HBO's Game of Thrones

MechanicalLemon

I want more fighty-time. All this faffing about isnt doing it for me.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Don't think you'll have much luck there. While there are definitely fighting scenes, they're pretty rare in the books as well and many battles and such are kept "off-screen" as it were.

That said, can't really remember if there were any noteworthy fights specifically in the Game of Thrones book. But yeah, it's a very talky-talky based series.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Don't think you'll have much luck there. While there are definitely fighting scenes, they're pretty rare in the books as well and many battles and such are kept "off-screen" as it were.

That said, can't really remember if there were any noteworthy fights specifically in the Game of Thrones book. But yeah, it's a very talky-talky based series.

Honestly, I think Martin kinda sucks at fighty fighty writing

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Thought this was funny.

1303681627303.jpg

I thought the last episode was great. It may have been a bit exposition-heavy for the average viewer but I didn't mind at all. Deadwood had tons of dialogue and that was a great show.

I'm also liking how the show has fleshed out some of the minor characters. In the books, Alliser Thorne is pretty much a ****. While he's still a **** in the show, the talk he had with Jon and Sam made him seem...more human, I guess.

That pic is :blink:

I don't mind talky per se & I didn't expect this series to be a fight action-fest since I did read the book.

Some of my favorite films are like one long series of conversations...but depends on how it's done. Maybe it's because with a long series it starts to feel drawn out soap opera style. Or how Shakespeare on the actual stage can be awesome but often filmed versions (even Branagh's stuff) can never quite capture it (imo).

But it wouldn't surprise me for the series to be like the book, for me ... kind of a struggle to get through most of it but by the very end I'm suddenly "MORE I WANT MORE." So I'm patiently waiting. :x

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Honestly, I think Martin kinda sucks at fighty fighty writing

There's only Red Viper vs the Mountain, basically, and even that one tries to hard at emulating R.A. Salvatore.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

For those who want fighting, the kidnapping of Tyrion was the opening act of the War of the Five Kings which will dominate the story for the rest of the season and the next two. They got away from the book quite a bit this week to fill in some of the back story but I thought it was well done. I know there was a lot of dialogue and not much action but the stage has to be set for everything that comes next. Strange how there has been no mention of Stannis Baratheon so far. His absence from Kings Landing and what he is up to on Dragonstone are important to the story.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

There's only Red Viper vs the Mountain, basically.

Tyrion sees a lot of large-scale combat, as do Jon and Dany. Other individual fights include Jon v. Quorin (as well as his training yard scenes), Bronn v. Lysa's champion, and a couple of instances involving Brienne.

My new favorite YT video:

Why I Like Tyrion (Joffrey Gets Slapped)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tyrion sees a lot of large-scale combat, as do Jon and Dany. Other individual fights include Jon v. Quorin (as well as his training yard scenes), Bronn v. Lysa's champion, and a couple of instances involving Brienne.

oooh that reminds me - Bronn should be turning up soon in the show ^_^

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

oooh that reminds me - Bronn should be turning up soon in the show ^_^

He turned up in the last episode. The guy who offered Tyrion his bed was him. :(

Just saw the first 4 episodes.

The beginning was promising.

The last episode was kinda geekish, a bit David Gaider Dragon Age novel'ish. Fairytale RPG-light ****.

They should get real writers - not RPGers - to write the script.

J.

Edited by Gorth
Bad language

Episode 5 comments:

I didn't remember Loras and Renly being gay for each other, but apparently it was in the books too.

Not that I minded the implied gay sex, but I could do without the sound effects. :shifty:

One of few changes thus far that I really didn't like I'm afraid. While I agree that the books do hint at it, I think the whole "ladida, we're obviously gay characters" feel to the scene took it overboard. Never really read much of that into their personalities in the books and I don't particularly felt like it added much.

The bit with Cersei and Robert was pretty interesting, don't think that was in the book? Sorta makes their relationship feel a bit different and more nuanced in some ways.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

They have gone off book a fair bit but it is working well and the story is heading in the same direction. The only thing I really do not like is how they are handling Renley. He did not conspire to usurp Robert, and the TV character seems like something of a pansy. The book Renley was a lot more robust. And yes the thing with Loras was in the book too. Martin did not hit you over the head with it but it still works they way it is done in the show.

One thing they whiffed on was the Queen was supposed to have manipulated Robert into fighting in the tournament. It was supposed to be an opportunity to assasinate him that Ned Stark foiled by talking him out of.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The boob quotient is getting lower every episode. Boobs have been a core part of this series so I am not amused.

This is not a gift from the great stallion.

You'll want to watch ep5 then, there's more boobs, a blowjob, and even some tit-sucking!

The boob quotient is getting lower every episode. Boobs have been a core part of this series so I am not amused.

This is not a gift from the great stallion.

You'll want to watch ep5 then, there's more boobs, a blowjob, and even some tit-sucking!

Tyrion and Catelyn's reaction to that = :) Great if somewhat disturbing scene. You also forgot animal cruelty too.

All in all, a few minor quibbles for me. I loved it, personally.

A very funny poastr from GRRMs blog:

It has come to my attention that a number of television viewers (mostly those who had not read my books and did not know what was coming)were shocked and upset by what befell Sansa's direwolf Lady at the end of the second episode of HBO's GAME OF THRONES.

Good. I mean, that was kind of the point.

But some people were reportedly so shocked and upset that they wrote angry blogs about it, and even declared that they would not continue watching the show.

Not so good. Obviously, I'm sorry to hear that.

I don't know if any of those people are reading my Not A Blog. But in case they are, perhaps it will make you feel a little better to know that Zunni, the Northern Inuit who played Lady, is alive and well, and has been adopted by Sophie Turner, the lovely young actress who plays Sansa in the show. We didn't really kill her.

(Rhodri Hosking, the young actor who played the butcher's boy Mycah, was not actually killed either, though oddly, no one seems quite so upset about him).

Real wolves and wolf-hybrids are being killed every day in the real world, however. If you love wolves, and were upset at Lady's death, why not try to help some real wolves?

There's some great folks right in Candy Kitchen, New Mexico who do just that (yes, New Mexico has a Candy Kitchen. We also have a Pietown and a Truth Or Consequences. Three reasons I love this state).

They're called the Wild Spirit Wolf Sancturary, and they rescue wolves and wolf-hybrids. You can learn all about them from their website, here:

http://www.wildspiritwolfsanctuary.org/

Years ago, for Christmas, the fans of the Brotherhood Without Banners sponsored a wolf in Parris's name, and made her a "wolf mother."

So shed no tears for Lady... but if you have a spare buck or two, send it to Wild Spirit in her name, and you might help save a real wolf or three.

If they were upset about killing the wolf which was not shown, wait until we hear the outcry over Ser Gregor beheading his horse. Eveyonr needs to grow up, no animals are actually harmed in filming these days.

Thomas Sowell