Dragon Age 2

Gorth

DA2's major flaw was being a bad sequel to a terrible game.

To fix the DA series, Biowarian's will have to play the Witcher 2.

Even that may not help.

Boo.

Excellent, a first test case for you-know-who to be summoned.

I should probably get around to playing this game. Hm..Christmas Steam sale maybe?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Dragon Age Origins is a much better game than the Witcher 2.

really? :ermm: well, in that case I won't be playing W2 anytime soon, never liked DAO that much

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Even that may not help.

Boo.

Dragon Age Origins is a much better game than the Witcher 2. There ya go, booyah.

Dragon Age 2's problem is that it's pretty bad overall.

Stop it you guys, you'll upset the Volo :ermm:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Dragon Age Origins is a much better game than the Witcher 2.

really? :o well, in that case I won't be playing W2 anytime soon, never liked DAO that much

They're nothing alike.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

it doesn't mean that one cannot be better than the other, though

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

it doesn't mean that one cannot be better than the other, though

It does mean that reasons for not liking one are wholly irrelevant when looking at the other.

not necessarily, they both are RPGs. the only difference I can see is that in DAO you control several characters

Walsingham said:

not necessarily, they both are RPGs. the only difference I can see is that in DAO you control several characters

You're just trolling at this point, right?

ugh, no? :o but sure, just forget it, it's nothing

Walsingham said:

Even that may not help.

Boo.

Welcome to the forum sir, good to see another paragon of common sense and good taste. Like me.

Not to disappoint you, but I'm the old emperor in a new suit. Xcuse the pun.

RPGMasterBoo.

Volourn cracked my account and changed my password the last time I explained to him how much Neverwinter Nights sucks.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I seriously don't get the hate for DA2. I mean, I have only played DA2's demo (as funds are sort of low right now). But I do like the more responsive combat. I went back and played Golems and Witch Hunt after playing the DA2 demo. And I detested the combat in both Golems and Witch Hunt after having played DA2's demo - simply because of this time around npcs + Hawke actually did what I ordered them to do. Instead of just standing around, slugging their way to 'ok, maybe I'll do a swing with my big two-handed sword . if I feel like it - in a minute or so - meh.'

The only problem I have with the combat in DA2 (from the demo) is that rogues are now ninjas that magically backstab by flying through the air - as if someone had ordered all strings from Crouching Tiger - Hidden Dragon to be available for the rogue's backstabbing movements. It does take some of the fun out of hiding in shadows, sneaking up to the enemy, and then planting the dagger in his back, before he or she (or the monsters) even know what's going on.

I can understand much has been said about the re-use of areas, guess what. Every game out there does it, even Witcher 1.

I clearly remember seeing the same cave at least 2 or 3 times; however, this was maybe 20 with a timespan of 20-30 hours.

DA2 is a much shorter game, (than witcher 1) so maybe that's why people are upset?

As for the non-equipment of your character's followers (npcs), I can understand why people want this. But maybe there could be a middleground here? NPCs having their own unique dressing style really build their characterization in game - meaning that they will wear what they will wear. Maybe there could be unique outfits for them througout the game, and maybe unique weapons as well that got upgraded too (like the armor) during the game.

Most comments I've seen agree that this game's plot, DA2's plot, is something an rpg hasn't done in many years, telling a more personal story throgh Hawke's ris to power. Most comments, however, also seem to agree that the design and the execution were - to say the least - horribly done. Possibly because of the 12-18 months development time. And most comments also agree that the way the story unfolded in Act three were ridiculous.

To me, it seems that Bioware aimed at telling a story like the one in The Witcher (1) where everything is in chaos after the end game, and nothing really has changed. Except that something has changed in the game's world (thedas) after the ending. Bioware didn't quite pull this off in a believable way.

However, I do like the idea behind it: to pull the curtain away from the player, to pull the rug away under the gamer, to kick over the sandcastle they seem to have built during the first game. It is a bold move to do, imo. Especially because players expect

that now there is peace and quiet in Ferelden, and Thedas, and now it'll be the time to relax. But no, says Lead Writer Gaider. Now is the time to drastically change the world, to show how a man's actions influences the world - or not. As I understand, Hawke, like Geralt, is a bystander, trying to get by, and gets involved by coincidence, like Geralt. And like Geralt, he is powerless when it comes to preventing a war, in Hawkw's case between the Mages and the Templar's. And to, this plot is refreshing - and a

novel idea. (instead of the let's save the world again...for the nth time...)

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

I can understand much has been said about the re-use of areas, guess what. Every game out there does it, even Witcher 1.

I clearly remember seeing the same cave at least 2 or 3 times; however, this was maybe 20 with a timespan of 20-30 hours.

And none of that in The Witcher II. That's what a sequel should do. Improve, not degrate. Imagine if ME3 does the same...

To me, it seems that Bioware aimed at telling a story like the one in The Witcher (1) where everything is in chaos after the end game, and nothing really has changed. Except that something has changed in the game's world (thedas) after the ending. Bioware didn't quite pull this off in a believable way.

But CDProjekt can. So that's why some want DA3 from them... :)

Especially because players expect that now there is peace and quiet in Ferelden, and Thedas, and now it'll be the time to relax.

Players expect that in sequels? :o

I doubt anyone would imagine Baldur's Gate 2 or IWD2 would be "peaceful" and 'relax-times'. That's just not how RPG's work.

And to, this plot is refreshing - and a novel idea. (instead of the let's save the world again...for the nth time...)

Like The Witcher 1? Like KOTOR2?

Sure, novel... o:)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

How is this for an idea about the writing? Gaider should stop trying to make "A Song of Fire and Ice: the Game" he can't pull it off.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

*looks around*

This is preemptive, I take it?

Or are we just talking about all the "bonus" items? Yeah, don't really care enough about them to consider it a flaw, but it has kind of reached absurd proportions.

Yes, I meant the bonus items. Most literally do nothing and require you to do some of the most absurd things.

How is this for an idea about the writing? Gaider should stop trying to make "A Song of Fire and Ice: the Game" he can't pull it off.

Beyond the superficial resemblances (Civil war as the darkspawn/others approach), there isn't much in the way of similarity between DA and ASoIaF.

I don't think he even tried. Harry Potter is more dark than Dragon Age.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Harry Potter is more dark than Dragon Age.
Dude Harry Potter is already pretty Grim Dark.

They give deadly weapons to 11 year olds, the school they attend is notoriously unsafe, their major sport is played 100 feet up in the air on a fragile broomstick with 2 self propelled balls of solid iron.

No one above the age of 17 is any help at all to the kids when they need it.

A immortal psychotic killer is after you, and you HAVE to kill him or be killed yourself.

The world is being taken over by his followers, and no one belives anything you say.

The government body is totally corrupt, hell they sent monsters that feed on good memories and souls to silence you after you tried to warn them that the Dark Lord was back, then they sent the same person who tried to kill you to make sure no one learns how to defend themselves against dark magic. And she ends up taking over the school.

And then your godfather, who was sent to hell on earth for 12 years because no one could be bothered to try some simple divination spells or administer some truth potion, gets tossed through a portal to the realm of the dead.

Ohh and you were heavily abused by your relatives before you went to Hogwarts, they sicced a ****ing dog on you, regularly starved you, and your aunt swung a frying pan at your head.

Do I need to say any more?

I seriously don't get the hate for DA2. I mean, I have only played DA2's demo (as funds are sort of low right now). But I do like the more responsive combat. I went back and played Golems and Witch Hunt after playing the DA2 demo. And I detested the combat in both Golems and Witch Hunt after having played DA2's demo - simply because of this time around npcs + Hawke actually did what I ordered them to do. Instead of just standing around, slugging their way to 'ok, maybe I'll do a swing with my big two-handed sword . if I feel like it - in a minute or so - meh.'

The only problem I have with the combat in DA2 (from the demo) is that rogues are now ninjas that magically backstab by flying through the air - as if someone had ordered all strings from Crouching Tiger - Hidden Dragon to be available for the rogue's backstabbing movements. It does take some of the fun out of hiding in shadows, sneaking up to the enemy, and then planting the dagger in his back, before he or she (or the monsters) even know what's going on.

DA2 is a much shorter game, (than witcher 1) so maybe that's why people are upset?

As for the non-equipment of your character's followers (npcs), I can understand why people want this. But maybe there could be a middleground here? NPCs having their own unique dressing style really build their characterization in game - meaning that they will wear what they will wear. Maybe there could be unique outfits for them througout the game, and maybe unique weapons as well that got upgraded too (like the armor) during the game.

Most comments I've seen agree that this game's plot, DA2's plot, is something an rpg hasn't done in many years, telling a more personal story throgh Hawke's ris to power. Most comments, however, also seem to agree that the design and the execution were - to say the least - horribly done. Possibly because of the 12-18 months development time. And most comments also agree that the way the story unfolded in Act three were ridiculous.

However, I do like the idea behind it: to pull the curtain away from the player, to pull the rug away under the gamer, to kick over the sandcastle they seem to have built during the first game. It is a bold move to do, imo. Especially because players expect

that now there is peace and quiet in Ferelden, and Thedas, and now it'll be the time to relax. But no, says Lead Writer Gaider. Now is the time to drastically change the world, to show how a man's actions influences the world - or not. As I understand, Hawke, like Geralt, is a bystander, trying to get by, and gets involved by coincidence, like Geralt. And like Geralt, he is powerless when it comes to preventing a war, in Hawkw's case between the Mages and the Templar's. And to, this plot is refreshing - and a

novel idea. (instead of the let's save the world again...for the nth time...)

The problem is that a majority of the fights play out exactly the same. Fight some baddies, then they get reinforcements, and possibly more reinforcements. The combat mechanics are good (apart from the horrid camera), it's just the encounters that are bad. And not really bad either, just extremely uniform.

Then there are other issues that can't be seen from the demo. The extreme re-use of locations (all caves look identical etc) and fairly bland writing. I like what they were trying to do in regards to the story, it just didn't quite get there for me. Still a decent game, but nowhere near the original in overall quality. Basically, it's a rush job and it shows.

Beyond the superficial resemblances (Civil war as the darkspawn/others approach), there isn't much in the way of similarity between DA and ASoIaF.

Let's see

Black watch/Legion of Dead - check

Dragons/Dragons and Archdemons - check

Dothraki/Qunari - check

Dead king, usurper on the throne, political conflict over the succession/ditto - check

Robert Baratheon is king because of a rebellion/ Maric was king because of a rebellion - check

Whitewalkers/ Darkspawn - check

ect.ect.

Please let me know if you need more, I can do this the whole day

village_idiot.gif