SW: The Old Republic

Hurlshort

It's been confirmed that the early access starts 5 days prior to launch.

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111104-0

Yep, I've got two pre-orders registered, one for me and one for my wife. One is early September and one is early October, so it will be interesting to see how many days extra that gives me.

Wait. All pre-orders get early access? I thought only CE pre-orders get early access.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Come to the dark side.

Bioware are unable to do dark, only insane or duchy

is not "can't."

perspective can be useful. am recalling the thread on the da:o thread on the bio boards in which we pushed hard for the biowarins to explain their definition o' "dark." the thread were predictable chaos. you see, is pretty much impossible to find a definition o' "dark" that any sizable % o' people is gonna agree 'pon. even worse, the thread made it patently obvious that a very significant % o' bio-board posters didn't want anything that genuine smacked o' dark. a great many bio fans were quite clear that they were wanting traditional (which ain't genuine traditional) heroes, villains and situations in which they could affect "perfect" happily-ever-after resolutions. those demanding cotton candy and sunshine were numerous, and they were including more than a few vocal and respected community members. Gromnir were genuinely surprised at the resistance to "dark" even w/o a clear defined definition o' dark.

bio response: da:o will be "dark, but not too dark." that is an actual quote. honest.

hope for bio dark pretty much died that day. ask self how it is possible to write dark characters and scenario w/o those characters and scenario being too dark for the candylanders looking for happily ever afters for all. if you is genuine trying to satisfy the sunshine brigade's demands, you cannot possibly write dark... regardless o' your definition o' dark. is not that bio can't write dark, but they is making a conscious effort to keeps the happily-ever-after contingent satisfied.

were quite possible the most disheartening game-board thread we ever read.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Come to the dark side.

Because romancing a Twi'lek is better than romancing a Jawa.

Or is it?

I had to look both of those races up, and its a tough call, but Im going with the Twi'lek. Those tubules are kooky but Jawa's are creepy with those mechanical eyes.

As an aside, anyone know of a picture of a Jawa where they are disrobed and you can see what the species actually looks like? Are they robots?

For my money, the best dark choices tend to be ones that are fairly justifiable. For example, in Dragon Age there is that kid that is possessed, and there is a blood mage that can open a portal so you can save him. The mom offers herself as a sacrifice in order to power the portal. Now you can sacrifice the mom to save the son, or you could even kill the kid. I thought both were dark choices without being simply evil. They both had the greater good at stake with choices that were less than ideal. Apparently there was a good choice, going to the mage's tower, but the situation seemed more urgent than making a long trek with a possessed kid to me.

So far TOR seems to be giving those choices on occasion. There is a flashpoint video aboard a ship (Esselles?) that shows the players choosing between spacing the engineering compartment to put out a bunch of fires or running around trying to put them all out (or some other lengthy task.) It makes perfect sense to sacrifice a few lives to save the rest of the ship, but it is still a pretty dark choice to make. A lot of these light/dark choices in these games that I consider difficult tend to be more about being fast and effective or being slow and careful. The 'kill this guy for fun' stuff is boring.

I wouldn't know if Bio can do 'dark' but why would they even try in the SW setting?

The worst thing that seems to happen there is blowing up planets.

o:)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I wouldn't know if Bio can do 'dark' but why would they even try in the SW setting?

No no, killing younglings. o:)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No no, killing younglings. o:)

Still my favourite KOTOR moment.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Am I the only one overwhelmed by the stalinism inherent in this discussion - how the murder of millions is just a statistic? o:)

Well, when the number of sentient beings alive in the galaxy is in the quintillions, a million is just a statistic... it's one of the few things sci-fi writers need to learn from 40k.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

were quite possible the most disheartening game-board thread we ever read.

Yeah I can imagine - it's a shame that those gamers weren't up for a mature, or should I say a realistic, approach to "evil".

Fortune favors the bald.

Am I the only one overwhelmed by the stalinism inherent in this discussion - how the murder of millions is just a statistic? :p

Nothing to do with stalinism but with the viewer distance to the tragedy.

As long as SW will refuse to show anything more drastic than frying anakin those numbers will not even have the weight of a statistic.

And I doubt such techniques work well for universe-building.

Since everybody wants to out-do the movie I imagine blowing up planets is almost common place by now.

Edited by pmp10

Am I the only one overwhelmed by the stalinism inherent in this discussion - how the murder of millions is just a statistic? :p

I'm always confused about that : I get the Red Alert reference, but did he ever say something even remotely like that in real life, or did the Red Alert crew just thought Stalin would have been the kind of guy to rip Machiavel off like that?

I remember this old Chaplin quote which works to similar effect:

"One murder makes a villain. Millions a hero. Numbers sanctify." - Monsieur Verdoux (1947)

In any case an interesting movie :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I remember this old Chaplin quote which works to similar effect:

"One murder makes a villain. Millions a hero. Numbers sanctify." - Monsieur Verdoux (1947)

In any case an interesting movie :p

Ah, that's where this maybe originated from:

"You were a hero round these parts," someone tells Monza. And then by way of clarification: "That's what they call you when you kill so many people the word murder falls short."

From Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie

10th

Am I the only one overwhelmed by the stalinism inherent in this discussion - how the murder of millions is just a statistic? :ermm:

Well, when the number of sentient beings alive in the galaxy is in the quintillions, a million is just a statistic... it's one of the few things sci-fi writers need to learn from 40k.

So in SW one million is tragedy but a trillion is a statistic? (Did anyone beside Leia give a damn about Alderaan? Guess they were used to things like that at that point.)

Something like that. I know that in the EU they have the "Massacre at Ghroman" or something (I'm spelling the planet wrong), where basically then-general Tarkin had a whole crew of tax ships, and when protesters showed up agaisnt the taxes, he just landed on them anyway.

Now given the scale of the ships, he couldn't have killed more than a thousand, but this was something that made the entire galaxy go "OH EM GEEEE GUYZ!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.