Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

Mkreku spent the new year in Ukraine, I think. He even posted pictures of the lady.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I saw Thor 3D last night. It was fun, if not so memorable. My Ukrainian mail order bride loved it though, so it was worth it.

You have an Ukrainian mail bride? :o

Didn't you see the picture. It looked like my niece with an afghan hound sitting on her head.

Are you pulling my leg or did that really happen? Because i'm very gullible.

You guys wouldn't do all this to make fun of me would you? :)

Here you go.

Mkreku spent the new year in Ukraine, I think. He even posted pictures of the lady.

I saw Thor 3D last night. It was fun, if not so memorable. My Ukrainian mail order bride loved it though, so it was worth it.

You have an Ukrainian mail bride? :o

Didn't you see the picture. It looked like my niece with an afghan hound sitting on her head.

Are you pulling my leg or did that really happen? Because i'm very gullible.

You guys wouldn't do all this to make fun of me would you? ;(

Here you go.

:sweat: I must have missed class that day.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Thor.

Some impressive visuals and architecture in Asgard.. I almost didn't recognise Colm Feore under the disguise of the Frost Giant King..and I totally didn't click to Rene Russo as Frigga.

Manages to cram in the basic story of an overweeningly proud Thor slammed to Earth and learning a bit of humility and care.

Although it takes about half an hour before the action actually reaches Earth.

Loki is sneaky but doesn't really feel as if he has much presence so I'm a little meh over that.

Heimdall got some dry lines in which amused.

Natalie Portman looks pretty as the astrophysics geek looking into einstein-wotsit bridges and wormholes.. (which by another name get classed as the Bifrost or Rainbow Bridge...).

They have a nicely uncredited appearance of Clint / Hawkeye when Shield turn up and play the big spooky men in black role.

The ending is set up so while the "story" completes.. it hangs a massive notice of "This is where the sequel is going".

- Note: And apparently Loki and a bunch of background characters from this film are on the credits for The Avengers film...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Thor.

Some impressive visuals and architecture in Asgard.. I almost didn't recognise Colm Feore under the disguise of the Frost Giant King..and I totally didn't click to Rene Russo as Frigga.

Manages to cram in the basic story of an overweeningly proud Thor slammed to Earth and learning a bit of humility and care.

Although it takes about half an hour before the action actually reaches Earth.

Loki is sneaky but doesn't really feel as if he has much presence so I'm a little meh over that.

Heimdall got some dry lines in which amused.

Natalie Portman looks pretty as the astrophysics geek looking into einstein-wotsit bridges and wormholes.. (which by another name get classed as the Bifrost or Rainbow Bridge...).

They have a nicely uncredited appearance of Clint / Hawkeye when Shield turn up and play the big spooky men in black role.

The ending is set up so while the "story" completes.. it hangs a massive notice of "This is where the sequel is going".

- Note: And apparently Loki and a bunch of background characters from this film are on the credits for The Avengers film...

You didn't see the "stinger" didja?

Probably the most memorable thing about this movie (to me) is the aesthetic of the Aesir and Asgard. I don't know why but the costums just seem wayyy to awesome, I think it's the capes.

thorodinloki.jpg

I do hope that they end up abandoning the earth locales... Asgard was just amazing, and the visuals there... *drool*

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Howard Moon: "It's the cape. It's the boots. It's the eyepatch. It's the golden pocket watch...

Vince Noir: "That's the theme I chose for you. You're the glam buccaneer!"

Howard Moon: "I look like a gay pirate on a fantasy weekend."

The Mighty Boosh - Jazz.

Appropriate, I feel.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I finally had the chance to put Tron Legacy on this afternoon.

Between the hdtv and the blu-ray player, that looks totally crisp and the colors just pop out.

It's an entertaining film in its way, but yeah, it still feels a little disapointing after the hype and the 20 year wait.

They just could have done a LOT more with the concept of being inside the computers of today. Also it needed some faster pacing.

I do hope that they end up abandoning the earth locales... Asgard was just amazing, and the visuals there... *drool*

At the end of "Siege" storyline in the comics, Thor moves Asgard to somewhere in the middle of Oklahoma, where it gets destroyed completely as it gets assailed and defended by pretty much all superheroes and supervillains on Earth.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

At the end of "Siege" storyline in the comics, Thor moves Asgard to somewhere in the middle of Oklahoma, where it gets destroyed completely as it gets assailed and defended by pretty much all superheroes and supervillains on Earth.

It was moved there just after the Civil War. Thor basically reconstituted it there and was finding the rest of the gods (who were stuck as humans) and centralizing them. Tony Stark tried to get Thor to register and register his family but thor basically kicked him all over the street and then threatened him with insane storms (in New Orleans no less) if he didn't back off.

Saw Thor too. Asgard was amazing. There needs to be another Thor film. It's the best magic as advanced technology anything I've ever seen. I always rolled my eyes at that stuff before, but they sold it.

Saw it in 3D and I'll say the 3D added nothing to it.

Black Heimdall is my favorite, now.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The Way Back -

6/10. Beautiful scenery. Some good acting. But lacking characterization that makes you care whether anybody survives or not, so the whole trek eventually starts to feel a bit too long. That kind of thing. So good, but not great.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thor was actually better than my expectations. Theatre for the 7:30 show on a friday was maybe half full, so I don't see it making too much bank though.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Yeah, it may stay for one more week or two in the top five but then it starts going up against other nerd properties... Like Xmen and Green Lantern.

Chalet Girl.

One of those UK Film Council films made with money from the national lottery and assorted others. So it has that fairly light look to it.

Typical mix of comedy romance about a tomboy who was a prodigy skateboarder until her mother died, then ended up in a dead end job looking after her dad (played by Bill Bailey). Opportunity turns up when she manages to get a catering/chalet girl job at one of those ultra-exclusive ski chalets in the Alps.

While there she discovers snowboarding and you get a lot of nice visuals of mountains and assorted ski / snowboard runs.

Add in the rich family that use the chalet , headed up by Bill Nighy and Brooke Shields with the typical handsome son (played by one of those guys from Gossip Girl) about to get engaged (the obvious romance issue) and the big end-of-season snowboarding competition with some serious prizemoney.. and it heads through the usual tropes and trials of such a movie.

Light, winsome, although a little slow moving at the beginning and it has a certain amount of British understatement. It's pretty much well-acted all the way around with some nice lines scattered around.

Although the sight of a wet, nearly naked Bill Bailey towards the end of the film might put some people off. :shifty:

Richard: [pointing at a helicopter] You ever been in one of these things?

Kim: [impressed but ultracool] Yeah, we have one at home. This one's pretty small actually.

Richard: Do we pay extra for irony?

Kim: No, the irony's free, it's the sarcasm you're paying for. Ironically...

Vishnu and Shiva would make kickass superheroes.

Plus there is no game over when they die, just a new avatar. :shifty:

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Chalet Girl.

One of those UK Film Council films made with money from the national lottery and assorted others. So it has that fairly light look to it.

Typical mix of comedy romance about a tomboy who was a prodigy skateboarder until her mother died, then ended up in a dead end job looking after her dad (played by Bill Bailey). Opportunity turns up when she manages to get a catering/chalet girl job at one of those ultra-exclusive ski chalets in the Alps.

While there she discovers snowboarding and you get a lot of nice visuals of mountains and assorted ski / snowboard runs.

Add in the rich family that use the chalet , headed up by Bill Nighy and Brooke Shields with the typical handsome son (played by one of those guys from Gossip Girl) about to get engaged (the obvious romance issue) and the big end-of-season snowboarding competition with some serious prizemoney.. and it heads through the usual tropes and trials of such a movie.

Light, winsome, although a little slow moving at the beginning and it has a certain amount of British understatement. It's pretty much well-acted all the way around with some nice lines scattered around.

Although the sight of a wet, nearly naked Bill Bailey towards the end of the film might put some people off. :o

Richard: [pointing at a helicopter] You ever been in one of these things?

Kim: [impressed but ultracool] Yeah, we have one at home. This one's pretty small actually.

Richard: Do we pay extra for irony?

Kim: No, the irony's free, it's the sarcasm you're paying for. Ironically...

Thanks for the review, personally I'd rather nail my testicles to a tree than watch it.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Oh come on, they're making a movie of Tin-Tin? I bet that they will censor every curse word that Hadock says :o

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides. It seems to be cool to hate these movies now, because this one's been getting terrible reviews. I think it's because of overexposure, or maybe the giant budget (which this movie doesn't reflect, it doesn't play out like a blockbuster, it's much more low key). It's actually pretty entertaining, much more like the first Pirates movie. A lot more standalone and adventurous, and for a Pirates of the Carribean movie there were not that many injokes (which is to say, quite a few but not exessively). Also had quite an Indiana Jones vibe, to the point it felt more like an Indy sequel than the last Indy movie (unsurprising, the writers Ted Elliot & Terry Rossio on their screenwriting column website Wordplayer.net have often referred to Raiders of the Lost Ark as the perfect movie).

I liked how there wasn't a lot of CG, and it was fun spotting Kauai locations that were previously used in Jurassic Park. Geoffrey Rush owned this movie, and Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley were hankfully absent. The plot was refreshingly simple and unlike the previous films some things were left to the imagination. They never beat you over the head with anything.

Considering this time they cannibalized Tim Powers' "On Stranger Tides" novel, I hope next movie cannibalizes plot points from that old cartoon show, "Pirates of Dark Water". Seems like right up this movie series' alley.

I saw Thor recently, I found it to be somewhat culturally offensive. I don't like the Thor comic series as it is... I really hate it now.

I also thought it was a fairly poor movie, it has some nice special effects though, and fight scene etc...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I can't wait to see On Stranger Tides. The poor reviews worry me, but I have to. I wish Ebert had a review out on it, I tend to value his opinion. He's often willing to review a movie well just for being fun or campy, like when he reviewed Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."