What are you playing now?

Tigranes

I find Baldur's Gate better than its sequel, due to the low-level campaign and limited possibilities for exploration. I still remember the large amount of absurd encounters one could have in random places (for example, the child looking for his dog who turns out to be a shapeshifting demon, etc).

The boss fight against Sarevok is also much more compelling than Slayer-Irenicus, and almost impossible to win without cheesing. Not to mention Durlag Tower - best dungeon of all time.

I also think Irenicus is one of the most overrated videogame antagonists, pretty much the Sephiroth of western RPGs. A mage who tried to reach above his station, predictably failed and then went on a mad quest for revenge against the world. Yey.

I'll grant you that the underlying Irenicus/Bodhi story is disappointingly lame. But it is presented to the player in a quite effective way-- the first time one plays BG2, they keep progessing through the story largely because they want to know more about That Guy. In that manner, the mystary is more important than the content of its resolution is.

Again, I (subjectively) see negatives in what others cite as BG1's strengths. The boss fight was stupidly difficult for stupid reasons-- the twinked out sidekicks who Sarevok bunkered down with, who had no backstory or narrative explanation. I also hated Durlag's tower. Too long, too reliant on "creep forward 10 feet at a time and wait to see if you detect any traps" as the core gameplay experience, and too frustratingly difficult without the use of summoning-cheese tactics. I have never finished it.

durlags tower sounds like some of the dungeons from 70's D&D games (as I understand them anyway, i wasn't playing back then)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Dead Space 2 should arrive tomorrow. SQUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

Also Magicka is coming out. Anyone else interested in it? Seems like it would be fun co-op.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Dead Space 2 should arrive tomorrow. SQUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

Also Magicka is coming out. Anyone else interested in it? Seems like it would be fun co-op.

Saw an article on RPS (5 Mistakes to Avoid) on Magicka earlier and it looks like it could be a lot of fun with the right group of people.

Finished Red Faction. Now there's a game that defines the dark ages of FPS. Red Faction was released few years after Half-Life but developers didn't learn anything from it. Storyline, level design, magnetic "avoid the players crosshair" enemy AI, weapons... all worse then in similar games of that era (Alien vs. Predator 2, Max Payne, Operation Flashpoint, Return to Castle Wolfenstein). I'm really happy that I didn't buy this game back in the day. It's barely worth as historial curiousity from Steam holiday sales >_<

Oh and that geomod gimmick? I think I used it about 3 times. Talk about wasted potential.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Finished Red Faction. Now there's a game that defines the dark ages of FPS. Red Faction was released few years after Half-Life but developers didn't learn anything from it. Storyline, level design, magnetic "avoid the players crosshair" enemy AI, weapons... all worse then in similar games of that era (Alien vs. Predator 2, Max Payne, Operation Flashpoint, Return to Castle Wolfenstein). I'm really happy that I didn't buy this game back in the day. It's barely worth as historial curiousity from Steam holiday sales >_<

Oh and that geomod gimmick? I think I used it about 3 times. Talk about wasted potential.

The first one was kinda stupid, but 2 made a lot more use of the geo-mod tech (although was much shorter) and Guerilla was just incredible!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

And Red Faction 2 is done. It was even worse then Red Faction :)

At least it was over quickly, because this game might be the worst FPS I've ever played. Ugh... Red Faction Guerrilla is next on the list. Hopefully it's better then previous games. I wonder how Red Faction brad even managed to survive after horrible 2nd game.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

At least it was over quickly, because this game might be the worst FPS I've ever played. Ugh... Red Faction Guerrilla is next on the list. Hopefully it's better then previous games. I wonder how Red Faction brad even managed to survive after horrible 2nd game.

Because stubborn people continued to play them through to completion, I suppose. Not that I'm saying you are stubborn, no, definitely not. :)

If you won't like Guerrilla either, you may just have to accept that you hate fun. There's just something about destroying things piece by piece and eventually watching them collapse thats hardwired into everyone.

Edited by Purkake

Because stubborn people continued to play them through to completion, I suppose. Not that I'm saying you are stubborn, no, definitely not. :)

Bought all 3 off Gamers Gate a while ago. Played 1 & 2 way back in the past. I really liked 1 at the time, but 2 was hate at first sight. Small linear levels, like an effin corridor shooter. Still hope I find the time some day to play Guerilla.

Edit to add: It has to work hard to beat X-Com 3 and JA2 for sheer destructible environment fun.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It almost did. It took them 7 years to hit us with Guerilla after RF2, and they basically forgot RF2 existed and only barely mentioned RF1.

Although RF2 did get mostly positive reviews (on the ps2, PC got reviews that were pretty bad).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Red Faction Guerilla is a good game. I got a free copy for purchasing Darksiders. It was great.

Oh, and as for what I'm playing. I finished Dead Space Ignition last night in preparation for Dead Space 2. Apparently it unlocks a suit.

But here's the thing. After playing it, I'm not sure I want Dead Space's humanity to survive. I don't think they're worthy. Unleash the necromorphs on earth, I say. Seriously, #@@#% that ending.

Edited by Tale

I thought red faction and red faction 2 were well above average console shooters, not as good as perfect dark, and obviously (laughably) not on the same level as FPS games on PC, but for a console game they were decently fun (at the time, I imagine they would be like torture now).

edit: whoa, totally random news, but right at this moment the amount of movies I have rated on netflix is 1337. I'm such a badass har har har.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Technically I've got my first run throughs of Fear 2, Dead Space and Borderlands on the go...

Although for some reason I just haven't felt in the mood to play any for about 4 or 5 days now.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

currently im playing

1. baldurs gate 2

2. borderlands

3. dead space 2

4. castlevania: Circle of the Moon

So now I'm playing Dead Space 2. Liking it so far. Oh, and that first guy who died? Spoiler from Ignition.

When he dies, cheer. He deserves it.

Doesn't seem changed to me. Stasis recharges on its own, but slowly. Don't really recall that it did that before. Maybe you move faster now, but I can't say that you do.

There seems to be greater variety to necromorphs. Even just visually.

Other impressions. The game is a lot darker. I don't mean "dark and edgy" I mean "can't see ****, captain." Oftentimes all you see is what you're pointing your weapon at. Not all the time, but there are segments. I don't really remember DS1 ever actually doing that.

The change to zero grav seems to be a good one.

Edited by Tale

I don't know how to answer that. Video game horror revolves around monster closets with intermissions of blood stained empty rooms and ominous music. That's pretty much the "actual horror stuff" of the genre.

Edited by Tale