SW: The Old Republic

Hurlshort

I'm not lazy! The second the NDA is gone, oh the paragraphs I will write. Then promptly trim down to two sentences that convey all important details.

Slacker I demand a review in the medium of interpretive home baking.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm not lazy! The second the NDA is gone, oh the paragraphs I will write. Then promptly trim down to two sentences that convey all important details.

Slacker I demand a review in the medium of interpretive home baking.

Unfortunately the NDA still applies.

post-5477-1318880568_thumb.png

Fortune favors the bald.

I am actually bursting at the seams trying not to talk about the game with you folks. I have a ton of stuff I want to share. I'm pretty sure I'm driving my wife nuts with all the "Honey, come over here and check this out!"

On another note, Saturday she kicked me off the computer and played it herself for awhile, so that's cool. She hasn't played a game since WoW.

Where's wikileaks when we need them.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

does it have a monthly fee? or is it like guild wars?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

eh, definitely passing then. won't pay monthly fee to play video games. it costs enough to pay for internet and cable and computer gear and you know, the actual GAMES. throwing on a monthly glamour fee seems just malicious.

obviously it works for some (lots) of people, but i play too many games to justify spending so much just on one. i think i must lack the mmo mindset or something.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

eh, definitely passing then. won't pay monthly fee to play video games. it costs enough to pay for internet and cable and computer gear and you know, the actual GAMES. throwing on a monthly glamour fee seems just malicious.

obviously it works for some (lots) of people, but i play too many games to justify spending so much just on one. i think i must lack the mmo mindset or something.

I know we've talked this to death before, but the fee isn't just for giggles. The post-game support for an MMO is huge compared to a standard retail game. You are paying for stable servers, customer support, GM's, regular patches and updates, etc.

but, if that were really true, then why would WoW be making blizzard so much money. if all that money was being spent on server maintenance then the only game they've made since WoW was starcraft 2? wouldn't they be out of business by now?

im pretty sure that those monthly fees are 99% gravy for the developer.

But there's also that "free" first month you get for buying the game. So if you plan to have a serious play, you can do it for the first month then cancel it before you pay for a second...

There have been some Bioware quotes floating around about how they're looking at TOR running for a decade.. and they're already planning just what sort of serious upgrades it will need.

Such as the amount of new Planets expanding the universe over how much time... and all sorts of things

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

well, like i said ( i think) i've never paid a monthly fee for a game, so maybe they really do provide enough extra content (free dlc? lol?) that the monthly fee is worth it from a consumer perspective. then its a win win (ie buyer is happy, developer is rich.)

i don't have a problem with people who think its worth it, it's just not for me.

but yeah, if the game is supposed to be great, then im sure i could get my 50$ worth out of the free month. but then i would feel bad that i had a game i could no longer play. a $50 rental sounds too expensive to me, even if you get to rent it for a whole month.

Edited by entrerix

I am actually bursting at the seams trying not to talk about the game with you folks. I have a ton of stuff I want to share. I'm pretty sure I'm driving my wife nuts with all the "Honey, come over here and check this out!"

Is your wife covered by the NDA too? Maybe she could post something? ;)

Where's wikileaks when we need them.

Wookieleaks?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If you guys are actually curious about what's going on in the game and want some spoilers the SWTOR subreddit is full of leaks. And "Ask Me Anything" posts.

Edited by tripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

well, like i said ( i think) i've never paid a monthly fee for a game, so maybe they really do provide enough extra content (free dlc? lol?) that the monthly fee is worth it from a consumer perspective. then its a win win (ie buyer is happy, developer is rich.)

It really depends on the developer. The game I subbed the longest for was Lord of the Rings Online, and Turbine gave us a ton of free content. They would release entire new areas every 4-6 months or so. I'm not talking about expansions, they had those, these were just free content patches that expanded the game. Because of that I kept my sub for a long time, even when I wasn't playing very regularly. They also weren't rolling around in piles of cash like Blizzard, so it is important to note WoW is the exception rather than the rule.

I don't know how aggressive TOR will be about adding content, but if I run out of stuff to do, I will stop my subscription. Given that they have something like 100 hours of unique content for each class (8 total) I think it will last me a good while.

Technically I probably violated the NDA by letting her play it :p

Technically I probably violated the NDA by letting her play it :p

Joining the dark side already?... :p

Nah, I actually do find it a bit of a shame that people are violating them to the degree they do, just for some misconception of "street creds" on the internet of all things. There are probably a few games around that could have done with more open/invitational beta tests if leaks weren't a certainty.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There are three upcoming MMOs I'm interested in, and as this one comes out first, I'm slowly succumbing to the hype train. I tried not to, but I broke down and preordered it the other day.

Everything was beautiful. Nothing hurt.

Unfortunately the NDA kind of restricts actual SWTOR talk. So arguing about lore is a decent way to pass the time until that gets lifted.
The NDA applies only to testers. The rest of us can talk about it all day long.

My favourite sites:

http://www.alterswtor.com/

http://betafootage.com/

Space combat looks really disappointing.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Nah, I actually do find it a bit of a shame that people are violating them to the degree they do, just for some misconception of "street creds" on the internet of all things. There are probably a few games around that could have done with more open/invitational beta tests if leaks weren't a certainty.

Pft, shame. Useful for the rest of us :shifty:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I disagree. It's certainly not all it could be, but considering the staggering amount of work already done on SWTOR as a whole I think it's the best case scenario without pushing the game back another year or two. I'm fairly confident we'll get improved version with either patch or expansion.

I disagree. It's certainly not all it could be, but considering the staggering amount of work already done on SWTOR as a whole I think it's the best case scenario without pushing the game back another year or two. I'm fairly confident we'll get improved version with either patch or expansion.

Oh come on, it would embarrassing to even compare to Star Trek Online's space combat. It's glorified minigame totally avoid of any RPG elements. But from what I have seen that and character customization are only things where Star Trek Online is better.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Oh come on, it would embarrassing to even compare to Star Trek Online's space combat. It's glorified minigame totally avoid of any RPG elements. But from what I have seen that and character customization are only things where Star Trek Online is better.

When the Star Trek Online first came out, the space combat and they way you upgrade your ship was great. Then they changed it.