Dragon Age 2

Nepenthe

oh god. there's so much blood on the floor under her... that's usually the result of a dead body, that had been lying for hours, not two people fighting. it does like like anime, only the more morbid type.

You'd be surprised how much blood could splatter with the body being actually no where near death.

oh god. there's so much blood on the floor under her... that's usually the result of a dead body, that had been lying for hours, not two people fighting. it does like like anime, only the more morbid type.

That's pretty much the same way DA1 handled blood. Only it couldn't get it on the floor, so it was just all over characters.

I turned the blood splatter off in DA:O. I thought it looked silly.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

To chime up in agreement, the blood splatter in DA:O was so over the top in places I laughed out loud. However, the game was so fun I can't imagine that I wouldn't enjoy DA2 if it has the same look, feel, and gameplay.

The screenies in MC's post (#92 of this thread) look pretty much like DA:O. The artwork isn't bad either. The frieze has a certain classical feel to it. Not really competition for the Elgin Marbles, but it does convey a peculiar sort of Greco-Roman/medieval atmosphere. It even gives a certain vibe of grandiosity on par with nazi architecture prior to WW2.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

That's pretty much the same way DA1 handled blood. Only it couldn't get it on the floor, so it was just all over characters.

oh, I must have had it turned off. characters covered in blood from head to toes do look silly :shifty:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

If they bothered to include finishing animations where you'd sever a limb or lop off a head, those amounts of blood would make sense. Action games like Dark Messiah & Blade of Darkness did it right.

Still, the blood wasn't as silly as that slow-mo kill animation where a heavily armoured fighter would jump two metres into the air to stab a maul (yes, a maul) into an Ogre.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Okay, but you have to admit that's a painful way to die. I mean, stabbed to death with a maul? Holy crap, don't want to piss that guy off.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Okay, but you have to admit that's a painful way to die. I mean, stabbed to death with a maul? Holy crap, don't want to piss that guy off.

Actually after the first 2 or 3 stabs (or one depending where it hits) adrenaline and pain shock responses will dull the pain and all that he feels is the bleeding. Unless you hit him to the head, death ensued in 12 sec approx.

Don't you feel better knowing he won't suffer.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

some o' the same folks complaining 'bout da art is the same folks who applaud or ignore age o' decadence art.

*shrug*

we've been down this road before. Different expectations and so forth about what developers can do with the resources they have. It may not be "fair", but success breeds expectations.

but expectations do not in any way alter the quality of a game.

ferrari decides to builds a four-door sedan. is a nice car with okie dokie gas mileage, but nothing special. underwhelming considering is ferrari who designed. costs $25,000.

the national society for peoples with down syndrome builds a four-door sedan... have actual downs syndrome patients build the car. is 'bout 7 years behind the design curve... not as reliable or gas efficient as the ferrari, but is kinda an amazing accomplishment when you consider who built it. costs $25,000.

no matter how impressed you is by the down syndrome car, you cannot objective say that their car is better... and we bet you wouldn't attempt to do so. claim that is more impressive that folks with so little did so much? sure, but you ain't gonna try and convince anybody that the 5-7 seven year out-of-date car is superior or better than the ferrari.

the argument o' alan and others were ridiculous when it were made. fact that we has been down this road before not change how idiotic were the original path some chose to take. tell us you is underwhelmed by bio efforts is fine. but the expectations argument...

bunk.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I couldn't care less about DA2 and I couldn't care less about Bio's new game, which looks ME orientated (and I couldn't care less about ME either)....

But before you say "but why are you posting in this thread you dolt?" I will admit to being utterly intrigued by the game they make after that.

The design curve of Bioware games over the past ten years has been fascinating if you are interested in the industry. For me, Bioware has become like that chick who writes emo vampire fiction - I hate the content but I'm fascinated by what's going on under the hood.

Bio's next fantasy RPG, after the DA cycle is complete, will be either brilliant or dreck. It will be an existential battle between the forces of good and emo. :(

sonsofgygax.JPG

"For me, Bioware has become like that chick who writes emo vampire fiction"

we has used a very much similar descriptor for recent bio writing attempts. am not gonna comment on the quality o' their games as a whole, but their stories (particularly the characters in bio stories) is very reminiscent o' the hackneyed faux-angst teenage vampire piffle. have observed that bio should serious consider doing a teen vampire game so as to fully take advantage o' their writing talents.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am understanding how difficult it is to make a crpg joinable npc compelling; there just isn't enough lines o' text available to the writers to makes characters live and breathe. obsidian has taken a slightly different approach and gone with the Unique Concept angle on jnpcs. makes a color-blind angel paladin/priest with a crisis o' conscience and you is halfway to compelling already, no? no. bio has focused more on creating Drama in character backgrounds or quests. 'course, without necessary time/text to develop, the Drama seems forced. rushed, and juvenile. am getting the problem... am recognizing the difficulty.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

@grommie:

I agree that expectations do not alter the quality of the game but they do change how people see the reasons to play the game.

No one is expecting a game from Iron Tower to compete in either graphics or presentation with a Bioware game, but they may be expecting it to be better in writing, gameplay mechanics, chocie and consequence, or whatever. Not saying personally that it is any of those things, but people would be looking at the game to offer different strengths that the by now very-generic Bioware version of the rpg.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

@grommie:

I agree that expectations do not alter the quality of the game but they do change how people see the reasons to play the game.

No one is expecting a game from Iron Tower to compete in either graphics or presentation with a Bioware game, but they may be expecting it to be better in writing, gameplay mechanics, chocie and consequence, or whatever. Not saying personally that it is any of those things, but people would be looking at the game to offer different strengths that the by now very-generic Bioware version of the rpg.

IF that had been the argument made by the iron throne supporters, there never woulda' been any debate over expectations v. quality.

HA! Good Fun!

Saying Bioware's graphics are better than AOD is like saying some mediocre modern movie looks better than Snow White because it's more realistic. AOD graphics are superior to Bioware's if only because Bioware's graphics are nauseating, no matter how shiny they try to make them.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

What the hell is AOD? I don't think the graphics were bad in Dragon Age. The graphics in NWN were kind of bad in that everything seemed to have this bluish tinge. That was true of NWN2 for me to some degree, though, so maybe it's just me. I thought some of the scenes and some of the characters in Dragon Age were beautiful.

Obsidian Plays

'Aveline Vallen is a soldier, a master of sword and shield, and a tireless guardian... to a point. The daughter of an exiled chevalier, Aveline is not the knight her father wished her to be. Although fully trained in chivalrous combat, she was raised in the shadow of a lost life and will not lose another for the sake of honor. Protecting her adopted home of Kirkwall becomes a chosen duty, not a privileged calling. The people she stands for will not be wasted on lost causes or protecting the foolish from themselves. Pride can be bandaged like any other wound
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Age of Decadence. Indie turn-based Fallout-like game set in a post-apocalyptic Roman empire kind of world. Not sure why Grommy mentioned it. And yeah, its graphics suck.

as we noted, we saw that in this thread that many o' those persons criticizing da2 graphics were individuals we recollected as defending or excusing aod graphics. such self-contradiction struck us as dishonest.

HA! Good Fun!

1. What's the DA team obsession with gingers?

Kind of noticed the same thing in The Witcher.

Maybe it's a RPG-Dev thing?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee