The day irony died

Monte Carlo

Julian, you just don't get it, do you?

From a UK tabloid:

WIKILEAKS founder Julian Assange was a step closer to being freed yesterday - but failed in a cheeky bid to keep his bail address secret.

The Australian whistleblower won a hearing to be released from jail to stay at a friend's luxury mansion while waiting to fight an extradition bid.

His lawyer Geoffrey Robinson QC argued that to reveal its location would infringe his right to PRIVACY. But laughter rang out round London's Horseferry Road Magistrates' Court as District Judge Howard Riddle said not to disclose it would fly in the face of 39-year-old Assange's own philosophy of open justice.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Some things are only fun when it happens to others :x

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

[Assange] "at risk from unstable persons"; no bail

Lol nutbars, here's his address

The United States is committed to working in partnership with members of the media, the private sector, non-governmental organizations and other concerned governments to defend freedom of expression and the brave journalists who are persecuted for exercising it on the challenging new terrain of the 21st century.

Oh my god, people will diiieeeee

Nobody has died

Oh my god national security disssaaaasssttttter

Nothing significant there

Ah irony, it's more infectious than 'flu.

*sigh* ...6 posts, and it's hijacked right back to... America.

Paranoid much?

Instead of moaning about other people's anti-Americanism, I'd instead be worried of how your country is perceived by foreigners.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I find it amusing that people have made statements that this guy is a threat to natl security etc etc and the republican party has decided that he's an enemy of the state which has probably gotten every redneck in the lower 48 sayin "if that thar guy wuz here, I'da done kilt 'im!"

And these guys are gonna say "here, have him, here's where he is, do you want his normal schedule too?"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Paranoid much?

Instead of moaning about other people's anti-Americanism, I'd instead be worried of how your country is perceived by foreigners.

Absolutely. Racism has nothing to do with it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Would be somewhat amusing if some nutjob does off him as unlikely as that is. Naturally it'll have been the CIA that did it. But he's expendable anyway, the organization and site doesn't need him, so no loss.

Well one is usually the other. Is up here anyway, but Canadians have a cute inferiority complex, heh.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Paranoid much?

Stop being such a baby, a healthy dose of skepticism is in order towards the worlds only remaining superpower. When it comes to national imperatives and foreign policy we don't have to all get along. In fact we are guaranteed not to. Wikileaks might well be irresponsible, but they would cease to have a point if they held anything back, and it's still the 'little man' vs the system. Get your priorities straight, fight the power and all that.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Paranoid much?

Stop being such a baby, a healthy dose of skepticism is in order towards the worlds only remaining superpower. When it comes to national imperatives and foreign policy we don't have to all get along. In fact we are guaranteed not to. Wikileaks might well be irresponsible, but they would cease to have a point if they held anything back, and it's still the 'little man' vs the system. Get your priorities straight, fight the power and all that.

And I raise you an adolescent rebellion fantasy. :( Skepticism about US motives is perfectly sound and proper. If you go outside the law - democratic law - you aren't fighing the power. You're fighting the people.

As for holding nothing back, just listen to yourself. I've been sparring with you for far too long to believe you buy that bull****. Secrecy is essential to certain actions. It is essential in opposed actions such as crime, terror or war. It is essential to achieve open honest negotiation between organisations. It is essential to ordinary people who have a right to privacy and security.

This is precisely and emphatically the point of the original post. Assange and wikileaks aren't fighting for open information. They're breaking the law to push their own marginal view of the world onto everyone. It's a view some people support, but it's a view which most people either don't or really wouldn't like in action.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And I raise you an adolescent rebellion fantasy. :) Skepticism about US motives is perfectly sound and proper. If you go outside the law - democratic law - you aren't fighing the power. You're fighting the people.
Yes, hmm, there has never been any positive social change achieved through extralegal methods. What is civil disobedience? Durr, I'm Walsingham, and I honestly believe that American politicians represent the American public's interests.
As for holding nothing back, just listen to yourself. I've been sparring with you for far too long to believe you buy that bull****. Secrecy is essential to certain actions. It is essential in opposed actions such as crime, terror or war. It is essential to achieve open honest negotiation between organisations. It is essential to ordinary people who have a right to privacy and security.
While I definitely understand how secrecy is essential to simultaneously murdering Iraqi civilians and maintaining public support for the Iraq war, I have a more difficult time seeing how that is a positive thing.

If being against the kidnapping and torturing of innocent German citizens is being against the people, I might be okay with that.

Of course, being that I am part of "the people" does that mean I'm against myself?

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

And these guys are gonna say "here, have him, here's where he is, do you want his normal schedule too?"

You mean exactly like he's doing with classified documents? Weird.

What? you referring to the stuff he leaked at first that was said to be "not new information"?

If you go outside the law - democratic law - you aren't fighing the power. You're fighting the people.

No. Apartheid was a democratic law, too? Sometimes a law, while at face value democratic, can be something totally different.

I pretty much subscribe to this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...acy-open-letter

And: "democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Winston Churchill

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

You mean exactly like he's doing with classified documents? Weird.

What? you referring to the stuff he leaked at first that was said to be "not new information"?

What are you even talking about? You are complaining that his whereabouts should not be released as that could endanger him when thats exactly the same thing hes doing by releasing 260,000 classified documents. Hence the thread laughing and pointing at him for trying to protect "his" data. Get it yet?

I suppose if you find putting people in danger funny, laugh. But the thing is that at least the guys in the combat zone who you swear are being put in danger when I've yet to see anyone say "LOOK WIKILEAKS MADE THIS ATTACK POSSIBLE!" are being paid to... wait for it... be put in danger. He isn't.

Basically Zoraptor kinda summed up my ideas earlier.

Honestly, wikileaks shows just how far the news media has fallen when they run by the party line rather than try to dig up their own information, like this for example:

I suppose if you find putting people in danger funny, laugh. But the thing is that at least the guys in the combat zone who you swear are being put in danger when I've yet to see anyone say "LOOK WIKILEAKS MADE THIS ATTACK POSSIBLE!" are being paid to... wait for it... be put in danger. He isn't.

Except that's not strictly true.

The information leaked named good deal of civilians as well.

Except that's not strictly true.

The information leaked named good deal of civilians as well.

And yet it has been said that there have been no civilian repercussions if the names WERE in fact released.