Goodbye GOG.com

taviow

I love the idea of DK and UU, but suspect I won't be able to get into them - with graphics this aged, some types work fine for me, some types don't. I remember trying DK and not being able to tell what was going on, it just felt like random blurred pixels bumping into each other in the dark, and I'll probably feel the same with UU's combat.

There's a key you have to press to make the graphics in DK go from this low rez, pixel city crud to something better, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. I had the same issue even back when it was released. It still looks fine on my 23" monitor today. imo. Altho I always played zoomed out all the way, never all in close, and if you were using DosBox or something, I can't speak to how it works using that.

You can download DK FX mod, which gives support for widescreen resolutions.

Also I love, love, love Dungeon Keeper. It's a shame though that Deeper Dungeons expansion pack isn't included in the gog's release.

I love the idea of DK and UU, but suspect I won't be able to get into them - with graphics this aged, some types work fine for me, some types don't. I remember trying DK and not being able to tell what was going on, it just felt like random blurred pixels bumping into each other in the dark, and I'll probably feel the same with UU's combat.

There's a key you have to press to make the graphics in DK go from this low rez, pixel city crud to something better, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is.

Press Alt-R.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up, GOG is having their overly long summer sale and today Ground Control(and it's impossible to find expansion) are 60% off. I don't know how many of you have already played it, but I really like its focus on small heavily customizable squads and tactical real-time gameplay.

And yes, I do realize that this sounded like a marketing blurb from the back of the box.

Edited by Purkake

You shill.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guest Slinky
Just a heads up, GOG is having their overly long summer sale and today Ground Control(and it's impossible to find expansion) are 60% off. I don't know how many of you have already played it, but I really like its focus on small heavily customizable squads and tactical real-time gameplay.

And yes, I do realize that this sounded like a marketing blurb from the back of the box.

Didn't they release Ground Control for free at some point? No idea is the expansion free too.

Though, I would still buy the GOG package even if it is freeware if I would be interested in it.

Takes one to know one...

Yeah well. Your mother!

I'll have to try GC though, yet another game I never got around to playing due to being broke at the time.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They need to add xcom and system shock.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

anybody else notice a problem with the thread title, particularly in light o' the fact that the genesis post is from 2010?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It was seriously tempting changing the sub-title into 'Never gonna give you up' :lol:

Not into the RTS games, but there are still two handfuls of titles on my wishlist there. Some of the extras are nice, like wallpapers, soundtracks etc.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They need to add the GB

They SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Need to add that whole series. They would make so much money off me alone.

But I don't think Ubisoft gives a flying fajita about SSI's old titles. Or there is some weird licensing hold-up with the old D&D licence.

None of the summer sales have interested me in the slightest, even though I'm ready and waiting with my money. Bah.

Apache v Havoc today, not sure if any of you lot were into military sim games, but this one was pretty cool to play. Kinda sad how they don't make as many sims as they used to.

You can get Xcom off steam, so it's likely legality that's stopping that.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

None of the summer sales have interested me in the slightest, even though I'm ready and waiting with my money. Bah.

The Longest Journey didn't interest you? Only because you already own it, right?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Also, Sanitarium.

The Longest Journey didn't interest you? Only because you already own it, right?

Well, its also like alot of point and click adventure games.

STOP TALE!

DONT DO IT MAN, FOR THE LOVE OF THE GODS

NOOOOOOO!!!!

I AM ENTITLED TO MY OPINION!

AHEM

CRAP! That's what it is :lol:.

Actually I'm kidding :D. Iz awesome really.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

You can get Xcom off steam, so it's likely legality that's stopping that.

You can get it anywhere that isn't GOG, which is why GOG not having it is pretty stupid.

And for System Shock there's System Shock Portable.