Mass Effect 3

Gorth

some anime is awesome: cowboy bebop and spirited away, for example. I wouldn't trust anyone who disliked those two.

I know there is a lot of other anime out there, but I haven't seen most of it, and even if I had, claiming that anime sucked because 99% of it sucks would be like saying horror movies suck (because 99% of them do), and completely ignoring The Haunting, Psycho, The Thing, and Night of the Living Dead etc etc.

Cowboy Bebop is good in spite of its animation. 100% of anime sucks. 99% of the stories and characters suck. Let the flaming begin! :ermm:

The only thing that could cheapen the ME universe more now with an Anime movie coming out would be a ME MMO.

so when you say anime, you mean only the style of art found in most anime? large eyes etc?

Do other people have this definition?

have I been missing the boat for 20 years?

I always thought anime simply meant any animation made in japan.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

so when you say anime, you mean only the style of art found in most anime? large eyes etc?

"Cowboy Bebop is good in spite of its animation. 100% of anime animation sucks. 99% of the stories and characters suck. Let the flaming begin!"

I simply forgot an added word. I'd define anime as the whole package... all the anime tropes etc. Yeah, not all of them contain every element. Part of what made Bebop good was that a character didn't get upset and have a squigly line appear over their head followed by their already large eyes going titanic saucer plate sized when angry with flailing limbs etc.

The animation for me is just... horrendous. Bebop would come on and I'd see the animation and I'd say **** this and change the channel. I finally caved to all the positive things said about and actually watched an episode and enjoyed it in spite of it's animation... and the spiky hair on... Spike. The whole sci-fi space cowboys/bounty hunters really appealed to me. I became more open minded about anime, giving other shows a chance but they were all horrible.

I hate this recent trend of popular game series getting a cheap anime movie. The sensibilities of the game rarely match up with Japanese writers. Just look at the atrocity that was Halo Legends.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

"Cowboy Bebop is good in spite of its animation. 100% of anime animation sucks. 99% of the stories and characters suck. Let the flaming begin!"

I simply forgot an added word. I'd define anime as the whole package... all the anime tropes etc. Yeah, not all of them contain every element. Part of what made Bebop good was that a character didn't get upset and have a squigly line appear over their head followed by their already large eyes going titanic saucer plate sized when angry with flailing limbs etc.

The animation for me is just... horrendous. Bebop would come on and I'd see the animation and I'd say **** this and change the channel. I finally caved to all the positive things said about and actually watched an episode and enjoyed it in spite of it's animation... and the spiky hair on... Spike. The whole sci-fi space cowboys/bounty hunters really appealed to me. I became more open minded about anime, giving other shows a chance but they were all horrible.

I hate this recent trend of popular game series getting a cheap anime movie. The sensibilities of the game rarely match up with Japanese writers. Just look at the atrocity that was Halo Legends.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider good animation?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Anything else. Disney, Warner Bros. Anime started out as: How can we do Disney but cheap? Cut out the animations and place it against a static background.

Take a look at this, from 1937. Look how smoothly the characters move. Look at the most recent anime out of Japan and it looks like stop motion in comparison. Every moment a character is on screen, they are moving. It looks... life like. Even though many of the backgrounds are static, watch when Snow White runs through the forest and pushes the branches out of the way and interacts with the environment.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Anything else. Disney, Warner Bros. Anime started out as: How can we do Disney but cheap? Cut out the animations and place it against a static background.

Take a look at this, from 1937. Look how smoothly the characters move. Look at the most recent anime out of Japan and it looks like stop motion in comparison. Every moment a character is on screen, they are moving. It looks... life like. Even though many of the backgrounds are static, watch when Snow White runs through the forest and pushes the branches out of the way and interacts with the environment.

Can't really blame "anime" on cheap animation - that was pretty much pioneered by Hanna-Barbera ("Limited Animation" they called it) to do animation on a tv budget. Thus recycled animation pieces and static, non animated scenes (or barely animated, like mouths only).

Anime didn't start out as "Disney but cheap" it started out as "Lets do animated movies like Disney". I'd stack the best of Japanese animation against the best of US Animation personally - if its good, its good, if its not its not. Country of origin is pretty irrelevant IMO.

ObTopic: Looking forward to Mass Effect 3 - but no interest in the animation because it won't be "my" Sheppard. :verymad:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

If you're willing to look past the "animated in Japan" look and could deal with the way they animated Cowboy Bebop, you might try Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex. It had a solid two seasons. It's especially good if you're into worlds like Deus Ex: sci-fi, cybernetic augmentation, and the rest.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

Can't really blame "anime" on cheap animation - that was pretty much pioneered by Hanna-Barbera ("Limited Animation" they called it) to do animation on a tv budget. Thus recycled animation pieces and static, non animated scenes (or barely animated, like mouths only).

Anime didn't start out as "Disney but cheap" it started out as "Lets do animated movies like Disney". I'd stack the best of Japanese animation against the best of US Animation personally - if its good, its good, if its not its not. Country of origin is pretty irrelevant IMO.

ObTopic: Looking forward to Mass Effect 3 - but no interest in the animation because it won't be "my" Sheppard. :verymad:

The thing is though, lack of animation seems to be a hall-mark of anime, as if it is a point of pride. Again, look at a modern anime movie with the best of the best effects and the action is just off. A punch might be comprised of just a few frames of animation. I just watched the trailers for some of the recent compilation animation, like The Matrix anime movie, the Dead Space 2 anime movie, Batman anime & Halo Legends and it all looks off.

When you add this to the odd art styles, the strange sensibilities (Halo Legends: I'm an ODST who hates Spartans, but this Spartan is a girl so I now look up to and respect them. Emo this emo that.), the lack of movement etc I just hate anime.

As far as the ME anime goes, I'm betting they'll not even have Shepard in the story. This has been another trend in these anime compilation movies that I listed. They are often side stories, sort of companion pieces to the main body of work.

haters gonna hate?

I hate that phrase.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

look at a modern anime movie with the best of the best effects and the action is just off.

I just watched the trailers for some of the recent compilation animation, like The Matrix anime movie, the Dead Space 2 anime movie, Batman anime & Halo Legends and it all looks off.

You consider direct-to-dvd cash-ins to be modern anime movies with the best of the best effects? One of those movies isn't even made in Japan. The one with the worst animation, I'd argue.

That's some selection process.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just watched the trailers for some of the recent compilation animation, like The Matrix anime movie, the Dead Space 2 anime movie, Batman anime & Halo Legends and it all looks off.

You consider direct-to-dvd cash-ins to be modern anime movies with the best of the best effects? One of those movies isn't even made in Japan. The one with the worst animation, I'd argue.

That's some selection process.

Which one was that? From my understanding all of them were outsourced to Japanese studios. What exactly would you say are decent big release anime movies? I remember Princess Mononoke and my complaints fit that one too.

Hey... if you like anime good for you! :verymad:

No, anime means "cartoons I don't like".

Me too, my brother from another mother. Let's be best friends forever. :)

haters gonna hate?

I hate that phrase.

That's because because you're too cool for internet memes.

HatersGonnaHatePanda.jpg

I agree with Greasy. Anime is in general annoying lazily produced, massively spewed garbage. Most of the time on the exact same level as US saturday morning cartoons.

That said I've watched dozens of Anime films and tv shows. Тhere are a few I like, despite the ridiculously unimaginative visual style the human characters have (and only the characters, everything else differs wildly from show to show):

-most of Miyazaki's works

-Ghost in the Shell series (despite their stupidly simple but still incredibly convoluted storylines)

-Robotech (its crap but my 7 year old self loves it)

-Jin Roh (its practically not anime)

-Great Teacher Onizuka

But really, apart from Miyazaki, you see one, you've seen them all.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Mass Effect 3 details.

Mass Effect 3 starts as Shepard stands trial for his actions in recent ME3 DLC Arrival. Part-way through the hearing the Reapers invade earth. Mass Effect 3's prologue involves Shepard escaping to the Normandy, before rocketing off to put the old team back together. He'll fight Reaper-controlled husks of all species along the way.
Enigmatic Mass Effect 2 patron the Illusive Man also returns, his Cerberus operation now tasked with killing Shepard. Why the Illusive Man has turned the tables on his former champion remains to be seen.

I'm tempted to do a Renegade ME2 replay and have as many party members kick the bucket as possible with Shepard still surviving the mission.

They're probably all returning alive in ME3 anyway, BG2-style.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Guest Slinky
I'm tempted to do a Renegade ME2 replay and have as many party members kick the bucket as possible with Shepard still surviving the mission.

I will be really surprised if the amount of dialog with the surviving characters from earlier games will be adequate.

Someone give spoilers from Arrival DLC because I have no idea what's it about. Too bad that they chose to advance the main storyline with DLCs but I guess that's the sign 'o times.

I like that Ashley is back but her graphical redesign probably also mean that Bioware has done some modding for her personality. I always liked the conservative, "I'm not racist"-racist and theist Ashley. I'm not sure I like Cerberus turning yet again against Shepard, as there were no option in ME2 to stay with the Alliance. I guess I have to wait for the plot twist

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

After the HUGE deal they made of the "suicide" mission in ME2, that would be an epic fail on their part. A lot more jarring than it was with DA2 (though, in my case, apart from the Architect, everybody who was supposed to be dead was dead and vice versa).

Wonder if certain DLC decisions will be forced canon on players without them, or if the comic will be used to fill in the blanks.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Someone give spoilers from Arrival DLC because I have no idea what's it about. Too bad that they chose to advance the main storyline with DLCs but I guess that's the sign 'o times.

Shep kills half a million Batarians.

Mass Effect 3 details.

Good to see Mordin, Legion, Garrus and Wrex mentioned, I liked those characters. I figured Kasumi, Zaeed, Samara and Morinth would be reduced to emails or cameos, but I would bet on Miranda and Jacob being companions again.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Every class can use every weapon? This'll make classes a lot more fun, that's for sure.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Hm, shame the story depends on the DLC, but eh. Hopefully the returning ones do so in a fashion better than Ashely, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra