RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Good point about it causing hassles if scenes need to be changed and such. Not sure about the pacing being negatively affected by voice acting.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Voice acting works, but some games could benefit from no voice acting. Wasteland 2, Dead state and Shadow Run doesn't need VA. I'd rather see lots of choice given to the player. It all depends on budget. The Elder Scrolls games does not suffer from having VA, because they have a big budget. (Insert joke about one voice actor casting 5642265 characters.)

Eh, voice acting was a major part of Baldur's Gate etc, already. Personally think that the "3d" games like Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect and Dragon Ages really need to be fully voiced. OTOH, partially voiced is a lot less jarring, possibly even better, in isometric BG/IWD type games. Still I did a minor fistpump when Trent Oster said they'd do their utmost to get David Warner as Irenicus and Cummins as Minsc if/when they do new material for them in either one of the games. Talk about iconic voicework.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Any game that that relies on player choice and exploration of various potential archetypes needs not be voiced, especially for the main character. Voiced is cool and all, but it takes way too much away to be worth it. I see as much choice and player definition in the character for Mass Effect and Dragon Age 2 as I saw in Binary Domain, it's just that Binary Domain is a heck of a lot shorter. They're almost like a Devil May Cry game, except you get to choose between Dante, Virgil, and Nero on a case by case basis.

I love a good action/adventure and third-person shooter. I don't hold to some notion that RPGs are superior than these. But I do hold that they should have some differences. And being able to express more than just three archetypes that only differ in tone 90% of the time doesn't strike me as a valuable thing to set RPGs apart.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight

What is Steam Greenlight?

Steam Greenlight is a new system that enlists the community's help in picking some of the next games to be released on Steam. Developers post information, screenshots, and videos for their game and seek a critical mass of community support in order to get selected for distribution. Steam Greenlight also helps developers get feedback from potential customers and start creating an active community around their game as early in the development process as they like.

Valve <3

• Like 1

Interesting, but hard to think through what kind of ramifications it will have, so wait and see before cheering for Great Valve.

First I thought it would be some kind of Steam Kickstarter, which would suck, but it's not and they have an interesting idea. Not sure how it works when you go from fnished games wanting Steam launch to much more early concepts though.

Deus Ex HR movie coming

"As the millions of fans who have played the Deus Ex games for more than a decade will tell you, these games catapult you into a universe that is stimulating, engaging and relevant," Square Enix Europe president and CEO Phil Rogers commented."

Translation: We liek big moniez.

Personal note: Movie is gonna be ****.

As long as it's not the "He must destroy the system he was part of" type of movie. Well ok, that's like the first game, really.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I was just reading about Ouya and was hoping to see Obsidian being mentioned as one of the companies backing it. But no..

No Kickstarter projects, no Ouya projects (yet) and only one currently revealed game project they're working on. Obsidian really needs to show themselves more. Feargus, get to work!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Deus Ex HR movie coming

"As the millions of fans who have played the Deus Ex games for more than a decade will tell you, these games catapult you into a universe that is stimulating, engaging and relevant," Square Enix Europe president and CEO Phil Rogers commented."

Translation: We liek big moniez.

Personal note: Movie is gonna be ****.

Has a movie based off a video game ever actually turned out good? I can't think of a single one off the top of my head.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Has a movie based off a video game ever actually turned out good? I can't think of a single one off the top of my head.

Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, Street Fighter II's animated movie was superb. Mortal Kombat is well regarded, though perhaps more of a cult hit.

That's just my opinion. They all have pretty low RT scores. Top two RT scores are Final Fantasy: Spirits Within at 43% and Prince of Persia at 35%.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I liked the Prince of Persia movie a lot. Can't say if it was true to the game, but well... it was fun to watch.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The Hitman film wasn't too bad. I'd rate it up there as one of the better game-to-film adaptions.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Hitman film wasn't too bad. I'd rate it up there as one of the better game-to-film adaptions.

I wasn't a fan of the tsundere 47.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

All movie adaptions of games are ****, no exceptions. And as long as movie makers will keep ignoring the merits of games, and treat them like an inferior medium, this won't change. Thanks to the Halos and Gears of War and other angry testosterone jerk-fests that the game industry keeps feasting on, game makers and publishers alike are making pefectly sure it stays that way. Hurray!

Also, Charlize Theron owns this thread.

Edited by Morgoth