RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

What's the plan for Dragon Age 3 btw?

$5 Steam sale.

Latest data mining shows people didn't replay it as much as Dragon Age 1. Conclusion, combat was probably too hard and needs streamlining, so it doesn't detract from the story telling.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Start of old thread

End of old thread

$5 Steam sale.

Latest data mining shows people didn't replay it as much as Dragon Age 1. Conclusion, combat was probably too hard and needs streamlining, so it doesn't detract from the story telling.

If the next game has save imports, I'm gonna have to replay them both. >_<

I still prefer DA2, the only thing DAO has going for it is that it looks old-school if I squint really hard. DA2 is at least trying, even if it fails (miserably, ymmv).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I thought the prevailing opinion was that DA2 would have been better off without its contrived respawning set-piece combat (and the singular tunnel it was set in) anyway. :p

I probably would really play it with combat totally removed actually, the writing couldn't have been any more offensive to me than DAO's was.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Start of old thread

End of old thread

$5 Steam sale.

If the next game has save imports, I'm gonna have to replay them both. >_

I still prefer DA2, the only thing DAO has going for it is that it looks old-school if I squint really hard. DA2 is at least trying, even if it fails (miserably, ymmv).

Hey, I was joking. I've never played DA2, so I wouldn't know it's replayability value. Just poking fun at the trend :)

I'm having a hard time too motivating myself for continuing The Witcher 2 with all it's hacky slashy combat. Feels no better than the combat in the DA2 demo.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I know, but I thought I'd post my honest opinion, in spite of the inevitable trolling it will lead to (mostly from people who've only played the demo, or not even that).

I thought the prevailing opinion was that DA2 would have been better off without its contrived respawning set-piece combat (and the singular tunnel it was set in) anyway. :p

Yep, just like DAO would've been better if half to 2/3 of its filler combat had been cut... Which kind of describes DA2. Also, as a (more) casual gamer with generally an hour per day for gaming (I realise that this is already quite a lot, in comparison), the pacing and the rhythm of the game are things that I've really started to value. This is something that Bioware's really improved from ME2 onwards.

Again, this is with the caveat that I played DAO (mostly) on PS3 while bedridden after some surgery and DA2 on the PC. Needless to say that the odds of this making my DA2 experience seem more favorable (better controls and framerate, not missing the camera etc. stuff that was removed from DAO PC because I never had them on the PS3 in the first place) are high.

Just read something that's also relevant to practically every discussion that happens here: "Tradition is about passing on the flame, and not the worshipping of ashes"

Edited by Nepenthe

didn't play DA2 at home, only tried it at a friends (some mid-game content, mostly revolving around that elven tribal girl). and all I can say: encounter/mission design in DA2 was utter ****e. nowhere near as good as DAO. man, the one area I really hated in DAO was that dwarven underground fortress, and whole of DA2 plays exactly like that one area... at least DAO had mildly interesting side-quests and unique encounters.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

First part is a debunked rumour, final part is of the level I hear every day at the water cooler at my own place of employment. The only new info is the EA response to what Greg is doing, ie. enjoying a nice holiday with his family after a sizeable part of his former team has been sacked. :p

Start of old thread

End of old thread

$5 Steam sale.

Honestly I don't think I care what happens with DA3. I don't think bioware is making games the match my interests anymore.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Rare to see otherwise in a preview.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

First part is a debunked rumour, final part is of the level I hear every day at the water cooler at my own place of employment. The only new info is the EA response to what Greg is doing, ie. enjoying a nice holiday with his family after a sizeable part of his former team has been sacked. :p

I think some dude from the EA deniable ops unit is en route to Greg's place now.

And the reason we all hated DA2 was:

1. Narcissism/ Hubris. Bio had such a hard-on for themselves, they sucked up their own hype. Gaider isn't George RR Martin, he needs to get over it.

2. Nor is Gaider Joss Wheedon. Don;t get me wrong, I don't like his stuff either.

3. DA:O was actually quite good. Then they went and designed the sequel using data aggregation instead of, y'know, interacting with humans.

sonsofgygax.JPG

1. Narcissism/ Hubris. Bio had such a hard-on for themselves, they sucked up their own hype. Gaider isn't George RR Martin, he needs to get over it.

2. Nor is Gaider Joss Wheedon. Don;t get me wrong, I don't like his stuff either.

3. DA:O was actually quite good. Then they went and designed the sequel using data aggregation instead of, y'know, interacting with humans.

It was rushed. As I recall, it's the first time that team's ever had to deal with a deadline of only 11 months.

It's hard to really point at anything else with that standing in the way. Hubris? Maybe, with more time, the plot problems would have been identified. Maybe the choices could have played into the endings better, instead of rushing you down 1 path. Maybe they could have finished more dungeon assets.

Or maybe they would have wasted any extra time without a deadline looming so closely.

I think the stuff they did well, we could have lived with if they hadn't buggered the rest. If the 11th hour wasn't a railroad of NPCs going insane and evil to force the plot in one direction. They could have reused dungeons, but been smarter about it instead of obviously pasted on covers on doorways that stick out. If the encounters had had a little more variety or interest beyond the spawn-in.

Other niggles could have survived and been ignored. Like the plot actually being three mostly unrelated plots that the player is, for the most part, only witnessing instead of engaging with and shaping. Or the characters not being quite as interesting, though Varric was solid.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You've actually played the game since the last time this play was enacted in the obsidian board theatre?

What I find odd is that I was going to purchase DA2 on STEAM after someone assured me it wasn't bad as all the negative commentary I'd seen, but STEAM doesn't seem to carry it. I mean, I can understand some games not using STEAM, like Diablo 3 and such, but DAO is available. Why not DA2? ...And are they planning to expand the DA franchise or is it dead or is EA going to disolve Bio or what?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Did the Templar chick with the McGuffin sword ever come down after she blasted off into space, I quit at that point and uninstalled, so I occasionally wonder if she achieved escape velocity.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Sarcastic (female) Hawke is one of the best protagonists in recent RPGs. She really made a lot of the stupid railroading palpable with her comments. A far cry from boring blocks of wood like Shepard and Geralt of Melnibon

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

"Why not DA2? ...And are they planning to expand the DA franchise or is it dead"

DA3 has all but been officially announced.

"or is EA going to disolve Bio or what? "

Only an idiot would actually believe such stupidity.

But, yeah, EA has gone around making dozens of BIO x divisions but will randomly close down a studio whose games sell 2-3mil+. L0LZ

Internet spammers = ALWAYS WORTHY OF LAUGHING AT

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, Vol, to be fair I haven't been following games as much over the past year or two.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Valve changed their Terms of Sale to exclude 3rd party dlc handling between the releases of DAO and DA2 which is why DA2 ain't on there. As such it was Valve's decision as if it was EA's they would/ could have pulled everything off of steam, and DA2 is available at most other vendors eg below.

Gamersgate is selling DA2 cheapish at the moment if really keen on it, though it's been and no doubt will be cheaper.

Valve changed their Terms of Sale to exclude 3rd party dlc handling between the releases of DAO and DA2 which is why DA2 ain't on there. As such it was Valve's decision as if it was EA's they would/ could have pulled everything off of steam, and DA2 is available at most other vendors eg below.

Gamersgate is selling DA2 cheapish at the moment if really keen on it, though it's been and no doubt will be cheaper.

Makes sense given how... finnicky the DA DLC is to install with Steam.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.