What are you playing now?

Gorth

Oblivion also felt pretty soul-less. It was technically impressive, but actual gamewise it just sucked the joy and life right out of me.

Skyrim actually had more atmosphere that engaged you in what was going on.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Oblivion holds a special place in my heart - as the worst game I've ever had the misfortune to buy. Skyrim on the other hand is competent in that ever-forgettable way and have no strong feelings about.

Don't particularly want to recall the specifics about it that raised my ire, but aside from the obvious facegen issues (which I assume is the thing that doesn't matter), there's a selection of minigames that all comprehensively fail, the notorious and ludicrous level scaling, and the repetitive nature of the gates.

That said, one thing in its favour is that the player character is, as far as I can tell, not a Chosen One in any shape or form.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I hated the main quest in Oblivion, but enjoyed some of the side quests. A few of The Brotherhood quests, and most of the Thieves Guild quests, plus some non-guild side quests were well done.

I still haven't finished Skyrim. I put it on hold after playing it for 20 hours. I will come back to it some day, but what made me quit in the first place was that it felt way to streamlined. I'm not against the idea at all, but I didn't particularly like it in Skyrim.

The enemy spawning really is annoying in Borderlands 2. It makes it difficult to "scout" an area ahead of time to plan my method of attack.

For instance, in Lynchwood when you first enter, there's a big section of track that, if you have a sniper rifle equipped, allows you to see right to the end of the track. I notice about 3 or 4 enemies walking about, so I take them out before moving on. I'm moving slowly, again using my sniper rifle to look way ahead to make sure that if there are enemies, I can see them. But at certain points, the spawns seem to just trigger and I'll have enemies popping out of doors literally on top of me.

So much for planning my attacks. I end up just constantly back tracking, killing groups, moving forward and spawning new enemies, back track, kill group. Rinse, repeat.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I agree, some of the new zones are pretty huge too. Lynchwood, which I just reached yesterday, is pretty maze like for the quests. The boss fight with Angel with 3 players was pretty hectic, although 3 sirens does make it easier with all the CC available :p

Do you know anyone who's gotten a Gunzerker to higher levels? He's the only one with decent ammo regen capability, so one can see the potential there, but I'm having a hard time thinking I'd like his playstyle and skill vs. the other classes.

And yeah...hubby and I were thinking of using two Sirens if we make another duo. :lol: For co-op just seems like it'd be the "omg awesome" combo. But I suppose being able to lay down 4 turrets (eventually...) would be pretty wicked too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oblivion was the first RPG I fell in love with, over the years I've grown to hate it in all kinds of ways but one day I'll replay it and have a great time, with a stack of mods of course. Skyrim is a vast improvement in so many ways but I do miss the sprawling quests and dungeons of Oblivion, losing acrobatics as a skill has turned dungeons into a rat run and all the major questlines are over just a little bit too quickly.

There's also something subtle missing from Skyrim, the background lore in previous games had a strange philosophical side and genuinely made me think about things other than my quest macguffin, not that Skyrim is totally lacking in meaningful moments but on the whole it doesn't feel as satisfying from that angle, at least as a game I thought it was great, loads of fun, hundreds and hundreds of hours of it, oh well.

Currently I'm trying to play PS:T and Morrowind, real life is getting in the way of me actually being able to play them though :(

Oblivion was the first RPG I fell in love with, over the years I've grown to hate it in all kinds of ways but one day I'll replay it and have a great time, with a stack of mods of course. Skyrim is a vast improvement in so many ways but I do miss the sprawling quests and dungeons of Oblivion, losing acrobatics as a skill has turned dungeons into a rat run and all the major questlines are over just a little bit too quickly.

In terms of the ES rpg series, Morrowind was like that for me. I loved it a lot originally, for the mod tools and the open world exploring and other things, but over time it became kind of ... lacking. Oblivion didn't improve it, and then I had hopes for Skyrim, but .... I just find the ES games rather flat and boring. Beautiful, interesting and admirable in some ways, but doesn't hold my attention at all. Probably doesn't help that I never liked the combat mechanics in any of the ES games. I won't be buying any more of them.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sounds exactly like me with the ES series. I'll have some good moments early on, I'll be wowed by the scenery, but I always lose steam rather quickly. I'd love to say I won't buy anymore, but I know in a couple years when the new one comes out I'll buckle and give it a try, because it is the kind of game that should be right up my alley.

Sounds exactly like me with the ES series. I'll have some good moments early on, I'll be wowed by the scenery, but I always lose steam rather quickly. I'd love to say I won't buy anymore, but I know in a couple years when the new one comes out I'll buckle and give it a try, because it is the kind of game that should be right up my alley.

I suppose I shouldn't say "never" - but with the ES series I think I finally realized that, unless they make drastic changes to the core gameplay (which I doubt) I can't let myself get sucked in by the hype again. :lol: Might still be games that I'll try when they go on sale for $15, tho.

I've learnt to take each Bethesda game on it's own merits, so far they've all offered me something that I liked, Fallout 3 had some amazing moments if you can ignore a few hundred lines of derpy dialog. It makes me sad to think that we might not get another first person Fallout game from Obsidian though, New Vegas showed how it's meant to be done.

Fallout 3 really didn't feel anything like an ES game to me, which was nice. The setting and the use of SPECIAL were big enough to get me through the whole thing.

I was pretty blown away by it at the time, it does quite a few things better than Skyrim and the exploration was more rewarding, I don't think I've so thoroughly investigated any other gameworld, somewhere in my brain there's a wiki's worth of information about Fallout 3.

*edit*

Jesus the ending sucked though :banghead:

Edited by WDeranged

I would but I'll need to see if this is just a "flash in the pan" because I suspect all gaming will be interrupted by XCOM :p

No kidding. I finally got around to playing the demo and all it's done is left me wanting the full game more. I want to try a real mission where it's not quite so scripted.

The enemy spawning really is annoying in Borderlands 2. It makes it difficult to "scout" an area ahead of time to plan my method of attack.

For instance, in Lynchwood when you first enter, there's a big section of track that, if you have a sniper rifle equipped, allows you to see right to the end of the track. I notice about 3 or 4 enemies walking about, so I take them out before moving on. I'm moving slowly, again using my sniper rifle to look way ahead to make sure that if there are enemies, I can see them. But at certain points, the spawns seem to just trigger and I'll have enemies popping out of doors literally on top of me.

So much for planning my attacks. I end up just constantly back tracking, killing groups, moving forward and spawning new enemies, back track, kill group. Rinse, repeat.

Agreed. They need to cut back the respawns a little. A lot of the maps have big loops and the respawn rate is so quick that you can just continually run in circles, never running out of things to kill. It certainly made that "Kill 100 bandits" quest go by quicker.

I'm surprised that I'm not missing my soldier ammo regen as much as I thought I would be. I've definitely gotten low, but only rarely have I actually run out of anything except for that one time I tried using a Dahl sniper rifle. You just can't get enough sniper ammo SDUs to make those worth while. :p

No kidding. I finally got around to playing the demo and all it's done is left me wanting the full game more. I want to try a real mission where it's not quite so scripted.

I really hope it's with more cutscenes and scripting. Like the real XCOM!

Agreed. They need to cut back the respawns a little. A lot of the maps have big loops and the respawn rate is so quick that you can just continually run in circles, never running out of things to kill. It certainly made that "Kill 100 bandits" quest go by quicker.

It especially gets annoying when you've gone through a particularly taxing fight and have zero ammo, but have no chance to look for ammo because as soon as you move new enemies (often the same tough ones) re-spawn right on top of you.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I really hope it's with more cutscenes and scripting. Like the real XCOM!

I will end you.

It especially gets annoying when you've gone through a particularly taxing fight and have zero ammo, but have no chance to look for ammo because as soon as you move new enemies (often the same tough ones) re-spawn right on top of you.

I've taken to just running through areas ignoring all the enemies. Maybe toss a sentry turret down to kill them all while I get on my way.

I like the way the enemies tend to spawn on top of you like that. Makes it more interesting. I do agree about the respawn rate however. It's way too fast for how large the areas are. Makes you feel rushed all the time vs. being able to explore nooks and crannies...even increasing the respawn timer by just another 10 minutes would be helpful. I don't think the timer is actually shorter than in the first game, it's just that the areas are bigger and the fights often end up longer since there's more enemy numbers to take care of.

We finished the first playthrough at lvl 30. I found it hard to get criticals on the last boss and died a couple times trying to find a relatively "safeish" spot to work with. Wasn't too exciting, but was a much better endgame than the first Borderlands had. :) We started up playthrough2, reached Sanct, then quit. My SMG is still good for PT2, but I'm constantly close to being out of ammo, even with 1700 bullets and one of those bullet-absorb shields. I don't like how only the Gunzerker seems to have regen ammo, now...unless there are later high lvl mods/relics that give it to the other classes that I haven't seen yet(?). Ammo regen was OP'd before, but they could have toned it down instead of getting rid of it entirely for most classes.

Darksiders II

It's pretty good, but it also gets pretty boring after awhile.

Tokyo Jungle

It's a pretty simple, yet addicting survival game

Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Morrowind is weird. I got off the boat and in 2 hours I already have 2000+ gold and full plate mail gear - and I haven't even reached the first town, just walked around and raided a couple of dungeons. There are high value scrolls everywhere, a ton of gear that can be sold for a lot of cash. Even though all the NPC's in the dungeons are named all of them rush me straight away for no reason. I've freed a dozen or so slaves but none of them have anything to say, and I haven't received any compensation, or quests for that matter. Just two in the first town, none in Pelagia...

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Morrowind is weird. I got off the boat and in 2 hours I already have 2000+ gold and full plate mail gear - and I haven't even reached the first town, just walked around and raided a couple of dungeons. There are high value scrolls everywhere, a ton of gear that can be sold for a lot of cash. Even though all the NPC's in the dungeons are named all of them rush me straight away for no reason. I've freed a dozen or so slaves but none of them have anything to say, and I haven't received any compensation, or quests for that matter. Just two in the first town, none in Pelagia...

morrowindiseasytobreak.jpg

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

When I played Morrowind the last time, there must have been a bug. Everytime I rested for a few hours, some dark brotherhood dudes attacked me and I could kill him without problems. Then I looted all his stuff and got a truckton of money from it. When I arrived at the first bigger city, I was able to buy everything.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."