Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

It maybe a bit late for most but a movie that really makes me think of the Fallout universe The Road.....ok without the humor though.

It made me think of Fallout as well, but a fallout universe taking it's premise from the melancholy of our times instead.. it's just so unrelentingly depressing - important film though. :)

Fortune favors the bald.

The Road was memorable. I like it when films aren't all happy happy...if they're done well, and that one definitely was. That film & A History of Violence were enough to convince me Viggo Mortensen could actually act outside of the bigger-than-life fame of LoTR.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Road was memorable. I like it when films aren't all happy happy...if they're done well, and that one definitely was. That film & A History of Violence were enough to convince me Viggo Mortensen could actually act outside of the bigger-than-life fame of LoTR.

I actually was convinced in GI Jane, but I still think that Easter Promises was his best.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I actually was convinced in GI Jane, but I still think that Easter Promises was his best.

He's got a pretty huge range as well. I mean, yes, he always plays intense and all that, but he has nailed quite a few different accents.

Some of us didn't know he existed before LoTR... :p

Didn't know who he was when I saw GI Jane ages ago and don't like that movie enough to rewatch it. Hildago was unimpressive to me. I think I thought Appaloosa was decent but for some reason all I remember from that movie is Ed Harris (one of my faves)...haven't seen Eastern Promises.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

He was quite good in the role of Lucifer back in the first Prophecy.

Of course, that was a blink and you could miss it role .. especially when up against the intensity of Christopher Walken stealing scenes..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It maybe a bit late for most but a movie that really makes me think of the Fallout universe The Road.....ok without the humor though.

The Road, at least the novel, was an inspiration for Bethesda's Fallout 3. I could feel it when last I played.

It's a great movie.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I bought Despicable Me and The Social Network on BD this weekend. The first is hilarious. I haven't laughed so hard in quite some time. The Social Network I only bought because the OST is pretty damn great. Though, it's quite interesting to have a general idea of how Facebook was born. As a movie it wasn't that bad either.

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

Paul

Plenty of in-geek pop culture references littered throughout. A serious amount of in-jokes. Although I think most of the actual "alien" dialogue felt weak compared to the normal banter.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a handful of DVD's in a bout of boredom. One of them was the 'feature length' pilot for Caprica.

Not as bad as I had expected, considering what I've heard about it. Found it quite enjoyable actually, as long as I managed to forget that it was supposed to fit into Galactica continuity (which it doesn't).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've been watching the first season of Breaking Bad. This show, simply put, is amazing.

yep it's pretty good

i just got round to starting Sons of Anarchy

seems okay so far, and it has Ron Perlman, so clearly it must be good :shifty:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Saw Winter's Bone recently. Not to sound too cold-hearted or anything, but.. what was so special about it? It's gotten full scores in almost every review I've read, but I thought it was just another ordinary, slightly depressing, movie. I went to see it with a bunch of friends and they all thought it was one of the best movies they've ever seen. I feel left out of something but I don't know what!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Watched Rango. Me and my girlfriend were the only ones in the theater so that was pretty fun.

It was awesome, especially when

Clint Eastwood/Man with no name

showed up.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Caught Battlefield Los Angeles (the hollywood one, not the SyFy mockubuster version).

Entertaining for what it was. Faithfully visited the tropes with enough panache to satisfy without being bad.

Not a lot of bloody violence, but an awful lot of sudden death. Some quite nice moments of tension as they move from point A to point B.. and then the sudden burst of Alien attention and another member of the squad dies.

Throw in a couple of the requisite "speech in the middle of combat / in the pause between combats" accompanied by heroic music to re-affirm the nature of Marines.

But yes, if you enjoy that style of movie, it's firmly in the good watching category.

finally got round to watching Star Trek

shiny and new, but still the same old deus ex machina that the tv shows stuffed down your throat every episode :thumbsup:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

127 Hours - not quite what I was expecting (tho I'm not sure what I was expecting, really). About as good as a movie centered around a chr. who can't move might be. Watchable/kinda interesting, not much more than that.

HBO was playing GI Jane yesterday so I forced myself to watch it for Viggo. His role isn't that large and while he had a few moments, it didn't feel that impressive to me. But it's possible my dislike for the film in general gets in the way no matter what. Not to mention those unflattering shorts.

Just watched the first two episodes of Pioneer One. It's interesting and worth a watch, if terribly slow in pacing.

I'm getting into indie movies/shows that are using Bittorrent as the official distribution channel. Next up is Zenith. The Tunnel is supposed to get a release in a couple of months.

Edited by Tale

Ended up watching Freeman's Mind. It's a Let's Play style machinima of Half-Life: Source with the guy talking as Gordon the entire time. He talks a little too much, but I'm finding it hilarious.