What are you playing now?

Tigranes

There's stuff like Silent Hill 2, Amnesia, Sanitarium, bits of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

It's not that kind of horror, but at least it's well done. Personally, I don't feel Dead Space is scary, just very stressful. ;(

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Ok, I feel that Doom 3 mastered the art of monster closets and it's been all downhill since then.

It's nice that some studios are still making psychological horror(as opposed to the aforementioned survival horror) games like Amnesia. Horror is one of those things that benefits greatly from the medium, but few games really take advantage of that.

Edited by Purkake

Finished my Fallout New Vegas game (first one) did the Independant ending. Ended up with a LOT of help against Ceaser but did blow up one of my helpers against Legate (CHRIS ****ING JUDGE!) Lenaius when I hit him with my rocket launcher. It was kinda awesome seeing everything run together at the end there.

Edited by Gorth
The language filter is there for a reason

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

There's stuff like Silent Hill 2, Amnesia, Sanitarium, bits of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

It's not that kind of horror, but at least it's well done. Personally, I don't feel Dead Space is scary, just very stressful. :ninja:

I never felt that Silent Hill 2 or CoC were scary, just excessively tense.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

silent hill 2 is my favorite horror game, but I, like purkake, am just glad that there are people who are trying to make scary and horrific games. I actually believe that in 20 years, the best horror experiences will be in games, not film or books.

oh and has anyone tried "The Path", its actually quite unnerving/scary at times.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I've got the Path. I never really found it scary, it's just really creep when you think about it. Some of the analysis for what it could mean are disturbing.

it is, but i just remember being really freaked out the first time I arrived at grandma's house, i had to force myself to proceed (its like those times when you're going to bed and you feel like something is lurking in your room or house and you know its impossible but you just can't shake the feeling)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

*enter room*

*see something fly away from the side of the screen*

*look around and can't find it*

CHIIIIIRP

*look around some more*

*must be gone*

chirp

I KNOW YOU'RE IN HERE!

*move forward*

HOWL

:)

Edited by Tale

I have never enjoyed horror elements in games. I use games to relax and distract myself from stress, and games that scare me increase stress rather than decrease it.

As for what I'm playing, I'm starting a new ME2 character. Between the time that has passed since I played through it (once, shortly after release), a different character class selection, and some of the new DLC, hopefully I won't burn out on the game mechanics like I did when I started a second character shortly after my first run.

Played a bit of Red Faction Guerilla. Definate improved over previous games and like Purk said, wrecking buildings is great fun. I also found out that my current 3,5 year old rig ain't good enough for the flying debrii so it's time to upgrade in near future. I have to put game on hold untill that. I installed Evil Genious from 2004 - I like the idea but execution could use improvement. Still too early to say if game get better as you get more room options to build and more varied minions.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I have never enjoyed horror elements in games. I use games to relax and distract myself from stress, and games that scare me increase stress rather than decrease it.

I like scary, but I know where you're coming from. There's a certain point in games where if the tension is too much for me, I'll just stop playing. I can think the game is great and think "must turn it on again" but never feel like dealing with that tension. :) A little suspense, cool...more than that, I'll pass on these days.

And I'm still playing NV an hour or two every couple days. I burned through a bit of Borderlands with a new chr. again, and that was kind of fun for a while. Currently thinking about reinstalling Dungeon Keeper2 on the XP machine again, so I can build pet dungeons. I felt like a dose after watching this trailer for the game Dungeons and

The trailer excited me, but the preview gameplay did not, so unsure whether I'm interested in this 'spiritual successor' to DK. But it did make me want to play DK2. Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I only just worked out yesterday evening that first tier console games cost 50 ****ing pounds! OK, that's not a full tank of petrol these days, but sweet jesus! Glad I have a PC. Even if my lodger won't relinquish the damn thing most evenings.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So what about Call of Cthulhu Dark: Corners of the Earth?

The part with the girl and her Deep One mother, the entire Shoggoth puzzle sequence & the Flying Polyps were very unsettling, the rest of the game is mostly tense due to badly implemented stealth & shooting. The drab voice-over didn't help much either.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Again, my comment was aimed at Wrath "never playing horror games".

Use the quote button. I have never played a horror game, probably should look into them. I do have a nightlight, so I'm all set.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Again, my comment was aimed at Wrath "never playing horror games".

Use the quote button. I have never played a horror game, probably should look into them. I do have a nightlight, so I'm all set.

Looking back, that does seem like a good idea.

Try Penumbra or Amnesia if you want to play some freaky stuff.

Although I do think. for the maximum scare effect.. Aliens Vs Predators 2, played with all lights in the room switched off..and the surround sound system on..

When you play as a Marine and you get that "skitter-skitter" sound from behind you...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Although I do think. for the maximum scare effect.. Aliens Vs Predators 2, played with all lights in the room switched off..and the surround sound system on..

When you play as a Marine and you get that "skitter-skitter" sound from behind you...

Damn I hated those ventilation shafts, first alien that suddenly attacked from behind in one scared the crap out of me.

I'm not into actual horror games, but one part why I love System Shock 2 and AvP2 is the uneasy feeling they manage to create.