SW: The Old Republic

Hurlshort

Damnit. Now I want to play GTA III San Andreas.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

UK Gamespy preview.

BioWare's big claim that each class has a different story is also a little misleading. Sure, each class has its own companions and interactive cinematics, but questing leaves you with the impression that there are only two truly independent experiences for the Republic with some added fluff for each of the four classes. On the Republic side, for instance, Jedi Consulars and Jedi Knights share many of the same experiences on Tython; and Smugglers and Troopers share many of the same experiences on Ord Mantell. And by the time you arrive on Coruscant, most of the quests are shared anyway.

Never trust the PR machine, eh.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

UK Gamespy preview.

BioWare's big claim that each class has a different story is also a little misleading. Sure, each class has its own companions and interactive cinematics, but questing leaves you with the impression that there are only two truly independent experiences for the Republic with some added fluff for each of the four classes. On the Republic side, for instance, Jedi Consulars and Jedi Knights share many of the same experiences on Tython; and Smugglers and Troopers share many of the same experiences on Ord Mantell. And by the time you arrive on Coruscant, most of the quests are shared anyway.

Never trust the PR machine, eh.

All I can say is that there is more to it than that.

edit: After reading the article, I think they do a good job of explaining that too.

Edited by Hurlshot

Does the NDA expire on the 1st of November?

No. It probably won't expire until very close to release.

But 1st of November could be our special day. :p

Ok I just have a lot of info on the game, but I perfer to wait for the NDA to expire.

Does the NDA expire on the 1st of November?

No. It probably won't expire until very close to release.

But 1st of November could be our special day. :p

Ok I just have a lot of info on the game, but I perfer to wait for the NDA to expire.

You aren't Hurlshot and you never will be Hurlshot!

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Make sure you remind us every three days.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I am not in beta, I just don't know if its ok to say stuff about the game, don't really want to get into trouble.

But I am sure if you guys wanted to get info you would have been able to find it by now.

I am not in beta, I just don't know if its ok to say stuff about the game, don't really want to get into trouble.

But I am sure if you guys wanted to get info you would have been able to find it by now.

You are not under an NDA unless you are in the beta, or have been at one point. You will not get in trouble for posting information that has been released already.

Heh, the person who was in charge of writing the story for the Sith Inquisitor class has gone on to pick up a masters in Ancient Byzantine History. That's.. interesting.

Sith Inquisitor Interview

Rebecca Harwick was the writer for the entirety of the Sith Inquisitor. She

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Heh, the person who was in charge of writing the story for the Sith Inquisitor class has gone on to pick up a masters in Ancient Byzantine History. That's.. interesting.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

My main thought was that someone who apparently enjoyed Byzantine History - which has some very fun and twisted politics and machinations - was the principle writer for the SI. Makes me wonder how much that influenced the class storyline, and whether that's a good sign for the maniplative , political aspect of it all...

I mean, okay, not expecting huuuuge politics in an mmo, but there should be some interesting throw-ins for the Sith Inquisitor..

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My main thought was that someone who apparently enjoyed Byzantine History - which has some very fun and twisted politics and machinations - was the principle writer for the SI. Makes me wonder how much that influenced the class storyline, and whether that's a good sign for the maniplative , political aspect of it all...

I mean, okay, not expecting huuuuge politics in an mmo, but there should be some interesting throw-ins for the Sith Inquisitor..

Eh, that's probably a large stretch.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I really don't see why Byzantine History should be at all relevant to the Inquisitor storyline.

The only things Byzantines and Sith had in common is that they were ruled by an emperor.

I really don't see why Byzantine History should be at all relevant to the Inquisitor storyline.

The only things Byzantines and Sith had in common is that they were ruled by an emperor.

The Byzantines had a mass of political maneuverings, infighting, backstabbing and general fun and games going on. The Imperial Court, the Bureaucracy, the Nobility, the Soldiers, and that's only keeping to what was happening within the Empire. Take in the efforts of the Persians as neighbours... They also had the cold war and on/off border skirmishes and outright short wars over a few centuries.

Something that the Sith Inquisitor should have a good handle on. So therefore, someone with knowledge of how that sort of stuff actually happens.. is more likely to produce an interesting setup then someone who has no clue at all.

An interest in Byzantine history could at the very least give a hint regarding which direction the writer will take the story. Considering for example contemporary associations with Byzantine society, at least I get decidedly positive vibrations: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Byzantine

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

is good to hear that things has changed. we were poor when we were doing the grad school thing, but our more wealthy fellow slaves were only a bit more free than were Gromnir. no doubt the rigor and competitiveness o' the program contributed to the leverage used 'gainst us o' the oppressed.

also, we suspected from the start that the journalist had taken license with the labeling o' rebecca's degree aspirations. journalists trying t make something sound cool frequent makes 'em sound ignorant.

HA! Good Fun!

Journalists are ignorant, that's the punch line, though. :D

Also, my personal experiences don't really reflect on what's average, a master's degrees are the norm in Finland, so my take on the master's/doctorate division is purely... academic. Now, the doctoral students = slaves seems to be universal, but I'm approaching my manumission. :D

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The Byzantines had a mass of political maneuverings, infighting, backstabbing and general fun and games going on. The Imperial Court, the Bureaucracy, the Nobility, the Soldiers, and that's only keeping to what was happening within the Empire. Take in the efforts of the Persians as neighbours... They also had the cold war and on/off border skirmishes and outright short wars over a few centuries.

Something that the Sith Inquisitor should have a good handle on. So therefore, someone with knowledge of how that sort of stuff actually happens.. is more likely to produce an interesting setup then someone who has no clue at all.

is tough to recollect an empire that didn't have "a mass of political maneuverings, infighting, backstabbing and general fun and games going on." dunno. Gromnir has almost no knowledge o' star wars old republic lore beyond the bioware and obsidian games, so am not sure how much byzantium parallels the sith. *shrug* IF rebecca is a competent writer, then real life historical influences is unlikely to hurt. she gots a source o' inspiration that might not be available to the average game writer.

HA! Good Fun!

is tough to recollect an empire that didn't have "a mass of political maneuverings, infighting, backstabbing and general fun and games going on." dunno. Gromnir has almost no knowledge o' star wars old republic lore beyond the bioware and obsidian games, so am not sure how much byzantium parallels the sith. *shrug* IF rebecca is a competent writer, then real life historical influences is unlikely to hurt. she gots a source o' inspiration that might not be available to the average game writer.

Yes, but not all that many empires actually brought their name to be the common reference for sneaky, intricate, complicated maneuverings - ie; Byzantine