you get better performance in the things that don't need out of order execution.

I could find only rumours about 1080p on Arkham City and a few other games. I expect Trine 2 and Rayman Legends to be 1080p. Nintendo games are 720p, and I think that's most telling. Reviewers of the game have said the image they're seeing is not as crisp as 1080p. Eurogamer did comparisons screenshots of WiiU, PS3, Xbox360, and PC, and only the PC was 1080p. I would have expected a console released this year to be 1080p across the board, that's what I assumed it would be early in the year, but now I'll be surprised. Maybe it also has something to do with the tablet that the WiiU has. I'm going to need to see it for myself, or have a trusted source take it apart before I'll be confident it's rendering these games in 1080p and not just upscaling 720p.

So I've almost finished Hitman Absolution, I don't really know what to make of it.

The levels are really small, as a result the paths to the target seem limited in comparison to previous games and they just don't seem as memorable as other Hitman games. However there are still multiple ways to deal with a target. The removal of choosing your loadout hurts the game too IMO.(No more sneaking sniper rifles into locations, they are just conveniently placed) I'm also missing the newpaper clippings from BM, I thought they were a unique way of showing how you did.

Despite this I've found enjoyment in the title, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except on a 50%+ sale.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

That BG enhanced looks pretty nice, visually. It would be nice to not have to use mods to play BG in high resolution and all of that. But I don't like that I have to buy it only from their site. I'm not sure why, I just don't. Maybe I just get tired of having to register at yet another website/thingie. Wish it was on GoG. Maybe one day it will be.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The WiiU's poor performance is meant to be down to the CPU, the GPU is pretty powerful with Shader 4 style graphics, but it's not going to running games you find on the 360 and ps3 at 1080p like it was suggested before. CPU is more important for gameplay, so we might not be seeing any advancement in terms of console gameplay for a while, at least when it relies on performance.

I'm reading similar things but I find them hard to believe. Nintendo might have an approach that goes more towards innovation (or gimmicks) than hardware power but they aren't that thick, to put the equivalent of a 7 year old cpu into a new console. There seems to be a lot of deliberate misinformation around, probably organized by the competition.

Specifically, the weak CPU claim came from the developer of Metro: Last Light and here is their clarification:

Regardless, isn't the Batman game and the new CoD running at 1080p without issues and looking as good or better than the PS3/XB version?

I think the WiiU uses half the power of the Xbox360, and that may be why the CPU isn't as powerful as we'd expect, the CPU is also said to be out-of-order, where the Xbox360's is in order execution, which makes it harder to code for, especially in terms of gameplay, but you get better performance in the things that don't need out of order execution.

I could find only rumours about 1080p on Arkham City and a few other games. I expect Trine 2 and Rayman Legends to be 1080p. Nintendo games are 720p, and I think that's most telling. Reviewers of the game have said the image they're seeing is not as crisp as 1080p. Eurogamer did comparisons screenshots of WiiU, PS3, Xbox360, and PC, and only the PC was 1080p. I would have expected a console released this year to be 1080p across the board, that's what I assumed it would be early in the year, but now I'll be surprised. Maybe it also has something to do with the tablet that the WiiU has. I'm going to need to see it for myself, or have a trusted source take it apart before I'll be confident it's rendering these games in 1080p and not just upscaling 720p.

*shurg* who knows

It all comes down to games anyway, horsepower is all well and good but if the games suck its all for nothing. And on the other hand if the games are good, gamers will gobble it up regardless.

I simply find it strange that they would put something so outdated in a console they want to use to reclaim (or at least participate in) the core market. With the Wii they were doing their own thing and the hardware in the console was irrelevant for their purposes. It was also, after all the cheapest console by far.

WiiU is more expensive, more core gamer oriented (judging by the traditional controllers) - and you can't justify that without the hardware to back it up...

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

*shurg* who knows

It all comes down to games anyway, horsepower is all well and good but if the games suck its all for nothing. And on the other hand if the games are good, gamers will gobble it up regardless.

I simply find it strange that they would put something so outdated in a console they want to use to reclaim (or at least participate in) the core market. With the Wii they were doing their own thing and the hardware in the console was irrelevant for their purposes. It was also, after all the cheapest console by far.

WiiU is more expensive, more core gamer oriented (judging by the traditional controllers) - and you can't justify that without the hardware to back it up...

They're definitely trying to encourage more 3rd party developers. Ports with new content, exclusive deals. Out of order execution is going to make development of games easier.

It's not that strange when you consider the facts:

$349.99 at launch, when cost of production is highest.

A GPU that's DirectX 10 comparable.

Half the power consumption of a Xbox360.

Gamepad with a 6.2 inch touchscreen.

Given those features and the cost, more performance was probably impossible at that price. If they wanted to deliver a substantial performance increase, they'd have to raise power consumption by at least 50%, raise the price to $450, and have the touchscreen as an add on or more expensive bundle.

To put this in perspective, the high performance Intel Ivy Bridge processors use twice as much power as an entire WiiU by themselves. The WiiU has to use processors that draw as much power as the Intel processors in tablets and thin laptops, and they're not great compared to the desktop versions in terms of performance.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Really no one knows just how far the WiiU can be pushed at this point - just compare release titles for the PS3/XB and the latest games.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

That BG enhanced looks pretty nice, visually. It would be nice to not have to use mods to play BG in high resolution and all of that. But I don't like that I have to buy it only from their site. I'm not sure why, I just don't. Maybe I just get tired of having to register at yet another website/thingie. Wish it was on GoG. Maybe one day it will be.

I'm sure they would provide through all the possible outlets, if they had the choice. Fact is, they don't, so choosing the one where they don't have to give away a slice of the pie makes most sense. I'm buying three copies, anyway (pc, mac and ios).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

That BG enhanced looks pretty nice, visually.

It does? Because I just watched the first

of it, and I'm having trouble to see any difference. Okay, light effects are better but that's it.

Having bit trouble to see the point of the enchanced edition.. while it's of course nice to get a version that will most likely work better with modern pc's, but what else does it do? Adds a monk npc to the game who is voiced by Mark Meer? Yay? I just feel like they could have done more than that. Like give the graphics engine a real update.

Edited by Slinky

of it, and I'm having trouble to see any difference. Okay, light effects are better but that's it.

Having bit trouble to see the point of the enchanced edition.. while it's of course nice to get a version that will most likely work better with modern pc's, but what else does it do? Adds a monk npc to the game who is voiced by Mark Meer? Yay? I just feel like they could have done more than that. Like give the graphics engine a real update.

I think it's been rehashed here enough times, there's 3 new npcs and they did all they reasonably could without having the original assets. It really boils down to whether you consider the ease-of-use upgrades, bugfixes including previously unfixable ones and enhanced platform support (I don't think a mac bought after 2001 has been able to run BG1 natively) worth the investment. I do.

That's fine, but I don't quite understand why they couldn't make their own assets.

Just feels like a re-release with couple little improvements. Wouldn't have minded a real overhaul.

That's fine, but I don't quite understand why they couldn't make their own assets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money

I hope that helps.

Or, more seriously, this wouldn't have gotten done any other way in the reality we exist in.

Playing GK3, friend's out of town so no more SOASE:R for a while. Interface for this game is rather offputting, 3D doesn't seem that hot even for the time, but I suppose this was something from on high to the development team. Ah well, is nice to hear Curry as Gabriel again, would have been nice to have Remini as Grace but oh well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So I've almost finished Hitman Absolution, I don't really know what to make of it.

The levels are really small, as a result the paths to the target seem limited in comparison to previous games and they just don't seem as memorable as other Hitman games. However there are still multiple ways to deal with a target. The removal of choosing your loadout hurts the game too IMO.(No more sneaking sniper rifles into locations, they are just conveniently placed) I'm also missing the newpaper clippings from BM, I thought they were a unique way of showing how you did.

Despite this I've found enjoyment in the title, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except on a 50%+ sale.

Thanks for the update, I'll wait till its on special

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I think it's been rehashed here enough times, there's 3 new npcs and they did all they reasonably could without having the original assets. It really boils down to whether you consider the ease-of-use upgrades, bugfixes including previously unfixable ones and enhanced platform support (I don't think a mac bought after 2001 has been able to run BG1 natively) worth the investment. I do.

Yes, I also going to buy it. The main reason being I have never played BG1, only BG2 :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

*shurg* who knows

I DO :p, I won't break NDA though :-

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

"I wonder whether there will be romances (as if Viconia/Kivan, Skie/Eldoth/Garrick and Coran/Safana don't bring enough soap opera drama already) and how the Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity will affect them. "

I don't think they're allowed to do any writing for already exisiting characters or plots. Therefore, only roamnces will be with the new characters.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I am currently installing Sleeping Dogs, so I'll be playing that next.

John Milton