FO: NV (General Discussion)

ugh, I didn't even have a safe house. got through 80 hours of play without one and did fine -_-

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

P.S. I hear sometimes he can be bugged, tho.

Oh, and @ Thorton_AP, there's the one quest that uses tin cans...so I stick those in a container too. lol.

If it's a repair quest, I just do it with a repair skill, or move on. I think it's cool that tin cans can be used in a quest or recipies and stuff, but there's enough of them that I won't bother hoarding them. At the same time, I have no issues skipping a quest that has me do stuff like that if it's not something my character is interested in doing.

Same here. Any quest that depends on gathering samples of the 87 different flavors of shelf-clutter in the gameworld is one that I ignore entirely.

I've been keeping my stuff in the NoVac motel room. Guns in the footlocker, Ammo/explosives in the safe, apparel in the cabinet, and everything else in the fridge. It's close to a fast travel point and to a merchant. I don't do much crafting (little more than recycling energy ammo), so the only thing it's missing is a fresh water source. I usually stop for a drink at Helios One after spending a night there.

I use Novac as well. It has two crafting benches nearby too. Making ammo is fun for me in a weird sort of way too -_-

And I do the same organization with my weapons and whatnot. Though I keep guns and ammo together. When I return to base to rearm, a bit of me feels like the Terminator or something (hey he was in a hotel room too! :p)

I haven't seen any repair quests that can't be rigged up without parts at a high enough repair skill, so that's what I do. Boomers quest, the food processor, the robot (which uses science or repair), elevators and the like. I think Obsids did a good job of making every skill useful in the game depending on style. The one exception is Survival. If Hardcore were more hardcore in terms of preparing food, it would be more important. As it is, you don't ever need food and the best food I've come accross, something Rose's Wasteland Omelet, requires too much stuff. I don't mind doing some WoW style gathering, but carrying around tons of preware food to make stuff that could potentially make the game marginally easier just doesn't do it for me.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

There's no doubt that it can be made to work for you. I just see it as not having as high an effort to benefit ratio. I mean, yeah, eat one of those deathclaw omelets and you're regenerating some serious health. That's true even with a modest Survival, which is what I have. I tell you what, if survival made you need *significantly* less water, I might take it so I didn't have to haul around as much water or fast travel back to a water source as often.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

To be honest, after my first character, I've never ever added any skillpoints to my survival skill. It just wasn't needed, even on hardcore mode. I find so much food and water, that it really is no problem, if one gecko steak doesn't fill up my food and H20 bar 100%.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

My first character was survival, too. It's pretty much only useful for animal related perks. There's way too much food to scavenge as it is. You'll get more meat just by killing random creatures that cross your path than you'll ever need to eat.

Of course, this does make it useful if you're intending to make profit selling food. I think it does increase value.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I use Novac as well. It has two crafting benches nearby too. Making ammo is fun for me in a weird sort of way too :p

And I do the same organization with my weapons and whatnot. Though I keep guns and ammo together. When I return to base to rearm, a bit of me feels like the Terminator or something (hey he was in a hotel room too! :p)

just posting to say this is an awesome terminator reference. I totally understood what you meant immediately.

:p

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I think Survival's mainly for a certain type of player who really enjoys going out and gathering stuff. Survival is not *needed*, just like other skills aren't needed either.

My second character raised it up to the 80s or so. The benefits of some of the food items can be very good, especially at higher levels, which is probably the main draw. It's a very good alternative to medicine, with some alternative uses as well. Only thing is that I wish it had gotten some more use in dialogues, where Medicine shines a lot more in comparison.

But yeah, I'm not really a gatherer per say so I found the addition of Survival to be not that exciting overall unfortunately.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

P.S. I hear sometimes he can be bugged, tho.

Oh, and @ Thorton_AP, there's the one quest that uses tin cans...so I stick those in a container too. lol.

If it's a repair quest, I just do it with a repair skill, or move on. I think it's cool that tin cans can be used in a quest or recipies and stuff, but there's enough of them that I won't bother hoarding them. At the same time, I have no issues skipping a quest that has me do stuff like that if it's not something my character is interested in doing.

It was a Contreras related side quest from that guy who stands near the bench of the robot-run shop. I wanted This Machine and the non-tin can option w/Isaac required 80 in either speech or barter.

And I also use Novac hotel as my storage. Lucky38 seems like too much trouble to get to, and all I need is 3-4 containers. It feels more private (hehe) and like it's "mine" too. Plus I didn't side with House and I think eventually you can't send your guys to 38 if you go against him?

Also, am curious...the wiki mentions that waiting/fired companions in the Lucky 38 will sometimes "take" food items away, eg such items disappear. Occasionally from their inventory, too, if you have them carry such stuff for you. Has anyone actually noticed this happen? Wonder if it's a bug or by design.

Re:survival - I am a packrat and often like alchemy in other games, but Survival/cooking has no motivation for me even so. There's nothing from it I'd want or need. So I pick herbs (early on) if I run by it and sell them, but that's it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tin cans are so common that there's at least one place you can go to that has 100 cans by itself. You don't really need to stockpile.

If you didn't have the option to have him join you, are you sure you did the quest right? I wasn't aware he cared about your NCR rep.

Smiling troublemaker is apparently a positive reputation.

Boone definitely cares about your NCR rep. But I think you have to get to the 'you are hated' level before he starts warning you. Smiling Troublemaker isn't an issue tho. He'll also confront you if you kill too many NCR soldiers, w/the usual confrontation options.

Gorgon, sounds like Boone recruit quest might be bugged. As long as you found the 'evidence' and used the right person, aren't hated by NCR etc., he should be willing to join.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tin cans are so common that there's at least one place you can go to that has 100 cans by itself. You don't really need to stockpile.

I know that, but when I start a new game, since I know of the quest, I may as well pick them early on and then I don't have to think about it later. :p

Is there a use for all the radioactive rockets in Novac, beyond using them as Rock-It-Launcher ammo?

As an alternative fuel for some rocket in an early quest.

That and as gifts to kids later on in the game.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

That and as gifts to kids later on in the game.

haha, this is just pure evil! :lol: I just remembered there was a named item, some toy truck. I couldn't figure out what it was for.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

As long as they don't drink it, they'll be fine.

It's a very good alternative to medicine, with some alternative uses as well. Only thing is that I wish it had gotten some more use in dialogues, where Medicine shines a lot more in comparison.

This is really where I was going before. It's not that I'm 'dissing' survival. It's just that it doesn't seem to have much of an effect outside of crafting. On the other hand, there is at least... one place? Maybe more? where I could use survival.

Obsidian Plays

Some guy rambles about homosexuality in New Vegas: http://news.filefront.com/homosexuality-an...-in-gay-heaven/

Even though the article is a bit, yeah... rambling, I do agree with what he says.

That article makes some great points. Leave it to Obsidian to not handle this stuff like a 12-year old boy.