Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

Sucker Punch wasn't that bad, IMO.

I don't think its what many people wanted it to be.

And then there's the unreliable narrator / "what is real or not real" questions that I figured would turn people off.

I figure that anyone that went to see Suckerpunch because of the plot is an idiot and/or will be turned off.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The Troll Hunter, Norwegian film.

One of those hand cam, "based on a true story" Blair Witch type films. I haven't finished it yet but so far its pretty interesting.

I can recommend the new SF by the creator of "Moon" - "Source Code". It should be in cinemas now, and if the director's first effort anything to go by its probably pretty good.

Also, "Paul" sci-fi comedy by the creators of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. They say its pretty good.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Saw Insidious over the weekend. Pretty solid, scary Haunted House film.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

And then there's the unreliable narrator / "what is real or not real" questions that I figured would turn people off.

I figure that anyone that went to see Suckerpunch because of the plot is an idiot and/or will be turned off.

There's not a problem with the plot of Sucker Punch, IMO.

I think there is a problem that the ads make it seem like a weirdo alternate reality action film but that's not what it is.

But I thought the plot worked.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think there is a problem that the ads make it seem like a weirdo alternate reality action film but that's not what it is.

All I know is that aside from Legends of the Guardians plot isn't Zack Snyder strong suit.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

All I know is that aside from Legends of the Guardians plot isn't Zack Snyder strong suit.

Sucker Punch is the only one of his movies not based on something else.

Dawn of the Dead - based on previous movie

300 - based on Frank Miller's comic

Watchmen - based on Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' comic

Legends of the Guardians - based on book

He did the screenplay to 300 and Sucker Punch (from an original idea).

The quintessential Zack Snyder movie: lots of gore, nudity, some emotive completely irrational excuse for a plot and everything is shot through a blue or yellow filter. Seriously though someone introduce that man to the rest of the color spectrum.

Maybe he is actually good at telling a story but it's not what I've seen from his films and not what I've come to expect from him. He is very visual with his treatment of a story, sometimes it works like in Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead and or Legend of the Guardians. Unfortunately he is better know for what its his substandard work.

village_idiot.gif

Apparently Snyder might lose his gig directing the new Superman franchise off the back of this disaster.

I hope the whole comic-book / geek influnenced direction of big popcorn movies dies down for a bit, let the gene pool refresh.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The quintessential Zack Snyder movie: lots of gore, nudity, some emotive completely irrational excuse for a plot and everything is shot through a blue or yellow filter. Seriously though someone introduce that man to the rest of the color spectrum.

No gore or nudity in Sucker Punch - maybe that's why it hasn't been a success?

Maybe he is actually good at telling a story but it's not what I've seen from his films and not what I've come to expect from him. He is very visual with his treatment of a story, sometimes it works like in Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead and or Legend of the Guardians. Unfortunately he is better know for what its his substandard work.

Er...you say his visual storytelling style sometimes works, then give examples of three of the five films he's directed as examples of this. But somehow claim he's better known for his substandard work...

...but 300 was a hit money wise (earning about 7 times what it cost to make), so are you basically saying that because Sucker Punch "didn't work" that's all he known for now?

I'm confused. :(

Edited by Amentep

Er...you say his visual storytelling style sometimes works, then give examples of three of the five films he's directed as examples of this. But somehow claim he's better known for his substandard work...

...but 300 was a hit money wise (earning about 7 times what it cost to make), so are you basically saying that because Sucker Punch "didn't work" that's all he known for now?

I'm confused. :)

I'm speaking purely out of those films direction, not their earnings. The film suckerpunch was marketed as from the director of Watchmen and 300 because of their popularity, outside of a following and those knowledgeable of comics he isn't known. I doubt that just one bad movie will be the ruin of him, specially since he has had such a profitable run; hell M. Night Shaymalan still gets work. But I would like to see him develop a style as director beyond filming blue and orange action flicks, because he really is a good director.

Edited by Orogun01

village_idiot.gif

I finally got around to seeing Battle: Los Angeles this past weekend and I really enjoyed it. I didn't bother with any of the reviews for it but I heard it got trashed pretty heavily and I think a few people on here hated it as well. For me it was great though and pretty much exactly what I was expecting, it was a battle against aliens in LA. The Marine angle also helped a bit in my enjoyment as I thought they did a really good job portraying most things accurately even though a couple things did bother me like how they kept saying F-O-B instead of fob and how the lead was only a Staff Sergeant after 20 years of decorated service.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I checked out The King's Speech last Friday and really enjoyed it. The best bromance I've seen for years. Colin Firth was wonderful in his role as King George VI, and Geoffrey Rush did his part extremely well despite looking like a badass villain as he always does. There's just something about him that makes him so villain-y all the time.

The American

Slow-burn, thoughtful thriller with George Clooney as an assassin hiding out in rural Italy. I liked the setting, the slow pace, the twist in the tale. A classic example of show-don't-tell movie making.

Unstoppable

Crash-bang-wallop runaway train thriller directed by Tony Scott with the ever-dependable Denzel Washington (I love Denzel, I really do). A popcorn movie but, hey, an old-fashioned strangely low-tech thriller (it's about locomotives, right? Even the map in the control room has little bulbs on it rather than a Gucci plasma screen) is a nice change and there are no guns or terrorists. It's also just the right length.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I love Denzel, I really do

Everyone loves Denzel.

I just hate his agent.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

OK, I know I've had a drink or three but I'm sure that wasn't the reason Legion was so bonkers.

The movie starts with fallen angel Paul Bettany (that's right, I thought he was a serious ac-tor too) landing in a heap in L.A. the day before Christmas Eve. It's raining, and he's hiding behind a dustbin and it's a complete homage to the start of Terminator, but these movie school brats were in nappies in 1984 so they think they're being clever. To prove the point Paul (actually he is the Angel Michael but that's not important right now) cuts his angelic wings off with a knife, then sews up the wounds a la John Rambo in First Blood (which was in 1982, when these movie school brats were actually swimming around in pa's ballsack).

Not to waste time, Paul wanders into a toy factory and finds... A HI-TECH ARMOURY (which references the "Guns...lots of guns" line uttered by Neo in the first Matrix Movie, hey these movie school brats were probably making their first movies on camcorders by then and applying for film school).

Anyhoo God has had enough of the human race and is sending a strange apocalyptic... ZOMBIE INFESTATION (it's meant to be demonic but trust me it pillages every zombie meme going).

I could go on, but FFS they all end up in a diner in the desert run by Dennis Quaid (Why, Dennis? WHY?). There's a pregnant chick who's gonna drop the new messiah and the demon / zombie / apocalyptic servants of God want to kill it. I know, it really is as bad as it sounds and it's a shame because with his eerie good looks, cut glass accent and lanky build Paul Bettany is a surprisingly good action hero. He could do James Bond easily.

Anyway at this point the movie turns into an ersatz version of The Mist (2007, these guys have no excuse). Random people trapped in diner have drama defending themselves from horrific phenomenon.

Then (FFS!) the angel Gabriel (this film is nothing if not completely blasphemous, Organised Religion fans) appears dressed like Brian Blessed as Prince Vultan appears with an electric mace and kills everybody trying to slay the baby. Paul and Gabriel used to hang out in heaven and were buddies but it all went wrong. :: sigh :: Paul dies (sad face).

Yadda yadda, Dennis Quaid blows up the diner and kills the zombies, Prince Vultan jumps on a car and it crashes but then there's another fight (if Glenn Close had large feathery angel wings this really could be the last twenty minutes of Fatal Attraction) but at the vital moment PAUL RETURNS WITH HIS WINGS and spares Gabriel before flying off to heaven (I know, you think I'm making this stuff up, don't you?).

The mom and her erstwhile not-quite-boyfriend drive off into a survivalist sunset with the messiah gurgling happily. Their station wagon is full of guns.

I finished my drink, completely gob-smacked and not a little impressed that somebody had pitched this nonsense and got it funded. Although this film is awful, I mean really, really bad I still implore you to watch it. It's so bonkers I want somebody else to post about it so I can relax in the knowledge I didn't imagine it all.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

snip

You didn't, now come back when you are a poor sob that got dragged into the theater to watch that horror film.

Sorry I meant to say horrible film.

village_idiot.gif

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Yawn, next.

Been refining my sci fi list, a sort of "best of the best" thing that I would recommend to someone with too little time to watch dozens of movies:

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Saw Source Code, from the Moon guy. Good stuff, quite sci-fi-y with some other interesting elements thrown in. Recommended.

Good. I wanted to love Moon, with its cerebral sci fi approach that just doesn't happen these days but I couldn't. I liked the direction though, so I'm quite interested in Source Code.

logosig2.jpg

Saw Source Code, from the Moon guy. Good stuff, quite sci-fi-y with some other interesting elements thrown in. Recommended.

Source Code premi

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!