SW: The Old Republic

Hurlshort

I'm gonna be a Sith >.>

<.<

You and everyone else. But you'll be unique among them, with that particular combination of chin depth and eyebrow distance that the character generator provides.

Well, considering most of the various polls regarding class choices around on the collected TOR websites , it actually looks fairly balanced rather then everyone going for the two sith classes. Of course, that only takes into count the people paying attention to those sites and the official forums...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Im definately going to buy it but not the CE version. Where can you order it anyway? Hopefully its on Steam so I can just download it.

Origin is the exclusive DD service.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

a one-dimensional evil villain interp for kreia would be sad, but your personal retconning o' kreia reveals why this drew fellow gots 0 chance to appease fans.

btw, any bets on how long it takes for some schnook to create a darth evil/evyl/e'vl character? yet another reason we wouldn't touch this nonsense with hurlshot's computer much less our own.

HA! Good Fun!

Personal retconning? Nah, my theories are very well-supported (if not outright confirmed) by the dialogue during the final confrontation. Play it again if you don't believe me. Kreia hates the force, yes, but she knew she'd never actually be able to destroy it. She used it as a threat, to draw the Exile to Malachor.

Exile: "The academy here won't last, Kreia. I can activate the mass shadow generator again."

Kreia: "More talk of machines and threats. If you would end Malachor, then do it. But it would not be a victory for you. You may hold Malachor in your grasp, but I hold the answers to your past and future in mine. Would you destroy us both before learning them? If so, then do it - for you have already failed me."

Exile: "If I had to, I would. You have to be stopped."

Kreia: "I know. But there is more than death in this galaxy, and you shall not find it easy. It was difficult to draw you here, but it had to be done. This is your final test."

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

am not certain why you thinks the above quote precludes kreia's desire to end the force.

*shrug*

people see what they want to see. is why drew has no chance to satisfy you all.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am not certain why you thinks the above quote precludes kreia's desire to end the force.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

Oh, she'd certainly like to end the force, but the "I know I have to be stopped" makes it quite clear that she does not really intend to do it - rather, she used the threat of it to force the Exile to confront her, so that the exile's past might finally be resolved. That's the entire point of the game, really; Kreia training the exile.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

Oh, she'd certainly like to end the force, but the "I know I have to be stopped" makes it quite clear that she does not really intend to do it - rather, she used the threat of it to force the Exile to confront her, so that the exile's past might finally be resolved. That's the entire point of the game, really; Kreia training the exile.

"i know" is agreement with the exile's belief. it could even be a statement o' regret. nevertheless, you choose to ignore dozens o' other actions and comments by kreia throughout the game. hell, you choose to ignore the You Have Failed Me bit in your own quoted material. kreia is a complex character. she wants death o' the force and she loathes what she has become... and she blames the force for that as well. she sees the exile as an answer to her prayer for the dying o' the force... and possibly as a means o' redemption if her ultimate plan fails. kreia is not simply teaching the exile. she uses the exile to kill off all who she feels betrayed herself and revan. the force robs kreia o' meaningful choice. perhaps that is why in spite o' her machinations, she ultimately provides the exile with a choice.

don't try to simplify for your own benefit. your retcon is no better than the one you deride.

HA! Good Fun!

ps kreia is right up there with ravel as the bestest crpg character we has encountered. don't diminish.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"i know" is agreement with the exile's belief. it could even be a statement o' regret. nevertheless, you choose to ignore dozens o' other actions and comments by kreia throughout the game. hell, you choose to ignore the You Have Failed Me bit in your own quoted material. kreia is a complex character. she wants death o' the force and she loathes what she has become... and she blames the force for that as well. she sees the exile as an answer to her prayer for the dying o' the force... and possibly as a means o' redemption if her ultimate plan fails. kreia is not simply teaching the exile. she uses the exile to kill off all who she feels betrayed herself and revan.

don't try to simplify for your own benefit. your retcon is no better than the one you deride.

HA! Good Fun!

"You have to be stopped."

"I know."

It does not get more straightforward than that. Also, you didn't read it very carefully - she says that the exile would have already failed her if he were to destroy Malachor and kill them both before the confrontation which she had engineered as the exile's final test.

I haven't retconned anything, I'm going purely off of what Kreia says.

"It is said that the Force has a will, it has a destiny for us all. I wield it, but it uses us all, and that is abhorrent to me. Because I hate the Force. I hate that it seems to have a will, that it would control us to achieve some measure of balance, when countless lives are lost. But in you

Edited by Gromnir

"It is said that the Force has a will, it has a destiny for us all. I wield it, but it uses us all, and that is abhorrent to me. Because I hate the Force. I hate that it seems to have a will, that it would control us to achieve some measure of balance, when countless lives are lost. But in you

Edited by Gromnir

we did read. is as clear as your chosen statement

"If so, then do it - for you have already failed me."

is at least as clear as the "i know" bit that you ascribe so much weight to while ignoring 40+ game hours and innumerable lines o' dialogue from kreia that makes darn clear that she she hates the force and is pleased that the exile can end the force. the fact that she doesn't blurt out, "I Want To Kill the Force!" is your argument? fine. but don't claim that, "she makes it quite clear at the end that all her actions were intended as a sort of "final test" for the Exile." your position is based on one possibly misread statement that seems to fly in the face o' her character development through the restest o' the game. hyperbole at best. the fact that Gromnir is quite effective arguing with you makes your position suspect.

HA! Good Fun!

The "you have already failed me" is dependent on the "if so," not a separate declaration. The latter would directly contradict other lines in the same discourse, which is full of nothing but praise for the Exile and his choices up to that point.

None of what I have said "flies in the face of her character for the rest of the game." Quite the opposite - it is much more in character than a straightforward betrayal and villainous plot would be. Kreia is not a villain, not truly.

Edited by Oblarg

we did read. is as clear as your chosen statement

"If so, then do it - for you have already failed me."

is at least as clear as the "i know" bit that you ascribe so much weight to while ignoring 40+ game hours and innumerable lines o' dialogue from kreia that makes darn clear that she she hates the force and is pleased that the exile can end the force. the fact that she doesn't blurt out, "I Want To Kill the Force!" is your argument? fine. but don't claim that, "she makes it quite clear at the end that all her actions were intended as a sort of "final test" for the Exile." your position is based on one possibly misread statement that seems to fly in the face o' her character development through the restest o' the game. hyperbole at best. the fact that Gromnir is quite effective arguing with you makes your position suspect.

HA! Good Fun!

The "you have already failed me" is dependent on the "if so," not a separate declaration. The latter would directly contradict other lines in the same discourse, which is full of nothing but praise for the Exile and his choices up to that point.

None of what I have said "flies in the face of her character for the rest of the game." Quite the opposite - it is much more in character than a straightforward betrayal and villainous plot would be. Kreia is not a villain, not truly.

sure she is a villain... just not a simple one. you is gonna continue to deny regardless o' some obvious kreia development. statements to atton 'bout being a pawn. philosophy o' force when talking with exile and handmaiden. comments 'bout and to atris. ignore all the build-up to show how kreia were hating the force and the fact that the force robbed her o' meaningful choice... 'cause that were all some kinda red herring? fine. you is devoted to your interp and will not be swayed. nevertheless, the notion that kreia makes it "quite clear" that she weren't genuine trying to kill the force is clearly a suspect position. and again, 'cause this not seem to sink in, the possibility o' a final test for exile does NOT preclude the fact that kreia wants to kill the force. the exile gets the choice kreia were never having.

am not actual concerned in arguing the point... am just making it obvious that your initial statement were wrong. kreia never made quite clear, and drew reading is at least as valid as is yours. might even be as valid as Gromnir's.

HA! Good Fun!

sure she is a villain... just not a simple one. you is gonna continue to deny regardless o' some obvious kreia development. statements to atton 'bout being a pawn. philosophy o' force when talking with exile and handmaiden. comments 'bout and to atris. ignore all the build-up to show how kreia were hating the force and the fact that the force robbed her o' meaningful choice... 'cause that were all some kinda red herring? fine. you is devoted to your interp and will not be swayed. nevertheless, the notion that kreia makes it "quite clear" that she weren't genuine trying to kill the force is clearly a suspect position. and again, 'cause this not seem to sink in, the possibility o' a final test for exile does NOT preclude the fact that kreia wants to kill the force. the exile gets the choice kreia were never having.

am not actual concerned in arguing the point... am just making it obvious that your initial statement were wrong. kreia never made quite clear, and drew reading is at least as valid as is yours. might even be as valid as Gromnir's.

HA! Good Fun!

You don't have to ignore any buildup - Kreia hates the force, and she sees in the exile truth in that one can turn away from the force and become stronger for it. Her motivations for the entire game are to preserve this, and rid the galaxy of those who are blind to it (the Jedi, the Sith). Nothing more, nothing less. "I would have killed the galaxy to save you" and whatnot.

If Kreia had actually intended to kill the force, her actions at the end make no sense - she would have done it as soon as she could, not wait for the Exile to come and stop her.

HA! Good Fun!

You don't have to ignore any buildup - Kreia hates the force, and she sees in the exile truth in that one can turn away from the force and become stronger for it. Her motivations for the entire game are to preserve this, and rid the galaxy of those who are blind to it (the Jedi, the Sith). Nothing more, nothing less. "I would have killed the galaxy to save you" and whatnot.

If Kreia had actually intended to kill the force, her actions at the end make no sense - she would have done it as soon as she could, not wait for the Exile to come and stop her.

much o' the end o' kotor2 is... stoopid. keep in mind that atris were gonna be a possible final villain depending on how the game were played. kotor2 were not a coherent novel-- it were a game. obsidian games in particular typical ends messy. nevertheless, waiting for the exile is making sense if you actual follow kreia philosophy and statements throughout 40+ hours. again, the exile is getting to make a choice. why is the force abhorrent to kreia? 'cause it is an affront ot good old nietzsche will to power philosophy. am not certain why you wanna work so hard to invalidate kreia behavior for the vast majority o' the game. kreia sets up a whole scenario that can lead to the death o' the force... says she hates force and is happy that exile could kill the force, but that ain't what kreia is REALLY after? if that is the case, then your reading o' her actions is what do not make sense.

HA! Good Fun!

I haven't followed the development of this game for a good while and most of the news I've heard have been negative (like retcon of the KotOR 2 storyline). I also avoid EA's origin service. Hopefully it's possible to buy and install without origin service. If it's available from Steam and can be played in solo mode (at least untill end game), I'll probably going to buy it right away. Otherwise I'm going to skip this one.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I'm gonna be a Sith >.>

<.<

You and everyone else. But you'll be unique among them, with that particular combination of chin depth and eyebrow distance that the character generator provides.

Actually, I doubt it. Most of the kiddies will want to be Jedi. I know that in Galaxies it was like a 3-1 bias against Empire.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm gonna be a Sith >.>

<.>

Actually, I doubt it. Most of the kiddies will want to be Jedi. I know that in Galaxies it was like a 3-1 bias against Empire.

That varied server to server. My server was Empire dominant.

Also, it was the best server.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

much o' the end o' kotor2 is... stoopid. keep in mind that atris were gonna be a possible final villain depending on how the game were played. kotor2 were not a coherent novel-- it were a game. obsidian games in particular typical ends messy. nevertheless, waiting for the exile is making sense if you actual follow kreia philosophy and statements throughout 40+ hours. again, the exile is getting to make a choice. why is the force abhorrent to kreia? 'cause it is an affront ot good old nietzsche will to power philosophy. am not certain why you wanna work so hard to invalidate kreia behavior for the vast majority o' the game. kreia sets up a whole scenario that can lead to the death o' the force... says she hates force and is happy that exile could kill the force, but that ain't what kreia is REALLY after? if that is the case, then your reading o' her actions is what do not make sense.

HA! Good Fun!

When she says she sees in the exile the ability to "see the force die," she does not literally mean the ability to destroy the force. She means the ability of one to willingly sever all ties with the force, and ultimately become stronger for it. This is why she chooses the Exile. This is her motivation for the entire game - to preserve the truth she sees in this one not-quite-a-Jedi. Kreia's behavior for the "vast majority of the game" is nothing more than training the Exile, and using him to defeat those she sees as blind. It is only at very end, once those who betrayed her have been destroyed, that Kreia draws the Exile to Malachor, as the final piece of his training. She repeatedly mentions that for the Exile's training to be complete he must confront his past, and after he confronts Atris, Malachor is the one shadow in the Exile's history, the driving force behind pretty much all of the plot, that must finally be confronted and resolved. The echoes must be stopped - Kreia directly tells you this. Why do you think so much of the dialogue in the game refers to these "echoes?"

The entire point of the climax is not that you're stopping the evil villain from killing the force, it's that you're finally directly confronting this horror in the main character's past, which has been the source of pretty much all conflict in the game (Sion and Nihilus are direct products of that tragedy). This is Kreia's "final test."

Edited by Oblarg

"evil villain trying to destroy the force,"

That's EXACTLY what she is. Drew nailed her to a tea. Everything else is window dressing. And, if youa r eusing krea's words as 'proof' of anything youa r ebeyond gullible. Kreia is a liar, a snake, and cna't be trusted. Her actiosn speak louder than words. She wants to destroy the force and she wants to use the PC to do it. She falsely claims to love you but tries to kill you, abuses you, and treats you like a fool. If that's love, I surely don't want it.

Kreia is a good character but only because she's so convincing that the gullible player actually believes her lies. Kreia is one of the most evil, self cebntered, and selfish characters ever in a RPG. That's what makes her fun though.

But, pretending that she's really some deep, misunderstood anti heroine is a joke. Her pyschiological bull is just that bull. Again, believing anything Kreia says is dangerous. Afterall, her lies start from the moment you meet. Too bad the game doesn't even allow you to role-play your character so you can dump/kill her azz from the start.

"kreia is right up there with ravel as the bestest crpg character we has encountered"

Don't besmirch Ravel with that comaprison. Ravel is awesome, and Kreia is simply a wannabe with nowhere near the depth and complexity of Ravel.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

is odd how oblarg suggests that some kreia statements is clear, while at the same time he/she reads kreia statements not as they is written, but however they will fit with his theory. she didn't mean that Literally?

1) kreia hates the force-- even you admit that point. the force robbed her of choice and she were betrayed, broken and cast out.

2) "I see the potential to see the Force die" is what she says... clear language. whether you thinks that kreia plans to kill the force, the story makes clear that the exile's existence is a wound in the force that could lead to its demise. multiple characters, such as vrook, give this notion credence.

3) kreia then creates circumstances that could, depending on the actions o' the exile, lead to the death o' the force. (see above posts)

motive, means, opportunity and words that can be read as an admission. lord knows Gromnir wishes we had so easy when we were doing criminal law. nevertheless, because o' one line mentioning a fina tests in a +40 hour game, a line that not every player would even necessarily read, a line that is open to interp and can be read multiple ways, oblarg chooses to read in a manner different than the one drew has chosen to embrace-- the reading that is 'bout to become canon and had to be ok'd by somebody in lucas' organization.

fine... just don't tell us how clear it all is. heck, at least vol oversimplification don't ignore most o' the game content.

HA! Good Fun!

is odd how oblarg suggests that some kreia statements is clear, while at the same time he/she reads kreia statements not as they is written, but however they will fit with his theory. she didn't mean that Literally?

1) kreia hates the force-- even you admit that point. the force robbed her of choice and she were betrayed, broken and cast out.

2) "I see the potential to see the Force die" is what she says... clear language. whether you thinks that kreia plans to kill the force, the story makes clear that the exile's existence is a wound in the force that could lead to its demise. multiple characters, such as vrook, give this notion credence.

3) kreia then creates circumstances that could, depending on the actions o' the exile, lead to the death o' the force. (see above posts)

motive, means, opportunity and words that can be read as an admission. lord knows Gromnir wishes we had so easy when we were doing criminal law. nevertheless, because o' one line mentioning a fina tests in a +40 hour game, a line that not every player would even necessarily read, a line that is open to interp and can be read multiple ways, oblarg chooses to read in a manner different than the one drew has chosen to embrace-- the reading that is 'bout to become canon and had to be ok'd by somebody in lucas' organization.

fine... just don't tell us how clear it all is. heck, at least vol oversimplification don't ignore most o' the game content.

HA! Good Fun!

I haven't ignored "most of the game's content." Maybe you'd see that if you yourself weren't busy ignoring the content of my posts.

I haven't followed the development of this game for a good while and most of the news I've heard have been negative (like retcon of the KotOR 2 storyline). I also avoid EA's origin service. Hopefully it's possible to buy and install without origin service. If it's available from Steam and can be played in solo mode (at least untill end game), I'll probably going to buy it right away. Otherwise I'm going to skip this one.

It won't be available through Steam, but you can buy the box in a store and that should avoid Origin altogether.

Although if you are a fan of Steam, I'm not sure what your complaint is with Origin. It isn't as slick, but it's very unobtrusive.

I'm probably going with the trooper to start with. I like their B-Wing style ride.

Trooper, really? If I were to play it at all, I'd have to be a smuggler. Han Solo is my hero.