What are you playing now?

Bought a gamecube like two years ago for 50 euro, just to be able to finally play the resident evil remake. It was totally worth it. Later I've also bought MGS: TTS and that's it.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Bought a 360 earlier this year purely to get Eurosport (minimum monthly fee accessing it via 360 being literally half the normal price for a cable package). Still haven't used it for any games, so yeah.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Well that's the thing.. picking up an xbox 360 seems to float around the

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Is there backwards compatibility between old and new consoles of a type? Because if you got some old piece of hardware and it breaks, you can't play the games anymore. Like, what if my gamecube breaks some day- then I can't play the resident evil remake anymore or it will cost me a lot, because I have to find and buy a new console.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I've never bought a console in the 35 years of my life. I would have first to buy a TV set and don't like the idea of playing with a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse. That's like going to the mountains and doing luge instead of ski. Or reading magazines instead of books.

Edit : still playing Avadon.

Edited by Orchomene

Is there backwards compatibility between old and new consoles of a type? Because if you got some old piece of hardware and it breaks, you can't play the games anymore. Like, what if my gamecube breaks some day- then I can't play the resident evil remake anymore or it will cost me a lot, because I have to find and buy a new console.

You can play Gamecube games on the Wii, but only if you have Gamecube Controllers or the Special Wii Game Controllers.

Is there backwards compatibility between old and new consoles of a type?

PS3 can play PS1 games, but only certain older PS3 models can play (some/all?) PS2 games. 360 can play some Xbox games. Wii can play Gamecube games, but you need to use an original GC controller.

Edit: Too slow.

Edited by Hell Kitty

It's limited. Frankly, if the next gen lacks extensive backwards compatibility, I'm probably going to skip back to PC gaming.

I've never bought a console in the 35 years of my life. I would have first to buy a TV set and don't like the idea of playing with a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse. That's like going to the mountains and doing luge instead of ski. Or reading magazines instead of books.

Or going to a beach resort instead of a monastery. :unsure:

More seriously, though, you don't need a tv for console gaming any more than you need for PC gaming. All my gear is hooked up to the same display, via the same ht amp. I can understand preferring mouse+kb, I used to be that way before I started actual work (not studies) on a computer, now just touching a mouse feels like work to me. :p Still, it's clearly a superior format of input (for most games, sometimes it's close and I've gotten pretty good at console shooters), I just like to do my gaming in an, ahem, semi-recumbent posture, and for that, console controllers rule. :down:

In fact, your comparison of reading magazines instead of books might be surprisingly fitting. I do legal research for a living, and a side effect of that is that it totally burns me out on reading anything but a hifi mag most of the time. I average 2-3 books a year outside my holidays, but then I really start cramming. PC gaming also becomes a lot more interesting at those times, hmm...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Picked up Battlefield: Bad Company semi-accidentally yesterday. Have found it to be a lot of fun so far, the feeling of freedom is refreshing after a couple of years of virtually no other FPSs than CoDs. I'll be sure to pick up the second one soon (in fact, I thought I was buying that one, damn allergies), and probably BF3 later this year.

Ok, brain not working today (either), so double-posting.

Also, I have I think... 5 xbox games (deus ex:iw, dark corners of the earth, kotor 1-2 and jade empire) and I think Jade Empire is the only one that actually works. DXIW isn't even theoretically supported, kotors are but don't work and dark corners apparently has some issues, haven't tested.

Edited by Nepenthe

Just finished my second run on F:NV. Have to finish reruns of Deus Ex and VtMB. Starting Gothic 2 and ToEE soon (though they'll get put on hold next tuesday).

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I do legal research for a living

this is your problem right here. you need to tell other people to do the research for you. your only real work should be picking which brandy to drink while lounging behind your giant desk.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i thought nepenthe was rolling in $$$?

or is that just me.

BAM

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm doing a PhD equivalent in law. And yeah, I'm in a multinational research project, they pay me a token sum. :shifty:

Yeah well I'm an astronaut king. Beat that.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Playing Homeworld while I await a PSU arriving. That and EVE, the joy of packing all my stuff up, leaving The Forge for the backwater that is Min space, lovely named place too Molden Heath.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm a pirate ninja instructor. In my spare time I do legal research for the Brazilian ladies' beach volleyball team, when I'm not test-driving Ferraris.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm a pirate ninja instructor. In my spare time I do legal research for the Brazilian ladies' beach volleyball team, when I'm not test-driving Ferraris.

I'm a Federal Bureaucrat Attorney. :)

I do legal research for a living

You can get paid, like money, for that?

Nepenthe is a professional hobo as well, so I'm guessing the answer is no.

I essentially get paid for a combination of legal research and what I'll call law-related technical editing (advising several teams of non-lawyers who are researching and writing reports and reviewing the final products for legal sufficiency).

Anyhow, I'm playing a mix of Civ V, The Witcher, and Magicka, depending on the particular mood that strikes me. Also, crushing the souls of the righteous.

And I'm Buddha.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

And I'm Buddha.

I hear that pays terrible too.

And I'm Buddha.

I hear that pays terrible too.

But it's got a great health plan.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Beach volley teams are a lousy deal, there's only two chicks in them. :(

I've done some legal consulting for a model agency...

I'm a pirate ninja instructor.

For we are the deadly shadows that stalk in the night and go "Aaaaarrr!" ?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."