What are you playing now?

Gorth

Icewind Dale. Just finished Kresselacks Tomb and is now heading off to find the Heartstone Gem that those negligent druids lost.

I have to confess I haven't played either of the IWD. I wanted to play them recently but the general opinion about them all seemed to be same, they are an excellent Action RPG but don't have much of a narrative or interaction with your party members like BG. Is this true?

Well, there is no "canned" party banter if that is what you mean. You create your entire party of up to 6 characters yourself, mixing and matching skills and abilities to suit your style. The story itself however is IMO superior to the Bhaal spawn stuff. You just have to get used to the silence, because you (or some mates if you play multiplayer) have to roleplay the adventuring party rather than a single protagonist.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Icewind Dale. Just finished Kresselacks Tomb and is now heading off to find the Heartstone Gem that those negligent druids lost.

I have to confess I haven't played either of the IWD. I wanted to play them recently but the general opinion about them all seemed to be same, they are an excellent Action RPG but don't have much of a narrative or interaction with your party members like BG. Is this true?

Well, there is no "canned" party banter if that is what you mean. You create your entire party of up to 6 characters yourself, mixing and matching skills and abilities to suit your style. The story itself however is IMO superior to the Bhaal spawn stuff. You just have to get used to the silence, because you (or some mates if you play multiplayer) have to roleplay the adventuring party rather than a single protagonist.

Okay, thanks. I suppose I need to get them on GOG and give them a try.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Okay, thanks. I suppose I need to get them on GOG and give them a try.

I think I got them for $2.75 each or so when they had a sale a while ago. Mind you, I had already bought the original CD version, then the boxed set version, so I didn't feel too bad about getting the download version cheap. It's a price range where your biggest loss is going to be the time invested if it isn't to your liking :)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Just started Splatterhouse...MY GOD is the atmosphere sweet in this game. Some top of the line quality american gore & horror here. Gameplay is pretty mediocre though but still, this game is the true definition of the word 'sick'.

Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

The Ultima games are the only popular series of RPGs that I haven't played. Can someone give me a real estimate of how playable they are today and is it really worthwhile to play them?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I went to idle some time on Alpha Centauri.. and found that I've misplaced my Alien Crossfire disk somewhere... >_<

I shall have to conduct a comprehensive search for it....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Pathfinder RPG :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Since someone has apparently released a significant patch for System Shock 2 (and Thief 2!) yesterday I'm giving that a try to see what changes have been made.

Otherwise have been playing The Witcher 2 again. I think I've got the exact same criticisms as last time I played; it goes for Batman:AA style gameplay but doesn't have the responsiveness required for that which results in boss fights being finicky and thus artificially hard. And I still think it looks far too much like Roche turns up specifically to rescue Letho at one point.

I went to idle some time on Alpha Centauri.. and found that I've misplaced my Alien Crossfire disk somewhere... >_<

I shall have to conduct a comprehensive search for it....

Could argue you're better off this way. :p

Hey, give some love to Alpha Centauri.. and the Alien Crossfire expansion...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Borderlands 2 is starting to bore me. It doesn't help that enemies re-spawn seemingly constantly, so every time I go through an area I end up having to fight waves of enemies all over again.

The main story is pretty good, but I'm tiring of the fetch quest-esque sidequests -- yet need to do them to gain enough XP to level up for the main story missions.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Anybody here played the Chzo series? Pretty good series of freeware Adventure games made by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. I've played through 5 Days A Stranger, 7 Days A Skeptic, and Trilby's Notes, and I'm going to play 6 Days A Sacrifice in the morning.

Aside from that, played some System Shock 2 co-op with my brother, and I might actually play through the Predator campaign of AvP2 some time. Still need to play more Planescape: Torment, and maybe I'll replay Deus Ex. I get really indecisive what games to play sometimes.

Edited by Yes Man

"Well, there's many things they have forgotten sitting in their bowls. Friendship. The thrill of discovery. Love. Masturbation. The usual." -Dr. Mobius

Borderlands 2 is starting to bore me. It doesn't help that enemies re-spawn seemingly constantly, so every time I go through an area I end up having to fight waves of enemies all over again.

The main story is pretty good, but I'm tiring of the fetch quest-esque sidequests -- yet need to do them to gain enough XP to level up for the main story missions.

I feel the same about the side quests. They were never BL's strong suit. We've been finding that we only need to do a few sides between main-quest mission level jumps. The town still has oodles of exclamation points all over the place, that we're ignoring. :lol:

Haven't had too much trouble with respawn in most areas...if they respawn on your way out we just run past everything and don't try to kill 'em all again. But the city with the statues was a pain when you're trying to figure out what to do the first time and don't get to it all fast enough.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Anybody here played the Chzo series? Pretty good series of freeware Adventure games made by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. I've played through 5 Days A Stranger, 7 Days A Skeptic, and Trilby's Notes, and I'm going to play 6 Days A Sacrifice in the morning.

Thanks for the reminder. I keep forgetting that I want to try out those games of his ;)

I've played them a couple of months back. Yep, they're pretty good. I learned about 5 Days A Stranger when I was reading the TV Tropes page for Scratches. It was mentioned that the story of Scratches was similar to 5 Days A Stranger. I got curious and checked it out.

I feel the same about the side quests. They were never BL's strong suit. We've been finding that we only need to do a few sides between main-quest mission level jumps. The town still has oodles of exclamation points all over the place, that we're ignoring. :lol:

Haven't had too much trouble with respawn in most areas...if they respawn on your way out we just run past everything and don't try to kill 'em all again. But the city with the statues was a pain when you're trying to figure out what to do the first time and don't get to it all fast enough.

One area that was bad for it, especially because I didn't like the enemy type, was that underground area (forget its name) where you have to push the mine cart into a crusher. Those thresher things were annoying, especially the one that pulled you close to it. Worse, the XP you get from killing them wasn't even close to the difficulty of killing them. I'd waste ammo on that area and come away with like 47 XP or 59 XP per kill only.

On the topic of leveling up, my cousin has a different idea about what's fun than I do. He called me yesterday to suggest I join him and his group of friends in a game of BL2. But his reason for it is because his friends are really high level, and so we could level up quicker (more XP per kill at that level) by sitting back and letting them do all the killing. He was excited that he went from level 1 to level 20 in about a couple of hours playing with them, even though he missed out on the majority of the story and even though he didn't kill a sole.

Maybe it's me, but I find the whole enjoyment out of leveling up is because I actually accomplished it. He seems less interested in the journey, and more interested in the end result of having a high level character.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

...anyone try Darksiders 2 yet??...played the original an' enjoyed it fer what it be, so I's thinkin' o' grabbin' it fer shyte's & giggles...anyone??...

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

On the topic of leveling up, my cousin has a different idea about what's fun than I do. He called me yesterday to suggest I join him and his group of friends in a game of BL2. But his reason for it is because his friends are really high level, and so we could level up quicker (more XP per kill at that level) by sitting back and letting them do all the killing. He was excited that he went from level 1 to level 20 in about a couple of hours playing with them, even though he missed out on the majority of the story and even though he didn't kill a sole.

Maybe it's me, but I find the whole enjoyment out of leveling up is because I actually accomplished it. He seems less interested in the journey, and more interested in the end result of having a high level character.

i remember people doing this in diablo 2, they would just latch onto a high level char and get carried all the way to baal, levelling from 1-20 in like 10 minutes, then they would do it a few more times and hit level 50 in one afternoon. i never understood why people enjoyed skipping over most of the game...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

...anyone try Darksiders 2 yet??...played the original an' enjoyed it fer what it be, so I's thinkin' o' grabbin' it fer shyte's & giggles...anyone??...

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

It's very good. The story is kinda so-so (it's a side story that doesn't really advance the plot, and it's also not really well-paced) but the gameplay and dungeon design is very very good, art direction and music are also top-notch (you can really feel that being able to design other worlds freed the art team to be *~fabulous~*. Loot curve is somewhat shoddy, forgivable because it's not really a loot game and the other gameplay elements more than make up for it, but the title still could have used a better loot curve (more and better uniques, a few more possessed items, more interesting stat distribution in general). That said, while the itemization isn't perfect, it still allows for quite a few fun builds.

Ah, also, despite the fact that it' look that way, the shooting section actually has the shooting as optional, besides a couple of bosses that need you to use the gun to kill.