What are you playing now?

SteveThaiBinh

I'm really digging ArmA2 and if you like the original Operation Flashpoint, definitely try this game. the only big flaw is the not very good designed main campaign (Harvest Red), the story is pretty stupid to begin with, but that's normal for a shooter, moreso for a military simulation game. but the buggy missions... arrrg! keep getting stuck.

there's also some very questionable design choices, like a mission with a random chance of meeting the objective early on, thus forfeiting all secondaries on one hand, on the other (since the mission is timed) you can make it through and get all the secondaries but get unlucky and fail the primary...

I hope there's at least a ton of custom made campaigns for this game, the engine is fantastic

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

When I first fired up the ARMA2 demo I was struck how unfun this whole experience was. Nothing in this game was really polished or well executed, it was just one huge mess of amateur work.

But then again I don't like military themed shooters in general.

Must be tough, playing games you don't like.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

When I first fired up the ARMA2 demo I was struck how unfun this whole experience was. Nothing in this game was really polished or well executed, it was just one huge mess of amateur work.

But then again I don't like military themed shooters in general.

Must be tough, playing games you don't like.

Are you refering to Half.Life? That's not a military shooter.

it was just one huge mess of amateur work.

the thing about it is, it's pretty much the real war experience. the only difference is, you don't run and shoot yourself, instead you sit in the chair and keep clicking the mouse. but if you treat it right, it's a masterpiece.

of course, if you expect the Call of Duty experience from it, you're going to be sorely disappointed. and Bohemia did try to inject some of that CoD/BF feel into ArmA. that's the root of all the game's problems. c'mon. it's a sandbox game. the campaign suffers from the fact that you're very vulnerable at all times and your team is very small, facing hundreds of enemies (both infantry and light to heavy armor). of course they had to go heavy on scripted events to make the game fair towards the player.

I think this game is better suited for multiplayer. I've just watched a couple of videos of MP battles, it's unbelievable. Bohemia managed to combine RTS and tactical FPS, it actually works

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

haha, yeah, I often can't react in time, press the right button. one of my fingers is always on the "drop to the ground" button, saved my life a couple of times.

ACE makes it even more cumbersome, with 4 different ways to throw a grenade etc.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

Arma could be good, but too many missions failed because of crap you have no control over. So its basicly just randomness.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Arma could be good, but too many missions failed because of crap you have no control over. So its basicly just randomness.

That's pretty much every tactical shooter out there you have described

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

SWAT 4 was very predictable, I think (ah, I wish they had gotten the chance to release their zombie add-on)

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

That's pretty much every tactical shooter out there you have described

Nah, GR, R6 didn't have stuff like that. If you failed then you screwed up somehow. As for ARMA 2, I think I'll get a better PC before I try it again. Will be fun to play with the editor.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

heh, Rainbow 6 is still one of the best tactical games to date. as for Ghost Recon, it sure received a lot of praise. level design was ok, but everything else - meh

Walsingham said:

ME2 doesn't seem to have native gamepad support so hubby is trying FO3. Watching him struggle through the intro/tutorial section, I have a feeling he won't last long with that one.

Keep telling hubby he's obviously geared to be a console gamer (likes gamepads/hates keyboard-mouse, couch, big TV, action oriented) and should buy a console but so far he refuses. :thumbsup:

Myself...not playing anything. I think I'm 'gamed out' for a while.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm caught in that awkward "I want to play a game" yearning, but not actually in the mood to play any games.

Which probably makes no real sense but.. heh, at the moment I guess it's just the sit and wait to see if any new games in the near future inspire actual game playing moods.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm caught in that awkward "I want to play a game" yearning, but not actually in the mood to play any games.

Which probably makes no real sense but.. heh, at the moment I guess it's just the sit and wait to see if any new games in the near future inspire actual game playing moods.

I get it man, I get it. You are not alone :lol:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm caught in that "I bought too many games a couple of months ago, so why am I playing even older games I've already played before" situation.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My own computer is still locked up in storage (for almost a month now). There is only so much you can do on a work laptop with those intel display thingies :p

Ah well, at least EU III: Divine Wind runs on it.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Homeworld 2 is kicking my ass even if I cheat, this is getting brutal.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"