HBO's Game of Thrones

MechanicalLemon

There sure is alot of incest on this show. Wasnt it enough to have ONE brother/sister hookup?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

There sure is alot of incest on this show. Wasnt it enough to have ONE brother/sister hookup?

There's only one brother/sister hookup (IIRC, with on-screen characters anyway).

Viserys is just slightly nutty, and likes to abuse Daenerys. But no sex there, just nipple-pinching. :sorcerer:

There's only one brother/sister hookup (IIRC, with on-screen characters anyway).

Viserys is just slightly nutty, and likes to abuse Daenerys. But no sex there, just nipple-pinching. o:)

Hold the line, Mr Brown. :sorcerer:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Isn't the incest thing one of the reasons the Dragon Kings got overthrown and why Dany is now on the other continent?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Isn't the incest thing one of the reasons the Dragon Kings got overthrown and why Dany is now on the other continent?

Only very indirectly (

It's called "Martin genetics"

).

The series is just taking after real life royal families.

Haven't read the books so the WTF comments (altho understandable) pass me by.

I still like it. Sean Bean is great, yes dwarf bloke is great too and the vile, horrible blonde queen incest chick reminds me of Keira Knightley's hot older sister. Which is good. The spoilt prince-kid is well cast and a good actor because I already hate him.

Mark Addy (fat king) is quite well-known in the UK for his supermarket TV ads so it's lovely to see him acting and doing something decent for a change.

The only fly in the ointment is Ghengis-Rapist with the comedy facial hair and his ridiculous blonde wifelet. Hopefully they die.

Am tempted to buy the book, bearing in mind I don't really read much modern fantasy, if I feel the need I reach for some old Eternal Champion type stuff.

Still hovering a 7.5/10 and rising. Monte approves as, crucially, does Mrs. Monte.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Monte, I think the big thing that people love about the books is that they're political thrillers with magic, rather than "I wanna rip off tolkien!" with some minor politics thrown in to be "different".

The first book is fun the first time and fairly well paced. But the books aren't really for everyone. I probably won't be picking up the latest because, well, his pacing sucks after that first book. Also doesn't help that I'm interested in battles etc and his "fight" scenes are basically handled offscreen with after-the-fact descriptions rather than actually having to write out the scene.

The only fly in the ointment is Ghengis-Rapist with the comedy facial hair and his ridiculous blonde wifelet. Hopefully they die.

They handled Drogo wrong if I remember the book right. Dany sees how depraved the Dothraki are and he's surprisingly gentle so she comes to love him. In the show they made him just like the rest of them. She ends up being one of the best characters in the book.

So far they're being extremely faithful. I pictured Robert taller though.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ive not read the books and Ive missed about 20 minutes from the first two episodes (missed the entire 3rd episode somehow :shifty: ). You guys keep saying incest so fill me in here, are the blond queen and the dude she was doing in the tower brother and sister?

The 3rd episode hasn't aired yet.

HBO has a listing of the characters. (In short, yes they are.)

It's starting to hit it's stride now. There is enough variance from the book to make it interesting (like that exchange between Robert, Jamie & Ser Barristan plus the exchange between Cersei & Joffery). It is adding to the story, not detracting and that is a good thing since there is so much background that cannot be covered. That guy who played Syrio was good too.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

--maybe Sean Bean is a bit typecast as the gloomy fantasy male, but he's really good at it

--Jamie Lannister gets better every week

--Tyrion Lannister, ditto

--Daenerys's character progression/growth still compels me. I perk up during her segments

--sometimes it's hard to watch when I know the outcomes of certain plot points already

--I'm tired of the dragoneggs.

--actor playing Jon Snow isn't doing it for me

--the constant switching of PoV every 2 minutes is starting to annoy me a little, like it did in the book. It's not a major thing, but...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So the exchange between Jaime, Robert and Barristan was exclusive to the show? I didn't remember it from the book. Really, really enjoyed the scene though, well done. I think Robert is really well cast, there is a really great drunken intensity to him.

Jaime and Ned are really great as well, as is Tyrion. Actually I think the casting is good overall. Not too crazy about Viserys, I think they pushed it a bit too far on to the... well, how to put it... Sort of too much on the inefficiently cruel side of things, feels a bit too weak. It was partially like that in the book as well but it really managed to sell the control that Viserys has over Dany (initially at least) in a much more effective way.

The Dothraki segments sorta feel a bit out of place to me but it was like that for me in the books as well (though I really enjoy them) because it's such a big switch in culture and feel to the rest of the stuff.

Overall the switches in PoVs don't bother me though there were a few cuts in this episode that were really brief which made it feel a bit disjointed at times. But it's a great show to watch and it's moving along at a good pace.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

"It's a gift from the Great Stallion" has become catchphrase of the week in my house already.

Does it come up at very inappropriate moments? :sweat:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Dothraki slave girl (talking about the queen) - "she has a baby inside her"

Assembled throng (sotto voce) - "'tis a gift from the great stallion!"

Ouch.

:( I was expecting something more juicy, like double entendre or mid coitus - "tis a gift from the great stallion"

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The Great Stallion? Is that a relative to the Italian Stallion?

Really enjoyed the latest episode, think it might be my favorite one yet. Especially the editing was a bit better in my opinion, with longer scenes and the cuts not nearly as frequent as the last episode. Wasn't sure about Baelish earlier on but really growing to like his performance.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

My husband, who hasn't read the book, when the episode ended:

"That was unexpected." (reaction to the very very end/Tyrion)

but also:

"That wasn't nearly as interesting as the previous episodes."

(for me, I'm still going to watch every week and I still like it, but I still feel like something is missing.)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts