SW: The Old Republic

Hurlshort

The smuggler looks pretty awesome. Both the trooper and smuggler start on Ord Mandell, which is fantastic looking. I'm just more of a tank guy than a DPS one.

I'm sure I will play through all the storylines at least to some point.

Imperial Agent looks good for a start.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm curious on how they've been pushing the whole light/dark side for every class and making it fit into the storyline. Not that you can shift from Republic to Empire or such, but within the framework of your "side".

The jedi that goes dark, but is all about ruthlessly defending the Republic and willing to make the hard choices really too easily.. that sort of thing.

I'm tempted by the idea of running a Sith Inquisitor running along the "grey" line just to see how that will shape up.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have never seen it sufficiently explained why Jedi are constantly drawn to this side or that. Is the dark side supposed to be more powerful. There doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence to the point. I mean Palpatine took power by being smart about it, not with grease lightnin'.

One doesn't change one's whole moral foundation five times before breakfast. It rarely ever happens.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I have never seen it sufficiently explained why Jedi are constantly drawn to this side or that. Is the dark side supposed to be more powerful. There doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence to the point. I mean Palpatine took power by being smart about it, not with grease lightnin'.

One doesn't change one's whole moral foundation five times before breakfast. It rarely ever happens.

It's always been a flaw to my mind.. the Dark side is all "if you're feeling certian emotions you're tapping into a 'bad' side of energy, or it's being twisted slightly"

If you're at peace and serene and unemotional then it's all "good".

Wouldn't that mean that sociopaths who have no emotions as such would make perfect jedi? :thumbsup:

This one is easy, Jedi aren't allowed to have sex. Sex is part of the dark side.

Think the rules of religions against the debaucheries of hedonism.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

This one is easy, Jedi aren't allowed to have sex. Sex is part of the dark side.

even more important than sex is the issue o' ghey sex. does lucas embrace teh ghey? am not all that knowledgeable o' star wars canon beyond kotor 1 and kotor 2, so perhaps included in the novels and comics is frequent lesbian love scenes and athenian-style man orgies such that even john waters would blush. however, such stuff were absent from the few star wars games we has played, and we not recollect fringe sexual content in any movies or tv stuff. am only asking 'cause there is some kinda ghey critical mass at the bio boards-- for every 10 bioware threads, at least one must include a demand for more ghey romance. has the boycotts and protests begun, or is star wars bigger than ghey?

"I haven't ignored "most of the game's content." Maybe you'd see that if you yourself weren't busy ignoring the content of my posts."

sure you did. you ignored what were said and done throughout the game in favor o' a reading that makes an alternative interp o' one optional line o' dialogue at the end o' the game possible... and somehow that one line complete alters kreia motivations. try reverse. take out any one line that suggests that kreia wants to kill the force. remove any one line and it not substantial diminish kreia's apparent loathing for the will-robbing capacity o' the force, and her desire to end such subtle slavery. remove your one pivotal line and you got... nothing. even if you were correct, that woulds be horrible writing.... and it sure ain't clear.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

so jedi are catholic priests and the dark side represents sin and bodily urges.

Bingo :thumbsup:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

There's the geeky part of me that wants to play/check out this game, but after WoW I just don't want to get potentially sucked into another pay MMO.

Seen some gameplay footage and the UI/certain aspects does remind me of WoW...but WoW didn't have lightsabers.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

sure you did. you ignored what were said and done throughout the game in favor o' a reading that makes an alternative interp o' one optional line o' dialogue at the end o' the game possible...

It's not just one line, though. I've given repeated examples of how numerous other major plot points in the game don't make sense in other interpretations, and how there's a lot of build-up that points towards Malachor being the main unresolved horror in the Exile's past, and how confronting that and resolving it is the main point of the game.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

sure you did. you ignored what were said and done throughout the game in favor o' a reading that makes an alternative interp o' one optional line o' dialogue at the end o' the game possible...

I've given repeated examples of how numerous other major plot points in the game don't make sense in other interpretations, and how there's a lot of build-up that points towards Malachor being the main unresolved horror in the Exile's past, and how confronting that and resolving it is the main point of the game.

none of which in any way could be precluding kreia's Kill the Force plans.... and as already stated (and should be obvious by now) if kreia didn't genuine have any plan to kill the force, then she went through a whole lotta unnecessary subterfuge to set up circumstances that could lead to the death o' the force. kreia's actions become largely nonsensical if oblarg reading is accepted.

*shrug*

take your one line away and your house o' cards is a fail. cannot do the same by removing a single death o' the force line o' dialogue.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

none of which in any way could be precluding kreia's Kill the Force plans.... and as already stated (and should be obvious by now) if kreia didn't genuine have any plan to kill the force, then she went through a whole lotta unnecessary subterfuge to set up circumstances that could lead to the death o' the force.

Actually, she didn't go through much at all - most of her actions throughout the game were focused on eliminating the remaining Jedi and Sith, which had much more to do with the future of the galaxy than with allowing the death of the force - in fact, most of your actions during the game have absolutely nothing to do with the "death of the force" at all.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

none of which in any way could be precluding kreia's Kill the Force plans.... and as already stated (and should be obvious by now) if kreia didn't genuine have any plan to kill the force, then she went through a whole lotta unnecessary subterfuge to set up circumstances that could lead to the death o' the force.

Actually, she didn't go through much at all - most of her actions throughout the game were focused on eliminating the remaining Jedi and Sith, which had much more to do with the future of the galaxy than with allowing the death of the force - in fact, most of your actions during the game have absolutely nothing to do with the "death of the force" at all.

It certainly does since with the death of those Jedi the Exile strengthened their connection to the force, allowing for the creation of a greater wound in the force.

village_idiot.gif

well, duh. the big reveal that kreia is trying to kill the force and that the exile is a wound that can bring about the death o' the force wouldn't be much o' a reveal if it were obvious from the start.

*snort*

kreia's use o' the exile, a broken ex-jedi capable o' destroying the force, to be the instrument o' her revenge is just coincidence, right? throw in krei commentary 'bout the tyranny o' the force and her happiness at finding one capable o' killing the force... then bringing 'bout actual circumstances that could in fact destroy the force...

at this point we thinks you is being kinda willful obtuse.

HA! Good Fun!

The New Jedi Order allowed marriage. Luke himself married.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The New Jedi Order allowed marriage. Luke himself married.

In the EU it pretty much bounces back and forth. After the Hyperspace War but before the Sith Wars of Qel-Droma and Exar Kun marriage and family were fine for Jedi, then they were forbidden.. Then some point before the time of KoTOR marriage was allowed again.. It's one of those things that comes and goes pretty much depending on the mood of the Jedi Councils at the time and how they feel about the dark side and the benefits of family stability vs potential emotional anxiety...

So it's not as if it's something that's had much coherency over the millenia of story... :)

It never made sense for Jedi not being allowed to marry in the first place, since the Force runs in the family.

Only in the diseased mind of George Lucas. Crypto-fascist weirdo that he is.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

kreia's use o' the exile, a broken ex-jedi capable o' destroying the force, to be the instrument o' her revenge is just coincidence, right? throw in krei commentary 'bout the tyranny o' the force and her happiness at finding one capable o' killing the force... then bringing 'bout actual circumstances that could in fact destroy the force...

There was something I didn't quite understand in the game. In the beginning I thought her fascination with the Exile was because he was a "living" being with no force connection, defying one of the basic principles of the force, that life can't exist without the force (and the other way around). Sort of like that rare survivor of an infectionous disease with a 99.99% mortality rate from whom you can develop a vaccine. Her goal being the "freeing" the galaxy from the perceived tyranny of the force by applying it on a large scale somehow, once she figured out how the exile had done it. Subsequent plays left more questions though, to some degree invalidating that first notion. If she just wanted the force dead, she could have let Nihilus have the galaxy for breakfast?

I guess as long as people got to throw lightsabers at stuff, the rest was less important.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

So which SW class = mage?

Jedi? The Kensai-Mage of SW >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

celibacy in religious orders is hardly limited to catholic... exits in buddhism and hinduism to name just a couple. knights templar, buddhist warrior-monks or sadhus can all be equal kinda inspiration for jedi, and in all such cases you gots historic celibacy. yeah, from a genetics pov it not make sense, but the star wars universe is futuristic only in technology. knights running 'round with swords. evil wizards. etc. also, from a practical perspective, if you wanna create a whole forbidden love scenario for a character who is already having a crisis o' faith, makings his religious order forbid romantic entanglements is a crude but effective way to up the ante, no? is no real mystery here, is there? hamfisted but but hardly perplexing.

HA! Good Fun!