SW: The Old Republic

Hurlshort

I really don't see why Byzantine History should be at all relevant to the Inquisitor storyline.

The only things Byzantines and Sith had in common is that they were ruled by an emperor.

The Byzantines had a mass of political maneuverings, infighting, backstabbing and general fun and games going on. The Imperial Court, the Bureaucracy, the Nobility, the Soldiers, and that's only keeping to what was happening within the Empire. Take in the efforts of the Persians as neighbours... They also had the cold war and on/off border skirmishes and outright short wars over a few centuries.

Something that the Sith Inquisitor should have a good handle on. So therefore, someone with knowledge of how that sort of stuff actually happens.. is more likely to produce an interesting setup then someone who has no clue at all.

Every dark-age/medieval state has struggled with such problems.

I just don't agree that there are any similarities between those and the sith empire.

You can't just say that Byzantine Christianity is the same as Force worship and start copy-pasting.

If you really need inspiration there are plenty of modern autocracies that would make for a far better model.

Yes, but not all that many empires actually brought their name to be the common reference for sneaky, intricate, complicated maneuverings - ie; Byzantine

That's mostly a result of Crusader propaganda and a very long history.

Most western kingdoms couldn't even dream of the sophistication and organization of byzantine state and so they didn't comprehend it fully. If we were to examine 1000 years of history of say France or Britain their history has seen as much civil strife as Byzantium.

Edited by pmp10

I just don't agree that there are any similarities between those and the sith empire.

You can't just say that Byzantine Christianity is the same as Force worship and start copy-pasting.

If you really need inspiration there are plenty of modern autocracies that would make for a far better model.

I'm not saying that Byzantine = Force worship or the Sith Empire. I'm not saying that she probably cut and pasted. And I'm not saying those elements were problems, or that they were unique to the Byzantine Empire.

What I am saying is that someone who has studied the Byzantine Empire in the detail to successfully get their Masters in relation to that subject, should have a damn good background for understanding political chicanery and underhanded methods of manipulation. Which makes applying elements related to such into a fictional story much more likely to be interesting/realistic then someone who has absolutely no knowledge of those matters.

If her background had been Engineering, or Romantic Poetry of the 1800's, I don't think anyone would really expect those to influence her writing a story for a class that is meant to be smart, sneaky, underhanded and involved in the political maneuverings. But Byzantine History, that has a lot of elements that could be used as inspiration.

The Byzantine Empire did all of that in such a matter then even a millenia on , we still recognise the word Byzantine to mean sneaky, underhanded, twisty and complicated. (Okay, at least we do if we speak English, I have no idea if it's carried across like that in other languages)

That does sound like a pretty good attitude to have for Sith Inquisitors.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

is tough to recollect an empire that didn't have "a mass of political maneuverings, infighting, backstabbing and general fun and games going on." dunno. Gromnir has almost no knowledge o' star wars old republic lore beyond the bioware and obsidian games, so am not sure how much byzantium parallels the sith. *shrug* IF rebecca is a competent writer, then real life historical influences is unlikely to hurt. she gots a source o' inspiration that might not be available to the average game writer.

Yes, but not all that many empires actually brought their name to be the common reference for sneaky, intricate, complicated maneuverings - ie; Byzantine

we wouldn't read too much into the etymology of a single word in the english language.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Since thats the class Ill be playing I hope she doesnt suck. Her inspirations look interesting enough.

If there's no grey side choices for consular at launch I'll probably will be playing inquisitor too. Lightside choices for sith should be greyish, I think.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Since thats the class Ill be playing I hope she doesnt suck. Her inspirations look interesting enough.

If there's no grey side choices for consular at launch I'll probably will be playing inquisitor too. Lightside choices for sith should be greyish, I think.

Consular struck me as a healer. Youre no healer Kiro, youre a remorseless killing machine!

From what I gather, the choices you get are selfish (Dark side choice) or for the empire (Lightside Choice).

Also the consular story

was rated one of the worst stories in a pole by Bioware.

I would like to try JK, put I really don't like the wrighter of the class.

Consular struck me as a healer. Youre no healer Kiro, youre a remorseless killing machine!

Consular has a ranged dps tree like inquisitor, but instead of lightnings he'll be throwing force and rocks.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I really don't see why Byzantine History should be at all relevant to the Inquisitor storyline.

The only things Byzantines and Sith had in common is that they were ruled by an emperor.

The Byzantines had a mass of political maneuverings, infighting, backstabbing and general fun and games going on. The Imperial Court, the Bureaucracy, the Nobility, the Soldiers, and that's only keeping to what was happening within the Empire. Take in the efforts of the Persians as neighbours... They also had the cold war and on/off border skirmishes and outright short wars over a few centuries.

Something that the Sith Inquisitor should have a good handle on. So therefore, someone with knowledge of how that sort of stuff actually happens.. is more likely to produce an interesting setup then someone who has no clue at all.

1. Yes, throughout history there has obviously been other countries like Byzantium, similar in one or several ways. That does, however, not make Byzantium itself a less good source for inspiration.

2. The point is not that Byzantium = Sith Empire. The Sith Inquisitor is a character presumably acting in a "devious, usually stealthy manner". Studying a society associated with these ways, or really the image today of that society, would give a heightened understanding of how you can deserve that reputation. In the extreme case, there would have existed a real society which exactly mirrored (what we know of) the Sith Empire. However, by drawing inspiration from that source, we would have added nothing to make the Star Wars universe more colourful and interesting. To make a wider picture, you will have to expand on different aspects of the Sith Empire.

3. No one has equated Byzantine Christianity and Force worship. ;)

4. To be honest, I don't really think so myself.

That's mostly a result of Crusader propaganda and a very long history.

Most western kingdoms couldn't even dream of the sophistication and organization of byzantine state and so they didn't comprehend it fully. If we were to examine 1000 years of history of say France or Britain their history has seen as much civil strife as Byzantium.

Nobody is saying Byzantium was not sophisticated. I'd claim rather the contrary. But who is to say their hierarchical system is not complicated: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_ari...and_bureaucracy. Like stated before, there have been lots of other nations supporting an autocracy with a rigid, ritualistic, complex hierarchy. Seeing France under Louis XIV as an inspiration for the story of a Sith Inquisitor would also be interesting. The reason I think I'm more excited about Byzantium is that it lies much further from the modern collective memory, it feels more distant and exotic. What remains today is only the condensed stereotype and it's web of associations - the perfect raw material of inspiration to draw upon.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Consular has two ACs. There's the Sage, your healer/wizard, and the Shadow, your ninja class.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Here are some spoilers conserning the Revan novel and retcons by Darth_Piejs at the theforce.net

Revan is not a Sith after Malachor V battle. It even appears that Malachor is not the final battle of the Mandalorian Wars. It

Sadly it means we never got a chance to know if Kreia is Arren Kae I was hoping to see that in this book but it was just wishful thinking on my part.

That's already been proven beyond all doubt.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Christ, what was Drew thinking? "Oh hey, Chris Avellone added a lot of depth to Revan in KotOR2 through Kreia's dialogue. Instead of exploiting that, I'll just retcon it away - I can only work with one-dimensional, boring characters!"

You honestly get the feeling from reading this stuff that he didn't actually play KotOR2.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I'm less bothered by the fact that Drew Karpshyn retconned Kotor II and more by the fact that, as evidenced by the writing samples released so far, he's absolutely incapable of writing anything above "absolutely terrible" when it comes to prose.

I think he's been regressing of late. The first two ME novels were tolerable at least, but the writing in the third was at points so bad I had to skip forward because it was so painful.

All things considered, having serious misgivings about having preordered the game. Don't have the rig to run it (decently at least) and probably, with the new job, won't have the time either. But since I paid for it, I'm "pot committed" now. :ermm:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm less bothered by the fact that Drew Karpshyn retconned Kotor II and more by the fact that, as evidenced by the writing samples released so far, he's absolutely incapable of writing anything above "absolutely terrible" when it comes to prose.

An I was so exited to play the JK story, but as it turns out its your cliche good jedi kill your way to the top of the sith food chain.

IA seems to have the best story so far, especially C&C.

It's been confirmed that the early access starts 5 days prior to launch.

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111104-0

Yep, I've got two pre-orders registered, one for me and one for my wife. One is early September and one is early October, so it will be interesting to see how many days extra that gives me.