RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

Gorth

I just don't get the whole taking an IP and completely changing the gameplay to reboot it. It is one thing to take a currently popular title and spin it off with something different, but Syndicate was a classic strategy game. The only people who remember it are people who enjoy strategy games.

edit: It would be like taking a piece of classic poetic literature and turning it into a 3rd person action game. It sounds like a bad idea.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 3

edit: It would be like taking a piece of classic poetic literature and turning it into a 3rd person action game. It sounds like a bad idea.

I see what you did there.

I think the idea is that a game with a familiar title will always get more exposure. Even if that familiarity is with a different market. Take the new Syndicate game, if it hadn't been titled Syndicate we probably wouldn't have even noticed its passing.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

http://www.computera...le-a-dinosaurs/

With Quebec possibly seceding one day from the White Giant's **** that breastfed her so motherly all the time, soon Montreal will probably also lose it's status as "Game industry mekka", instantly reducing AAA-game business by 50%.

And that's a good thing. This industry is already so overbloated with morons and crapware that a partial collapse can only mean good things for gamers. Small to medium sized game development will hopefully experience a resurrection again. And with "small" I don't mean indie/mobile/browser crap.

But what about Dragon Age 3 then?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I just don't get the whole taking an IP and completely changing the gameplay to reboot it. It is one thing to take a currently popular title and spin it off with something different, but Syndicate was a classic strategy game. The only people who remember it are people who enjoy strategy games.

The obvious problem is that games are not literature.

The gameplay within a genre may change far more withing a decade than most form of human writing will in a century.

And I would question how much of a strategy game syndicate really was.

It's sequel and expansion were mostly about rocket-dodging IIRC.

No singleplayer-only games from EA (and her divisions, including BioWare) from now on anymore.

There goes the chance of ever playing an Obsidian developed Ultiima game.

Well...EA probably doesn't think it's stock can sink any further than it has over the past 6 years...though I think they're wrong...it can.

I'd probably be thinking of trying more ways to cater to gamers and those buying my stuff...adding incentives and other things rather than cutting off groups that could be buying my games. Either that or word it differently that in addition...all sp games will also cater to mp players by adding additional mp options.

aka fallout 3...we see how much of a failure that was...

aka fallout 3...we see how much of a failure that was...

Different game, but not a different genre.

I see what you did there.

I think the idea is that a game with a familiar title will always get more exposure. Even if that familiarity is with a different market. Take the new Syndicate game, if it hadn't been titled Syndicate we probably wouldn't have even noticed its passing.

Ironically, some people who worked on said game feel that it would have turned out a better product, and more than likely been received better had it not been attached to the franchise.

Should have been more resources on the multi-player aspect and been placed forwards as some kind of competitor to L4D, and such games, as a co-op shooter experience.

Then again it should never have been an FPS, that was certainly EA's decision.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Ironically, some people who worked on said game feel that it would have turned out a better product, and more than likely been received better had it not been attached to the franchise.

Should have been more resources on the multi-player aspect and been placed forwards as some kind of competitor to L4D, and such games, as a co-op shooter experience.

Then again it should never have been an FPS, that was certainly EA's decision.

It also needed less bloom. I can't take the game seriously after what I've seen.

Glassdoor comments on game companies

They might be all spiteful, bitter people like me but you never know.

I got a good laugh out of the LucasArt review (not so much spiteful as just funny).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

But what about Dragon Age 3 then?

What about it?

Not sure if it was a reply to the right post, but I think it's more or less confirmed to have a tacked-on cooperative multiplayer. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Not sure if it was a reply to the right post, but I think it's more or less confirmed to have a tacked-on cooperative multiplayer. :p

Dammit, I like being an anti-social git at times. I don't need no steenkin co-op in my single player games...

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Baldur's Gate had co-op and I don't think it hurt those games. But since you don't really get to create a completely personal character, I'm not sure that Baldur's Gate style will work. They'll probably only let you take control of a companion.

Company of Heroes 2 preview @Shacknews

I like what I read. Especially that extra layer of environmental dangers that will even force me to push more strategies on my aging brain.

After that, Homeworld 3 please!

The trailer is excellent. Its the only real complaint I ever had about the original CoH - that it didn't feature the main theater of WWII. I hope to god my poor pc will be able to run it.

And if we get HW3 too I can finally retire from this hobby.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Here's something unconventional:

http://www.cabrerabrothers.com/

A cyberpunk text adventure with hand drawn static pictures... If the writing is any good it could be a nice diversion. Its not like we get much cyberpunk these days anyway.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Here's something unconventional:

http://www.cabrerabrothers.com/

A cyberpunk text adventure with hand drawn static pictures... If the writing is any good it could be a nice diversion. Its not like we get much cyberpunk these days anyway.

Neosushi City.