SW: The Old Republic

Hurlshort

well, like i said ( i think) i've never paid a monthly fee for a game, so maybe they really do provide enough extra content (free dlc? lol?) that the monthly fee is worth it from a consumer perspective. then its a win win (ie buyer is happy, developer is rich.)

Given that they have something like 100 hours of unique content for each class (8 total) I think it will last me a good while.

perhaps tor will be different, but you may not realize that bio has made virtually this exact same claim multiple times in the past.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

perhaps tor will be different, but you may not realize that bio has made virtually this exact same claim multiple times in the past.

HA! Good Fun!

You mean Dragon Age?

that is only the most recent incarnation o' the claim. sure, da: origins was going to lead to unique gameplay for each class/race combo... but those o' us who recalls nwn development can tell you that da:o were hardly the first time bio made wildly inflated claims 'bout the unique gameplay content for each class offering. as hard as it is to believe for anybody that played nwn, that game were also claimed to offer a unique experience for each class. what bio means by unique content is NOT what the average gamer would describe as unique. each time bio makes such a claim, Gromnir cannot help but chuckle. the sad thing is that folks continue to believe in spite o' evidence o' the past.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

After reading the spoilers for the TOR novel By Drew K.

I have to say that the amount of retconning of KOTOR 2 story is stunning.

After getting and reading a uncorrected proof of this story, pretty sure most people will think it sucks.

There are three main characters throughout: Revan, the Exile (now named Meetra Surik,) and a Sith Lord in the Emperor's service named Darth Scourge.

Revan's story is pretty simple. His dreams are bothering so he leaves his newly pregnant wife to go find out what's going on. He starts off his quest by visiting a planet the Mandolorians are on and helping Canderous find the old Mandalore's mask. Kills Canderous' wife in the process. The information he finds there leads him to the Emperor's home world, which has been stripped of life and made completely empty of the Force. Revan upon leaving is shot down by Scourge and his master and then drugged for two years so he can't do anything.

Scourge is also pretty simple. He's brought to the Imperial capital as part of a political machinations between the council right under the Emperor. He goes around doing things for them, though its pretty painful to read as he likes the tactic of bullrushing shooting enemies while hoping his armor protects him instead of blocking with his lightsaber and cutting people apart. Eventually he learns that the person he's under and a number of the people on the Dark Council are talking about betraying the Emperor because he wants to go after the Republic again. But they're all talk and don't do anything. Eventually they capture Revan and keep him captive for two years. Drugged Revan talks and does him mojo on this guy during this time, none that we actually see, and doesn't actually matter much since it doesn't come to much in the end. Except for the last bit, where he says he has a vision of escape.

Then you have the Exile, Meetra Surik. Bastila finds her and sends her after Revan. First thing you should know, is that Karpyshyn takes the game he did not write for and retcons everything interesting out of it. The Exile is a normal Jedi who was cut off from the Force and became a normal Jedi when she got it back. The Sith Lords are barely even mentioned aside from the fact that they hunted down the Jedi. Oh, Nihilus' power doesn't exist, in fact it can't exist. A big deal is made that the Emperor does the same thing and its something nobody has ever experienced before. The planet he stripped of the force to empower himself is very traumatic to Meetra, despite her in the game being the same thing. So, that part of the story of KOTOR 2 is retconned. Along with everything that came with it.

Anyway, she goes and finds this world and eventually ends up on the Imperial Capital. She finds Scourge, gets him to help her rescue Revan since he was told by him that a rescue would be coming and go and face the Emperor. Oh, Meetra is completely overwhelmed by Scourges master Sith through the use of Sith Lighting until Revan comes out and murderizes her to save the damsel. Anyway, they go face the Emperor where the three of them go face to face, until Scourge gets a vision of a different Jedi facing the Emperor. Figuring this must be the red skinned bastard's eventual killer, he stabs Meetra in the back with his lightsaber and the Emperor electrocutes Revan into submission. He locks Revan up in cryo to spend time plumbing his mind for information to help with his takeover of the Republic. Meetra's spirit refuses to join the Force and sticks with Revan to help him resist. Revan puts thoughts of caution into the Emperor's head, which is how he delays the coming invasion. The end.

I wish I was describing satire or fanfiction, but I'm not so lucky.

Heh, I first heard of nwn when it came out, so I missed those claims.

keep in mind that we do not single out bio in this regard. sure, bio has shown that they is complete untrustworthy regarding their Hours Of Unique Gameplay claims, but am certain that folks will recall similar bloated claims from other developers. now that t_cain is at obsidian, it could be amusing to reflect 'pon the claims made by troika regarding their opening vignettes-- those vingettes were 'posed to have considerable gameply impact on the remaining game.

*snort*

is not bio alone that is making ridiculous claims 'bout unique gameplay experiences, but the canucks has shown that their claims is laughable and should not be relied 'pon.

HA! Good Fun!

I dont understand how each class can offer "100 hours of unique content". Like WoW, Im sure each race will have a unique "home town" but at the end of the day everyone is going to have to collect the same 10 Bantha asses as everyone else running around that zone.

Well, I can't really go into detail, but I will say no, it's not like WoW.

There is so much I want to tell you! Gah!

Okay Hurlshot, look. We ask questions masked as statements, and if the answer is yes, you write something positive, like "super" or "badass". If it's no, you write something negative.

They'll never find out!

Luso, feel free to actually read the thread instead of just throwing a bunch of old news out. The first post actually has Drew K's response to your speculation.

Really?

Hmm I don't know he was the guy who did that Horrible baldur's gate 2 TOB novel naked fight thing...

Any way its not like they can do any more damage to Revan and co.

Luso, feel free to actually read the thread instead of just throwing a bunch of old news out. The first post actually has Drew K's response to your speculation.

Honestly, his response is fine and all but it clears up non of my issues regarding the portrayal (and my issues don't even have much to do with continuity issues.)

Honestly, his response is fine and all but it clears up non of my issues regarding the portrayal (and my issues don't even have much to do with continuity issues.)

I'm going to wait until I read the book for myself, to be honest. It isn't even out yet, so what you have is some people that apparently got the book under suspect conditions going on the internet and trashing it. These aren't professional reviewers, those folks have restrictions on this type of stuff for a reason.

I'm also not all that hung up on lore anyways. I'm glad that a few of the KotOR 2 characters are going to be present in TOR, but I'm not going to stress out about it. As for the book, I'm just hoping it is a decent read. So far I've got one bad TOR book and one good one.

Well, I can't really go into detail, but I will say no, it's not like WoW.

There is so much I want to tell you! Gah!

Just PM him with it then, sheesh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Then you have the Exile, Meetra Surik. Bastila finds her and sends her after Revan. First thing you should know, is that Karpyshyn takes the game he did not write for and retcons everything interesting out of it. The Exile is a normal Jedi who was cut off from the Force and became a normal Jedi when she got it back. The Sith Lords are barely even mentioned aside from the fact that they hunted down the Jedi.

Wait, what the ****? "The exile is a normal Jedi who was cut off from the Force" completely misses the point of the entire character and is directly contradictory to the primary plot point of KotOR2 (that the Exile was not cut off from the force, that she willingly and completely gave it up in response to the horror of Malachor V - this is why she was the sole Jedi that could walk away from Malachor without being broken by the echoes that come from such a tragedy). There is so much that could have been done with this character if it were handled by a diligent author. Also, what the **** is with Bastila sending the Exile after Revan? Kreia already did that, and Bastila did not know where Revan had gone, anyway.

Also, no mention of Kreia is, I suppose, better than a bastardization of her character, though grouping her together with the other "Sith lords" is rather stupid, as she fell past being either a Sith or a Jedi, and pretty much saved the galaxy by luring out the remaining Sith so that they could be destroyed...

I mean, this really just begs the question, did Drew really play KotOR2? Or did he simply read a ****ty plot synopsis?

You know, if he was going to retcon like this, why couldn't he have done something cool and like make the "Kreia is Arren Kae" theory canon?

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Peoplem still crying over stuff like that? Big deal. Back to TOR. I might buy it and take advanatge of the free month so I can get as much content play as possible. I'll have to check out the requirements and reccomendations.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Any of you people going to play this ?

They're getting my money.

As for the WoW comparisons, I guess that would be a problem if a person hated WoW. I enjoyed WoW for a couple years, so I don't consider it a bad thing that they are borrowing elements from the most successful game in the market. It looks to me like the storytelling will be well above WoW though. Companion characters are intriguing, and having a neat ship as home base is awesome too.

A number of people who are interested in TOR are from the Star Wars Galaxy MMO and they HATE WoW. I don't understand the animosity but it's quite strong.

I'm gonna be a Sith >.>

<.<

To you mean you'll be part of the Sith Empire (faction), a Sith Warrior or Inquisitor (classes), or that you'll be playing a True Sith (race)?

So which SW class = mage?

Inquisitor and Consular or whatever.

Specifically, the Sith Sorcerer or Jedi Sage advanced classes.

Bastila needs to make a cameo...

Agreed.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

That needs that .gif of Stallone opening a door and then backing away. Yeah.

Ah well, minor thing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I am actually bursting at the seams trying not to talk about the game with you folks. I have a ton of stuff I want to share. I'm pretty sure I'm driving my wife nuts with all the "Honey, come over here and check this out!"

On another note, Saturday she kicked me off the computer and played it herself for awhile, so that's cool. She hasn't played a game since WoW.

I didn't know you'd gotten in. Congrats. Are you on the PvE or PvP server?

that is only the most recent incarnation o' the claim. sure, da: origins was going to lead to unique gameplay for each class/race combo... but those o' us who recalls nwn development can tell you that da:o were hardly the first time bio made wildly inflated claims 'bout the unique gameplay content for each class offering.

BioWare isn't saying that each class gets unique gameplay. They're saying each class has their own storyline.

For example, here's an interview with Charles Boyd, the Lead Writer for the trooper story. They have a lead writer for each class.

There's also the interview with Daniel Erickson.

"Each of the Class Stories is a trilogy. Chapter 1 itself is far bigger than the entirety of Knights of the Old Republic. Each Chapter has a distinct ending, wrap up and then the next Chapter starts. When we said it was akin to KOTOR 3-10 and beyond it wasn

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.