What are you playing now?

Gorth

Beaten to the punch. I was just about to quote your post on top of the previous page and ask if you still played War in the Pacific ;)

Still playing Icewind Dale. It's been so long ago that I actually forgot that Yxunomei (sp?) puts up a bit of a fight. Ah well, that's what reloads are for... :blush:

I have a game that I come back to periodically. I think it's towards the end of 1942. In Admiral's Edition there's a "December 7 start" with Japan getting a TON of extra resources to play with so they can make stronger pushes. Port Moresby was at a heck of a risk, and I believe I"m only just invading Guadalcanal now. Though I think the Indian front is more stable. So many Japanese subs off the coast of Australia too... :(

i just keep bouncing around between games, passing time until the new xcom. i hate this feeling when a game i want is only a few days or weeks away from release and thinking about it keeps me from really engaging with the games i currently am playing

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Making my way through a replay of NWN2. It's... pretty much as I remembered it. There's a fair amount of bad, a fair amount of mediocre, and small amount of good. Some individual parts are pretty cool but as a whole, it's a mess of a campaign I think. And made worse of certain design-decisions that just doesn't seem to fit the campaign at all (like having companions that you are forced to take with you).

Mainly looking forward to get through it so I can start up MotB. One thing that can be said for the NWN2 main campaign is that I think it makes MotB an even stronger campaign since you have a long history as a character which makes roleplaying a bit more interesting.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I have a game that I come back to periodically. I think it's towards the end of 1942. In Admiral's Edition there's a "December 7 start" with Japan getting a TON of extra resources to play with so they can make stronger pushes. Port Moresby was at a heck of a risk, and I believe I"m only just invading Guadalcanal now. Though I think the Indian front is more stable. So many Japanese subs off the coast of Australia too... :(

Some day I really need to sit down and play a campaign through from start to end :(

That's the correct spelling Gorth.

At least I know what to put on her grave then. Birthdate unknown, died 2012, killed by an intrepid adventurer :)

Started clearing out the severed hand. Probably one of my favourite "dungeons" of any game. It just oozes atmosphere.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

No, I have been...well, kinda. I know about the voice changer thing. But hubby's the host and he picked it up and I heard his voice be different, but I thought mine hadn't changed ... until after the freeze.

But...hm. Well, I suppose that could be it. I'll find out I guess.

Yeah, that's definitely not Axton's voice. 100% Jack there.

I think I'm getting closer to the end now. Got through the death field at Thousand Cuts, blew up a constructor and then my game crashed. :(

Still on my latest play of Neverwinter Nights 2. And still enjoying it. Only real complaint I'm having here is the non-responsive controls in character mode.

I'm surprised at how well paced it is, to be honest. Go through a dungeon or two, get back to town and get to relax. Except those stupid Orc caves, where you're running through like four or five dungeons areas before you get out of it. It's like the bleeding Deep Roads.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Still on my latest play of Neverwinter Nights 2. And still enjoying it. Only real complaint I'm having here is the non-responsive controls in character mode.

I'm surprised at how well paced it is, to be honest. Go through a dungeon or two, get back to town and get to relax. Except those stupid Orc caves, where you're running through like four or five dungeons areas before you get out of it. It's like the bleeding Deep Roads.

I think there is an exit halfway through that you can use to go back to town, but I might be wrong.

Morrowind on my netbook. It actually runs around 30PFS which is damn impressive for this little thing. I let morrowind optimizer set the view distance.

So far the impression is pretty much the same as Oblivion although not as generic.

If I finish it like this I'll replay the game with all the fancy mods.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Some day I really need to sit down and play a campaign through from start to end :(

Seems as though I patched the game at some point lol. Guess I'll have to start over :p

Yikes. Lost Prince of Wales to 6 torpedoes (Often I can save her...) and the Repulse is pretty screwed as well. I lost the USS Tennessee which is an older battleship. The Maryland and West Virginia appear to have survived (so far....) but Japan might do another attack on PH.

Still playing Icewind Dale. It's been so long ago that I actually forgot that Yxunomei (sp?) puts up a bit of a fight. Ah well, that's what reloads are for... :blush:

That fight is the only thing I have any recollections about. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I've been going back to Fallout 3 because I'm interesting in analyzing how it does things differently from New Vegas and in better understanding Bethesda's take on the Fallout franchise. Mixed thoughts of it, though I enjoy it overall, it's still a fun game (if atrociously written, for the most part). I'm actually surprised by how Bethesda got a lot of things right in it and then went on to do it wrong in Skyrim.

Nope, finished that quest and my Siren's voice was still stuck. Probably is Handsome Jack's voice, but she's stuck. :getlost: So I made another chr./twinked her out and am speed leveling her, will give her my original stuff, etc. Won't take long when you know what to do/have good gear. Pain in the butt tho.

The last two boss battles were really insane. We were lvl23 for the first (I did well on that one) and 24 for the 2nd (I died several times). We made it to the Eridium purple land area at lvl25 and stopped while I level up the new girl. And story-wise - oh my, that happened. :blink:

Just before doing those main quests we went back to The Dust to do a side quest that was rated as lvl16/trivial, but everyone there had leveled up with us to be 21-23, so...yeah. I wonder what the limits to the enemy scaling really are.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

How would you say they did it wrong in Skyrim opposed to Fallout 3?

The random encounters were a lot more interesting in Fallout 3, the quest design is also a lot better than in Skyrim too. The level of challenge is roughly the same (low for both games) but Fallout does a better job at offering a compact system design that at least offers the illusion of challenge (with stuff such as broken limbs and radiation) rather than stuff like diseases in Skyrim, which feels pretty pointless. Then again, the focus of Fallout 3 is, at least superficially, surviving, so it makes sense that they designed the system to at least make it appear like you're struggling.

How would you say they did it wrong in Skyrim opposed to Fallout 3?

I think he wanted to specialize rather than the Ace of all trades that you end up with in both Skyrim and Oblivion.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I think he wanted to specialize rather than the Ace of all trades that you end up with in both Skyrim and Oblivion.

I don't think Fallout 3 does a better job at that though. If anything, Skyrim at least forces you to specialize a little bit, while you can reasonably raise most of your skill to at the very least "very good" levels in Fallout 3. Perks also more or less work as minor bonuses and don't really feel like they help you *build* a character, with very few exceptions. You could have done worse porting SPECIAL to a first-person perspective, but also better, as New Vegas points out.

The random encounters were a lot more interesting in Fallout 3, the quest design is also a lot better than in Skyrim too. The level of challenge is roughly the same (low for both games) but Fallout does a better job at offering a compact system design that at least offers the illusion of challenge (with stuff such as broken limbs and radiation) rather than stuff like diseases in Skyrim, which feels pretty pointless. Then again, the focus of Fallout 3 is, at least superficially, surviving, so it makes sense that they designed the system to at least make it appear like you're struggling.

Yeah I see your point - I felt that the story was slightly better in Skyrim though, at least some of it. While the story in Fallout was only good imho due to the residual effects of the setting, so to speak.

But I like your point about survival, because that was exactly my beef with Fallout 3, I never really felt threatened or in any serious danger. All in all Fallout 3 to me was only good because they managed to make an interesting world - playing in that world was not as fun though.

Fortune favors the bald.

If I had to pick one thing FO3 did better than Skyrim, it's that my character was marginally less of a doormat for NPC questgivers. Yeah, a lot of the alternate options (like, y'know, blowing up the starter town) were idiotically written, but Skyrim had their one and only option frequently turn out just as idiotic, so eh.

That said, I only managed to log single digit hours into FO3 before giving up, while Skyrim nearly clocked up triple figures.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Yeah I see your point - I felt that the story was slightly better in Skyrim though, at least some of it. While the story in Fallout was only good imho due to the residual effects of the setting, so to speak.

The story in Skyrim is a boring fantasy story with a good quest (the ambassador infiltration one) that manages to retcon all the interesting lore it should have used as a basis, while Fallout 3's story is hilariously badly written, so yeah, but I wouldn't play either for the main story.