SW: The Old Republic

Hurlshort

Bastila needs to make a cameo...

you kinda get your wish. when we posted our link yesterday, we recalled seeing a familiar name on the "character" list for tor.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Satele_Shan

HA! Good Fun!

Cool I wonder if she has Jennifer Hale's voice

utilizing the most arcane methods (we googled jennifer hale and imdb) we found your answer.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0354937/

*snort*

HA! Good Fun!

Awesome, I hope she uses the English accent

Sooo... basically Jedi can do one night stands to satisfy Carnal Lusts and not have healthy relationships..

And they're supposed to be the paragons of society!?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Sooo... basically Jedi can do one night stands to satisfy Carnal Lusts and not have healthy relationships..

And they're supposed to be the paragons of society!?

It's more like they're free to date and have short flings, but if they become too attached, then feelings go askew and to the dark side it can lead. Pretty much the 3 dates, a night of passion, and then they're off. Hm, I guess they're kind of like James Bond. They get to have the girl from whichever life-threatening, risk-filled, heroic adventure they're on, and then move on to the next world and adventure...

Although, in the EU, that view ups and downs on the times. Sometimes the Jedi feel that family is good, and they're acceptable of keeping an eye on jedi offspring. Hell, even in times when family and marriage as such is a no-no, they still keep track of jedi lineages.

However, if you track the assorted things in the EU, pretty much every time a major Sith/Dark side influence has shown up and caused a furor, in the aftermath the Jedi Heirarchy starts frowning on marriage and families for jedi. Go a few centuries on, and they slacken up and let the marriages return...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Stereotypical Bond (from the Moore/ Brosnan eras, and the more silly the movie the better) is probably a good comparison to what Lucas had in mind- that or maybe Buddhist warrior monks/ tantrics. I've heard more than a few people describe Bond- and especially Book Bond- as sociopathic.

I'm pretty confident that we've already thought about it far more than Lucas has.

Stereotypical Bond (from the Moore/ Brosnan eras, and the more silly the movie the better) is probably a good comparison to what Lucas had in mind-

'cause when we think o' yoda, we immediate recollect roger moore as bond in octopussy... crashing the khan's palace with a menagerie o' circus side-show supermodels.

maybe not.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Grommy makes the internet a better place.

I'm pretty confident that we've already thought about it far more than Lucas has.

I don't know. I would guess Lucas thinks about this stuff a lot. He just changes his mind often.

Nothing wrong with that though. It's all just made-up FEPO stuff anyway.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Stereotypical Bond (from the Moore/ Brosnan eras, and the more silly the movie the better) is probably a good comparison to what Lucas had in mind- that or maybe Buddhist warrior monks/ tantrics. I've heard more than a few people describe Bond- and especially Book Bond- as sociopathic.

From what I've heard, basically Jedi are space bhuddists. (at least that's where most of their mythos/ethics come from)

Honestly, it's an idiotic code to live by overall. Particularly the entire "black and white" thing.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Grommy makes the internet a better place.

I don't know. I would guess Lucas thinks about this stuff a lot. He just changes his mind often.

Nothing wrong with that though. It's all just made-up FEPO stuff anyway.

am suspecting that the fans is perhaps more interested in maintaining some kinda imaginary integrity o' the franchise than is lucas. first movie had lucas demand that carrie fisher's chest be strapped down so as to keep sex outta his space opera. by the third movie, he had fisher parading around in a gold adorned bikini. is any number o' aspects o' star wars canon that exist simply 'cause o' the perception that their addition would make lucas' franchise more monetarily lucrative. yeah, lucas thinks 'bout this stuff lots, but am betting he is much more likely to consider the business ramifications than is the nerdlings who makes their own storm trooper armour and light sabre hilts.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Stereotypical Bond (from the Moore/ Brosnan eras, and the more silly the movie the better) is probably a good comparison to what Lucas had in mind-

'cause when we think o' yoda, we immediate recollect roger moore as bond in octopussy... crashing the khan's palace with a menagerie o' circus side-show supermodels.

Yeah, or Yoda might be equivalent to some sort of leader, I don't know, M? Or maybe not...

Yeah, or Yoda might be equivalent to some sort of leader, I don't know, M? Or maybe not...

In the book adaption of Revenge of the Sith, there was a rather good paragraph or so just after Yoda had attempted to fight Palpatine. Basically Yoda goes into self-castigating mode, because he realised he'd been a tight-ass, and spent the previous 800 years training jedi in the wrong manner, and to fight the wrong war...

yeah, lucas thinks 'bout this stuff lots, but am betting he is much more likely to consider the business ramifications than is the nerdlings who makes their own storm trooper armour and light sabre hilts.

Indeeed, I think when somone has a billion-dollar IP attached to their name that IP gets consideration on pretty much a daily basis, but as you say that consideration is much more likely to be attached to financial aspects of the IP rather than some imagined narrative/universe integrity that really serves no purpose since it's all just made-up anyway and can/should be changed at any time depending on the needs of the IP.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

so, 'stead 'o being ultra-powerful masters o' a largely autonomous, quasi-religious and mystical order o' sword wielding "peacekeepers," yoda, and smauel l. jackson is more like slightly befuddled bureaucrats, no longer capable o' working in the field themselves, who sits in an office and act exasperated when they gets reports o' their agent's behavior. am not seeing much o' the bond influence... 'least not anymore than would be in common with old errol flynn swashbucklers or american westerns.

HA! Good Fun!

so, 'stead 'o being ultra-powerful masters o' a largely autonomous, quasi-religious and mystical order o' sword wielding "peacekeepers," yoda, and smauel l. jackson is more like slightly befuddled bureaucrats, no longer capable o' working in the field themselves who sits in an office and act exasperated when they gets reports o' their agent's behavior.

Objection your honour: strawman argument.

Sex, dude. The whole Bond thing was related to how the jedi (or how GL considers the jedi to) see sex. Nothing to do with field work except as it pertained to sex and the sillier Bond's propensity for having it as often, and as casual, as possible. That's the whole point of me agreeing with Raithe's analogy so long as it was the 'sillier' ones, since the most recent Bond movie, in a fit of equally un-Bond like continuity, had him trying to avenge the squeeze who died at the end of the last one which by jedi dictates is bad bad bad.

In terms of sex Yoda most definitely appears (semi-official poster art notwithstanding) to fit the M mould of not having it, perhaps never having had it and possibly never even having thought about it except in the context of wanting Bond to stop flirting with Moneypenny.

But hey, feel free to draw as long a bow as you like from the comparison, you'll just continue to prove Jaesun right.

so, 'stead 'o being ultra-powerful masters o' a largely autonomous, quasi-religious and mystical order o' sword wielding "peacekeepers," yoda, and smauel l. jackson is more like slightly befuddled bureaucrats, no longer capable o' working in the field themselves who sits in an office and act exasperated when they gets reports o' their agent's behavior.

Objection your honour: strawman argument.

Sex, dude. The whole Bond thing was related to how the jedi (or how GL considers the jedi to) see sex. Nothing to do with field work except as it pertained to sex and the sillier Bond's propensity for having it as often, and as casual, as possible. That's the whole point of me agreeing with Raithe's analogy so long as it was the 'sillier' ones, since the most recent Bond movie, in a fit of equally un-Bond like continuity, had him trying to avenge the squeeze who died at the end of the last one which by jedi dictates is bad bad bad.

In terms of sex Yoda most definitely appears (semi-official poster art notwithstanding) to fit the M mould of not having it, perhaps never having had it and possibly never even having thought about it except in the context of wanting Bond to stop flirting with Moneypenny.

But hey, feel free to draw as long a bow as you like from the comparison, you'll just continue to prove Jaesun right.

hardly strawman. you made the comparison 'tween bond and jedi-- but you now add odd limitations. regardless, am seeing your parallel as less tenable now that you has focused. am not certain we can recall a bond film in which the protagonist did not engage in considerable seduction and at least some actual consummation. you yourself note that bond has sex more than mere frequent, no? you is genuine suggesting the the bond stuff is inspirational, but clear the behavior ain't carried over. Gromnir is hardly an expert on star wars canon, but am unable to name a single jedi that would seem to recollect bond's philandering ways. as for motivation behind bond's actions, we has been told in multiple movies that bond gots personal issues related to women 'cause o' past mistakes. his past relations has resulted in more than a few demons and regrets. he acts very emotional regarding the women with whom he has become involved. not only has his casual dalliances failed to shield him, but his painful baggage is 'sposed the reason he don't wish to be involved serious. the jedi code hardly seems a reactionary tool 'cause the jedi in question cannot exorcise old ghosts. 'kinda bass akwards.

am honestly not seeing where you goes with the yoda thing. leaders o' jedi order never have sex, and possibly is "never even having thought about it," but the rank and file jedi is hitting studiou 54 like there is no tomorrow. am certain you sees the problem with that, eh?

as for the silly jaesun comment... bad cess. by responding to you without agreeing we is somehow exhibiting a character flaw? HA! since you is fond o' identifying logic flaws, perhaps you feel like sharing which category in which to file your most recent flaw. were a horrible (and kinda pathetic) response that does not actual tarnish Gromnir's character as it does yours.

HA! Good Fun!

Look, I didn't make the comparison originally and it was never presented as being a comparison as anything other than sex (and more specifically, what GL's statement on jedi sex implied). You can take that or leave it, no skin off my nose and I'm certainly not going to treat a discussion of the sexual activities of jedi with any degree of deadly seriousness just for the nebulous award of 'winning' on the internet.

Edited by Zoraptor

I like how almost none of the discussion relates to SWTOR but instead of some general arguing about SW. Nice thread.

Tis that wandering way of threads... technically the whole "influence of Kotor 2 on TOR" was somewhere in the beginning, it wandered into some strange argument on interpretation of a character, and then the nature of jedi relationships.

Oh yes, and in TOR they have said that Jedi that do follow the "romance" route will start picking up dark side points. Not because it's strictly dark side, but because it's against the jedi code. So if you want to be a glowing, purer then pure jedi then romance is something to avoid in-game.

So if you want to be a glowing, purer then pure jedi then romance is something to avoid in-game.

You don't really think that restriction is going to last, do you? :lol:

Soon to be followed by Wookie and Jawa romance options...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

So if you want to be a glowing, purer then pure jedi then romance is something to avoid in-game.

You don't really think that restriction is going to last, do you? :lol:

Soon to be followed by Wookie and Jawa romance options...

I'm fairly sure at least two of my ex-girlfriends actually WERE jawas.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Also hard to get people to violate it in a meaningful way, the testers are too lazy to really take notes on things, I find, so just left with generalities as leaks. So just "story is good for the Imperial Agent", etc. Fah, I say!. Recalling the EVE alpha, heh, that was some comprehensive leaking, granted a whole bunch changed for beta. :(

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm not lazy! The second the NDA is gone, oh the paragraphs I will write. Then promptly trim down to two sentences that convey all important details.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Slacker. You should be sending out detailed notes on starting zones, classes, storylines, cool things to your friends and private contacts!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra