RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Always like a game where you can kill in neat ways. Wonder what kind of challenge the PC will face though, powers of a deity there.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Otherwise Titanic would be one of the greatest movies ever made (hint: It's not)"

It is.

P.S. I never claimed the OC was the 'best ever'; but it surely beats a host of overrated trash certain people. L0L ES SERIES L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

lol Titanic - one of the greatest movies, you're kidding

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It is hard to win an argument with Volourn when you confuse personal taste with actual facts. Volo is correct, Titanic is one of the greatest movies. It doesn't just have the sales figures, it has critical praise, a stable of awards, and is immensely popular.

As for the NWN argument, we've had that one enough for the regulars to know this is a fruitless endeavor.

I've already ordered Dishonored, but I am a bit concerned by that video. I just hope I can use those abilities to avoid combat just as often, the player came off as a psychopath in the video.

Odd thing to be concerned by, and not really a revelation based on the two playthroughs they released earlier But you can sneak around and kill your targets with not much collateral, as they showed.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've already ordered Dishonored, but I am a bit concerned by that video. I just hope I can use those abilities to avoid combat just as often, the player came off as a psychopath in the video.

If you know Arkane games then you also know that there's always a trade-off for using any particular power. If the whole game was a press-button-to-win parody like they exhibited in that trailer to lure the unskilled and rather lazy-minded console-gamers on board, it certainly would be *my* last Arkane game. But I have faith in those guys, they're cool.

it's not in NFR (http://en.wikipedia....l_Film_Registry) therefore it's not "one of the greatest".

Not sure if serious, but if you notice there is actually only one film from 1997 on that list, and none after 97. So Titanic (1997 release) is barely at the point where it would really be considered. It did win 11 academy awards, so your argument is pretty shaky here.

Glad to hear about the pacifist playthroughs in Dishonored. I still plan on getting it on day 1.

it's not in NFR (http://en.wikipedia....l_Film_Registry) therefore it's not "one of the greatest".

Not sure if serious, but if you notice there is actually only one film from 1997 on that list, and none after 97. So Titanic (1997 release) is barely at the point where it would really be considered. It did win 11 academy awards, so your argument is pretty shaky here.

Glad to hear about the pacifist playthroughs in Dishonored. I still plan on getting it on day 1.

Kubrick only won one academy award and it was for "special effects". That's how meaningless those trinkets are.

• Like 1

Kubrick only won one academy award and it was for "special effects". That's how meaningless those trinkets are.

So basically you guys are saying a film can be incredibly profitable, receive great reviews from critics, appeal to a widely diverse audience from ages 8 to 80, and garner a ton awards, but that doesn't make it a great movie?

I know it's trendy to hate on stuff that's popular, but we've reached the point of absurdity.

Just saying academy awards are meaningless - if those pompous snobs that do the voting don't like you(as in Kubrick's case) you'll never win an award. It's the type movie that appeals to masses of females, much in the way of the comic book movies that appeals to the 18-40 male demographic.

but if you notice there is actually only one film from 1997 on that list, and none after 97. So Titanic (1997 release) is barely at the point where it would really be considered.

Toy Story and Fargo are on it, 'nuff said. the movie has to be 10 years old to be considered. so Titanic's been eligible for 5 years already.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I believe the decline of Bio began when they sold themselves to Elevation Partners, not EA. It all became about money grabbing then.

I disagree- Bioware has never been about 'artistic integrity' for its own benefit, it's always been about money. They've made hard nosed business decisions like cutting off Interplay and produced utter tripe (NWN OC) without any input from anyone at EA/ EP.

Almost everyone in business wants to make money, it's a matter of where you place your priorities, and from following what they said about starting to make "event games" and trying to appeal to a huge audience and similar quotes around the EP purchase, combined with the fact that's when they started to make crap games, I draw the conclusion that that was the breaking point. Also you normally wouldn't sell your company unless your goal is now to cash in.

If they really wanted to cash in they'd have quit by now. They'd probably have quit as soon as contractually allowed to do so.

On the other point, both KOTOR and Jade Empire were attempts to go with more mass market 'event gaming' types, and they were both well prior to EP. There's pretty much a direct line from the more trad RPGs to them, and to the Mass Effects. It's unfair to push stuff that was clearly decided upon by people at Bioware (like the ME3 ending) onto EA and even things like TOR being an MMO rather than a genuine K3 must have happened at the very least with LucasArts approval even if it weren't suggested by/ a condition imposed by them.

EA can be blamed for some stuff like MP in ME3 or Origin (if it floats your boat) but that's comparatively minor. Even DA2's short dev time was at least partly because Bioware took so long to make DAO.

• Like 1

I believe the decline of Bio began when they sold themselves to Elevation Partners, not EA. It all became about money grabbing then.

I disagree- Bioware has never been about 'artistic integrity' for its own benefit, it's always been about money. They've made hard nosed business decisions like cutting off Interplay and produced utter tripe (NWN OC) without any input from anyone at EA/ EP.

Almost everyone in business wants to make money, it's a matter of where you place your priorities, and from following what they said about starting to make "event games" and trying to appeal to a huge audience and similar quotes around the EP purchase, combined with the fact that's when they started to make crap games, I draw the conclusion that that was the breaking point. Also you normally wouldn't sell your company unless your goal is now to cash in.

If they really wanted to cash in they'd have quit by now. They'd probably have quit as soon as contractually allowed to do so.

On the other point, both KOTOR and Jade Empire were attempts to go with more mass market 'event gaming' types, and they were both well prior to EP. There's pretty much a direct line from the more trad RPGs to them, and to the Mass Effects. It's unfair to push stuff that was clearly decided upon by people at Bioware (like the ME3 ending) onto EA and even things like TOR being an MMO rather than a genuine K3 must have happened at the very least with LucasArts approval even if it weren't suggested by/ a condition imposed by them.

EA can be blamed for some stuff like MP in ME3 or Origin (if it floats your boat) but that's comparatively minor. Even DA2's short dev time was at least partly because Bioware took so long to make DAO.

Well, I certainly didn't mean to imply it's anyone's fault other than Bio, the owners were the ones wanting to cash in. KOTOR is a very high quality game, regardless of target audience, Jade less so, and after that it's just one naked money grab after another.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I don't anyone to tell me if Titanic is a great or crappy movie. I watched it. It's a fantastic movie. The sex scene alone is worth ********** !

"P.S. By the way Titanic doesn't appeal to everyone, only to 14-17 year old chicks who went mad when the movie came out if you don't remember"

Not enough 14-17 year old girls in the world to power a movie into a billion+ dollars grab. Nor was it 4-17 year old girls voting for the Academy Awards or writing professional reviews of it either.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Otherwise Titanic would be one of the greatest movies ever made (hint: It's not)"

It is.

P.S. I never claimed the OC was the 'best ever'; but it surely beats a host of overrated trash certain people. L0L ES SERIES L0L

You aren't accustomed to losing much...are you.

I wasn't referring to OC anyways...I was referring to your comment over AP.

I would agree OC beats a LOT of stuff out there. That's not where you lost. You lost on your AP claim.

Plus...partly teasing you about it just for fun.

Seriously though.

OC isn't the best ever...but definately not the worst by FAR. I think that's common ground we can both stand on. I know many didn't, I liked OC...

But AP...that was absolutely awesome. I think it may turn out to be one of those cult classic video games...ones that have a small rabid fanbase, but over the years can make a big cry of how awesome it is.